Register Now
StaceyPowers

How often do you buy video games the week they release?

On 9/2/2022 at 9:34 PM, Heatman said:

Cyberpunk 2077 taught me a very big lesson on this one with regards to your reason for not purchasing any game immediately it gets released. I can't regret that decision more than enough because I could have avoided the whole thing if I had listened to my guys. 

It's a pity tho with your experience through Cyberpunk 2077. Their is nothing more depressing than spending money and regretting over what you purchased. I didn't go for the game during it's early released, no matter what was hyped around the game. 

The only way I'd be buying something within the first week if it's a game I really like, and if I had my eyes on it for a while. 👀

It's as rare as a blue moon for me, though.

I usually tend to see if the masses are clapping for it, or if they're in a shouting match with it lol. 😂

2 hours ago, runswithspatulas said:

as a general rule i try to avoid buying games until i get a good look at the gameplay. every time i make an impulsive buy i end up hating the games. if i've been looking at enough gameplay and have decided i'm fairly interested in the game i will buy it as soon as it hits the eshop.

That's actually a good rule of thumb actually, with no shortage of people streaming games and making content for twitch/YouTube?
It's better for the consumers and lessens the impulse buyers (though they still exist) 🤣

also, I like some of these YouTubers going:

I bought it and played it, so you don't have to (if it's bad) 😉

7 hours ago, runswithspatulas said:

as a general rule i try to avoid buying games until i get a good look at the gameplay. every time i make an impulsive buy i end up hating the games. if i've been looking at enough gameplay and have decided i'm fairly interested in the game i will buy it as soon as it hits the eshop.

Agreed - I usually wait for the review of games before I buy any games. The last time I pre-ordered a game, I still regret that decision to this day.

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

Agreed - I usually wait for the review of games before I buy any games. The last time I pre-ordered a game, I still regret that decision to this day.

i pre-ordered two this month. never have before in my life. ooblets is cute and i'm about to jump out of my skin waiting to play disney dreamlight valley!! 😁

5 hours ago, Gonassis said:

That's actually a good rule of thumb actually, with no shortage of people streaming games and making content for twitch/YouTube?
It's better for the consumers and lessens the impulse buyers (though they still exist) 🤣

also, I like some of these YouTubers going:

I bought it and played it, so you don't have to (if it's bad) 😉

only thing is...one man's bad may be another man's awesome!

I don't. Usually what I do is wait a few weeks for feedback and gameplay videos to filter out so I can see if it's something I'd even want to buy. Then if I still want to buy it, I wait until it hits $30 or less. The only games I don't wait for a price drop on are first-party Nintendo games, since Nintendo rarely if ever drops their prices.

On 9/5/2022 at 7:24 AM, Justin11 said:

It's a pity tho with your experience through Cyberpunk 2077. Their is nothing more depressing than spending money and regretting over what you purchased. I didn't go for the game during it's early released, no matter what was hyped around the game. 

Yeah, it took a very long while before they were able to get it in a way that it's easy for gamers to play. Although, they haven't addressed all the issues with it 100% but it's far more better than how it was when the game was launched. 

On 9/9/2022 at 2:04 PM, Heatman said:

Yeah, it took a very long while before they were able to get it in a way that it's easy for gamers to play. Although, they haven't addressed all the issues with it 100% but it's far more better than how it was when the game was launched. 

That's quite encouraging from the devs, had it been never corrected such early glitches, it would've ruined their game overall. And that will be massive decline in their own video game career when it comes to dragging much more sales. 

On 9/7/2022 at 12:12 AM, HowHammerYou said:

I don't. Usually what I do is wait a few weeks for feedback and gameplay videos to filter out so I can see if it's something I'd even want to buy. Then if I still want to buy it, I wait until it hits $30 or less. The only games I don't wait for a price drop on are first-party Nintendo games, since Nintendo rarely if ever drops their prices.

I really hate purchasing games when they are newly released and it ends up being bugs ridden in a way that it's going to make the game unplayable. It's a very frustrating experience and it's why I hardy do that often now. 

On 9/7/2022 at 12:12 AM, HowHammerYou said:

I only bought a couple of games on the first day they were released and for most of the games I played they were either bought a few weeks after they were released or a couple of months later.

When it comes to the release of a game, I always go by how excited I am for the game and how confident I am the game is going to be good before I purchase it. Usually, a first-time purchase of a game is very rare, especially within the first week of it releasing unless I know it's a game that I would definitely enjoy. I tend to wait a few weeks to see game play or reviews on the game if I am unsure and will then purchase it if I feel I will enjoy it. Other times I will wait for a price drop of the game before I purchase.

16 hours ago, Shortie said:

Other times I will wait for a price drop of the game before I purchase

I think I do this a lot, a new video game may be out at a particular price but some times I Just wait and after sometime when the price drops I would then proceed to purchase it.