Register Now
Kane99

They really should make more games where you're an animal like Stray

On 7/22/2022 at 3:06 AM, Heatman said:

Don't they have something already with Goat Simulator? We already know how funny that was in terms of gameplay. But far from that, there are other games where you play as an animal which are more than just a simulator. 

Take for instance in Okami where you play and control a dog-like sun goddess in an action game which came out in 2008 on Playstation 2. With how popular the game became, it was spread to other systems. 

To be fair Susanoo in Okami isn't exactly a normal canine - I mean he's been blessed with Godly abilities. I think what @Kane99 was going for is something more along the lines of an animal simulator but making more entertaining.

On 7/21/2022 at 1:39 PM, Withywarlock said:

As said in a recent thread of yours, I'd nominated the developers of Stray to do a sequel to Dog's Life, a game where you play as a dog and do dog things like playing in parks, sniffing things and pooping. You also solve puzzles that will uptimately put a stop to a crazy cat lady's nefarious scheme to impound all dogs. It was a really fun collectathon that put a unique twist on things.

Stray saw the money on the table and just picked it up without any resistance in nearly 20 years. I imagine due to its greater success and coverage we'll see a lot more games like it. I hope we do.

EDIT: Just seen you quote my post in said thread. Great minds think alike!

The trick with these games as a developer is how do you keep them from getting extremely repetitive? From what I learned, Stray does somewhat fall into this category.

6 hours ago, Kane99 said:

There are many games out there that have been priced at $60 and have short stories/campaigns. Of course some of them also have a multiplayer mode, or their single player is replayable multiple times, but just saying, there's been many short games released for $60. Quantum Break is kinda of a recent one that comes to mind, well as recent as 2016 was. I remember the story being super short, like you could beat it in a 5-8 hours or something. I don't remember how long it took me when I played it, but I got maybe 8 hours out of it. 

But this is all subjective. I get not wanting to pay full price for a game with a short story. I rarely buy games these days, if anything I just use gamepass. I don't need every game out there, it's more than enough. Plus I maybe buy a few games on sale once in a while. My budget has been tight as of late though, so not buying games for a bit. 

I think it's a matter of choice, to me the length of a video game hasn't really been a factor that determines how much I am going to enjoy that video game.

Stray is a pretty straight forward game and the plot tells you that already, so I didn't really expect it to go more than 10 hours either.

On 8/4/2022 at 1:51 AM, Clasher said:

Stray is a pretty straight forward game and the plot tells you that already, so I didn't really expect it to go more than 10 hours either.

If the game was up to 10 hours, I'm not sure if any gamer would be moaning about its duration in response to the price it was sold for. 

Catlateral Damage is another similar game like Stray where you have to play as a Cat too. 

1 hour ago, NightmareFarm said:

They should make them VR compatible too!

There's actually a rumour that Naughty Dog is working on making it VR compatible. I saw a content on Reddit sometime ago but it's all just rumours without any concrete facts behind. But it would be nice if they do that because there's so much you can do with VR while playing the game. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

There's actually a rumour that Naughty Dog is working on making it VR compatible. I saw a content on Reddit sometime ago but it's all just rumours without any concrete facts behind. But it would be nice if they do that because there's so much you can do with VR while playing the game. 

Naughty Dog didn't make Stray. It was developed by BlueTwelve Studio and published by Annapurna Interactive. 

2 hours ago, NightmareFarm said:

They should make them VR compatible too!

Honestly would be pretty cool. Especially if they can make it in first person as well. 

9 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Naughty Dog didn't make Stray. It was developed by BlueTwelve Studio and published by Annapurna Interactive. 

Honestly would be pretty cool. Especially if they can make it in first person as well. 

I'm not sure if VR for stray would be quite a good idea, but I think I'll have to see it first before I judge if it's good. 😎
There are too little epic VR games at the moment. 🤔

After reading the topic title again i just gotta mention some games where you play as an animal, probably the most funny one would be Untitled Goose Game man causing havoc with an out of controle goose never get's old. I already mentioned Endling : extinction is forever but have yet to play it myself but from reviews it's supposed to be good.

Another one that could be off possible interest is the Good Life set in a small english village where you can morph into a cat or dog, haven't played much myself yet but from what i've played looks to be promising to say the least. It's made by Swery65 the main man behind Deadly premonition so it can't possible be bad now can it. I backed the kickstarter for this. 

Also we just gotta mention Tokyo jungle released on the ps3, goddamn one of the weirdest survival games you'll ever going to play, if you find the time looks up some gamplay footage and you'll know what i'm talking about. Don't know if you can still buy it from the ps store but if not it also got released physical on psn compilation disc.

12 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Sorry, I had that jumbled up. You're right, it was BlueTwelve Studio that developed Stray. If they can get the game to be VR compatible, it's going to push in more gamer to get the game no doubt. It would even justify the price of the game more. 

15 hours ago, Heatman said:

Catlateral Damage is another similar game like Stray where you have to play as a Cat too. 

I know there are other games like stray and that's why I mentioned somewhere that stray is one game of its kind to even be recieving this kind of attention , which has made it a success and more could be done to improve it.

46 minutes ago, Clasher said:

I know there are other games like stray and that's why I mentioned somewhere that stray is one game of its kind to even be recieving this kind of attention , which has made it a success and more could be done to improve it.

Yeah. Stray is a very good upgrade on any animal simulator games that used the same mechanics. It was way better than what you get to play and enjoy in Catlateral Damage. From the reviews so far on both of them, Stray stood out so well. 

5 hours ago, Heatman said:

Sorry, I had that jumbled up. You're right, it was BlueTwelve Studio that developed Stray. If they can get the game to be VR compatible, it's going to push in more gamer to get the game no doubt. It would even justify the price of the game more. 

I imagine the controls might need to be changed to make it work, and be more immersive. But I could see VR being really fun in a game like this. Especially when running from those weird head crab enemies the game has. Yuck, that'd be scary. 

13 hours ago, Heatman said:

Yeah. Stray is a very good upgrade on any animal simulator games that used the same mechanics. It was way better than what you get to play and enjoy in Catlateral Damage. From the reviews so far on both of them, Stray stood out so well. 

That's my point exactly.

I could still see more features added to stray maybe in a sequel or a remake of this game.

18 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I imagine the controls might need to be changed to make it work, and be more immersive. But I could see VR being really fun in a game like this. Especially when running from those weird head crab enemies the game has. Yuck, that'd be scary. 

It's going to completely change everything about the gameplay and I believe that it's going to be a lot more fun in terms of what you can be able to pull off playing the game. 

9 hours ago, Clasher said:

That's my point exactly.

I could still see more features added to stray maybe in a sequel or a remake of this game.

A remake of Stray? It's going to take a very long time before we see that happen or even if it happens at all. 

5 hours ago, Heatman said:

It's going to completely change everything about the gameplay and I believe that it's going to be a lot more fun in terms of what you can be able to pull off playing the game. 

A remake of Stray? It's going to take a very long time before we see that happen or even if it happens at all. 

Honestly I don't think you'd have to change much to make it work in VR. I imagine the controls would still work, but would need some tooling to work properly. 

But, I don't see a remake of this game for a long time. I doubt we'll ever see a remake. Small indie games like this don't tend to get those.