Register Now
Yaramaki

Let's talk about Toy to life games ?

9 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Was Skylanders the ones that featured the likes of Spyro? Or was there another one I'm forgetting? 

Correct. "Featured" is putting it generously: putting him to the side of another, less noteworthy character in the game subtitled Spyro's Adventure is a sign of things to come. There's a game of Spot the Difference below.

SI_Wii_SkylandersSpyrosAdventure_image1600w.jpg

MV5BMTUxMTg5MjE5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzYxOTM5MDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

9 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Also, wasn't there another game where it utilized cards much like amiibos and such?

That was Lightseekers. I say was because it evolved into a what appears to be a pretty decent card game, and is free on Steam. The shortlived TTL component was mobile only and was an ARPG but a bit more like Diablo than Skylanders. The toys themselves were decent: I had Tyrax the dinosaur engineer who could equip a hammer and other goodies that were sold seperately, like how Starlink lets you attach different weapons to your ship.

Edited by Withywarlock
Image Formatting.

5 hours ago, runswithspatulas said:

the only toys to life game i had was animal crossing new leaf. we had the amiibo characters we placed on the screen of the 3DS. i still have the figures. 

I'm not familiar with Amiibo, so you'll have to tell me what the Amiibo added to the experience. Were they worth it?

34 minutes ago, runswithspatulas said:

It would then invite these characters to your campsite to so you could purchase things from them. Now they are just nick nacks.

Ah OK. I think the build quality of Amiibo are exceptionally good so having them as nick nacks is nice, but I wouldn't pay the retail price just to buy a few in-game items with them.

15 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Who remembered U.B Funkeys?

I do. Much like Skylanders and co. they were played through a devices connected via USB, and they'd have mini-games and some overarching story. Each Funkey came with their own world and minigames I believe. I bought a load (all sealed) for £15, but it wasn't really worth it as the software to play it requires some reverse engineering to get going.

17 minutes ago, Heatman said:

It's supposedly seen as the first Toy to Life game that dated all back to 2007 if got that right.

Correct. I struggle to find any earlier examples of Toys to Life as we know them quite like U.B Funkeys. Until proven otherwise I say they're the first, and the Toys to Life genre enjoyed a nice holiday before Skylanders came along.

4 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

Ah OK. I think the build quality of Amiibo are exceptionally good so having them as nick nacks is nice, but I wouldn't pay the retail price just to buy a few in-game items with them.

at the time i didn't know what they were for. i only bought like 3. the new amiibo are in the form of cards for the switch. it's just so you can invite them to your island. that's it. except for the specialty ones that come with all their furnishings and clothes. 

As a kid I did have daily fantasies about having my own Lego games collection but we can't always get what we want and now several years later i don't even realize I now have a nephew who loves Lego games and since I couldn't have it as a kid I just get them for him.