Register Now
StaceyPowers

How often do you buy video games the week they release?

Zero purchases during game's first one week of release. I buy video games after some weeks passed or months, at times it is around three weeks of the game's release. At times, I wait like 2-3 months before getting the game. The reason is because, I want to learn from the fist timers of the game, if the game truly worth the money or another nightmare. 

Not often anymore but the ones i buy during the first week are usually more smaller physical releases because i want to support the game and it just makes me happy the fact they bothered with a physical release. 

Games from companies like limited run and the likes, you have no other options then to pre order them during a certain window, otherwise you're out of luck and will have to resort to ebay and mostlikly end up paying a premium for their games.

Nintendo published games that i want i tend to buy during their first week since they never drop in price anyway, i would have picked up xenoblade chronicles 3 this friday but i'll leave for vacation in the weekend so that will have to wait until i get back.

Other then the above mentioned cases, i'll hold off and look out for sales because their is always a bargain to be found online and let's face it, games drop so fast in price these days that you'd be stupid to not hold off. 

With bigger releases you're screwed anyway if you buy them day one, not only do you pay more, you also usually get to play a worse version of the game because the game needs to be patched. No i'd rather wait not only i get the game cheaper that way on top of that i also get to play a better version of the game.

Not as often as I used to, though I purchased stray the week it was released and that's because I have been keeping an eye on it for a while now.

I haven't purchased any game in the last 4 month the week it was released obviously with an exception of stray.

I have quite a good number of unfinished games and any game I purchase now would suffer Because I wouldn't give it as much time as I am supposed to or they would just stay unplayed for a really long time.

Unless it's a game that I really wanted and it's been on my wishlist for awhile till it's out then I buy it, that being said it's not that often, might be lucky to buy outright on release once a year or not. I always end up buying games down the raod later at a good sale or price deal. 

There are games that I want to get that are coming, however it's the cost of the games that at times I say NOPE. Even with stray, it's £24 and yet I do not know if I want to get it, partly since it's 9 hours story and and of the day, I just end upwatching other people play yhr game in twitch and saving the time buying it and playing it myself.

It's very rare that I do. The exception I make consistently is Total War: Warhammer, all three games I preordered because they have a bonus army locked behind a pre-release paywall. I won't go any further into that because we've had three (four?) threads on the subject recently.

7 hours ago, Empire said:

There are games that I want to get that are coming, however it's the cost of the games that at times I say NOPE. Even with stray, it's £24 and yet I do not know if I want to get it, partly since it's 9 hours story and and of the day, I just end upwatching other people play yhr game in twitch and saving the time buying it and playing it myself.

I concur with Stray. I really want to get it: it's a game I've followed since its announcement and it's exactly the sort of thing that makes me want to pay full price to show the market I want more of this, but I'm beyond that mindset now and I currently lack the disposable income to do so for such a game.

In slightly better circumstances I'd grab it in a heartbeat, but this is one I can't get upon it's release. A shame as it's the most impressive title in a long time to lure me into getting it that early.

Usually I don't unless it's a game I really want. Last game I purchased brand new, was probably RDR2, but I am not 100% anymore. It may have been WWE 2K22, but I forget. Either way, I don't usually buy the first, second or even the third week. These days I just get gamepass and that's really all I ever need. I download some games, play them, and then move on to the next. I play older games more than I play newer games. I also buy older games more than I buy newer games. It helps having gamepass, so I haven't had to purchase much as of late. 

It's actually the game in question that's going to decide when I would be buying the game. Take for instance, with God of War Ragnarok, it's a game that I'm most likely going to purchase on the first day of its release. 

On 7/27/2022 at 3:57 PM, Kane99 said:

Usually I don't unless it's a game I really want. Last game I purchased brand new, was probably RDR2, but I am not 100% anymore. It may have been WWE 2K22, but I forget. Either way, I don't usually buy the first, second or even the third week. These days I just get gamepass and that's really all I ever need. I download some games, play them, and then move on to the next. I play older games more than I play newer games. I also buy older games more than I buy newer games. It helps having gamepass, so I haven't had to purchase much as of late. 

I did get RDR2 when it came out on Xbox One the first week but that's about it. I usually wait for reviews and a reasonable deal before I buy any modern games - it has saved me from many disappointments like GTA trilogy edition.

3 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I did get RDR2 when it came out on Xbox One the first week but that's about it. I usually wait for reviews and a reasonable deal before I buy any modern games - it has saved me from many disappointments like GTA trilogy edition.

I actually got caught up in that GTA Trilogy BS. Everyone thought that it's something that's going to deliver because of the company behind it but it was a major disappointment and a big disaster even at the price it was sold at. 

10 hours ago, killamch89 said:

That was a for sure day one buy for me. I wasn't going to not get RDR2. I got it originally on Xbox when it first came out, and then I got it about a year or so ago on PC and just started playing a ton of it the past few months. 

These days, it's mostly gamepass otherwise. 

18 hours ago, Kane99 said:

These days, it's mostly gamepass otherwise. 

When there's a way to spending less on video games one plays, it's always a good option to consider. If it's a game that's going to come to Gamepass or PS Now, it's definitely worth the wait. 

Very rarely unless it's for a franchise I love, and I don't generally get interested in a lot of AAA franchises most people love. Generally, I just find it difficult to get into a new franchise I've never known before, so I became a very fussy buyer. The last time I paid for a game before it was even released was for Soul Hackers 2, but only because I've devoted myself to play all SMT games. Before that, it was the Chaos;Head Double Pack on the Switch, which is set to release this October.

Usually, I would only wait for the reviews to come out and decide from the word-of-mouth whether the game is worth playing or not. And even then, I would probably wait up to two years before I find the motivation to buy the game.

On 7/24/2022 at 8:48 AM, Justin11 said:

Zero purchases during game's first one week of release. I buy video games after some weeks passed or months, at times it is around three weeks of the game's release. At times, I wait like 2-3 months before getting the game. The reason is because, I want to learn from the fist timers of the game, if the game truly worth the money or another nightmare. 

Cyberpunk 2077 taught me a very big lesson on this one with regards to your reason for not purchasing any game immediately it gets released. I can't regret that decision more than enough because I could have avoided the whole thing if I had listened to my guys.