Register Now
Shagger

I have a request...

I want a recommendation. For some reason, I want to play a good 2D Shooter, so I'm looking for recommendations. I'm sorry to say I can't really offer any point of reference nor narrow it down apart from I'd prefer it to be a PC game. An old school graphical look (16 bit era) would be cool, but not essential.

I did find a game on Steam called Ikaruga that matches what I'm looking for pretty close, but I'm open to other ideas. So if there is something you know of or have played, please let me know.

Edited by Shagger

You could do a lot worse then Ikaruga as it's still one of the best shoot em ups out there. It was also a good reason to keep your gamecube around for the longest time until they ported it over to modern consoles. I know of a ton of shmups that are worthy of your time, just don't know if they are on steam which i guess is what you are after, so let's have a search on steam on wheter they are avaible or not.  However i'm a console gamer and therefore i can't vouch how they perform on pc.

Crimzon Clover World Explosion -> Pretty recent release that has been recommended to me by a few people i know, since they were talking about it like the second coming of christ i decided to pick up the switch version. It runs pretty well, great bullet hell shooter that has multiple difficulty entries and is easy enough to pick up but hard to master, has some wacky mechanics i havn't seen in a shooter before. Yeah this seems like a good one to start imo. I don't know about the old school look as it looks more like a sega saturn game on steriods but you know old school enough.

Darius Burst Chronicle Saviours -> Latest entry in the long running darius series, you can't go wrong with this series, i'd say it's probably my favourite franchise in the entire shooter genre. All games are top notch quality, i played this on the Vita off all places had a good time with it. However if you ask my oppinion you are better off with the Darius Cozmic Collection that includes 7 games inc my favourite of the series the pc engine version of darius plus. I've also found this Hd version of G-Darius on steam but i can't say it's good or not, costs 30 bucks tough.

Ginga Force and Eschatos -> Going to list these together as they are made by the same company and are pretty much the same games, just the setting is different, had a lot of fun with these when they originally came out for the japanese 360. Story seems kinda wack from what i remember but overall worthy of your time and easy enough to get into. What suprises me even more the same company ported one of the rarest and best Bandai wonderswan games over to steam well what you know i learned something new today. i'm talking about Judgement Silversword offcourse.

Raiden V: Director's Cut -> latest entry in the longtime running series and it's is suprising how much raiden games are avaible on steam, yeah i meanly remember this 5th entry as it was an xbox one exclusive in japan for the longest time until they ported it over to other platforms. Still can't say much about this directors cut but as i only played the regulair version which is a decent enough entry in the series. Of all the raiden games i played the third game and fourth game are my favourites. There is also this compilation of four earlier games of which i only played the first raiden game of on the atari jaguar no less lol those were the days, i should hook that thing up and give it some love on of these days.

Bullet soul and Bullet Soul Infinite Burst -> Don't know why i waited this long since these should have been on top of the post, these are my absolute favourites in the bullet hell genre. Man they are perfect for beginners and aren't too brutal to get into and the gameplay is top notch, you feel like a badass in no time lol. Needless to say the music is top notch. I diden't even knew they were avaible on steam and were stuck in japan on the 360. Good to know so i can recommend them next time somebody asks the same question. I'd suggest picking up infinite burst over the original because it's essentialy an upgrade over the original game.

Obviously no shmup thread is complete without mentioning some Cave games  as they are the masters in the bullet hell genre but i just don't want to take up anymore of your time. But it's always good to reminisce every once in a while about a genre that doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Hopefully this is a satisfying answer to your question Shagger and is what you are looking for. If you want to me to do a post of the above mentioned Cave we can arrange that aswell. It's also been fun to browse trough steam as it's a platform that i quite honestly never use.

Edited by Yaramaki

4 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

You could do a lot worse then Ikaruga as it's still one of the best shoot em ups out there. It was also a good reason to keep your gamecube around for the longest time until they ported it over to modern consoles. I know of a ton of shmups that are worthy of your time, just don't know if they are on steam which i guess is what you are after, so let's have a search on steam on wheter they are avaible or not.  However i'm a console gamer and therefore i can't vouch how they perform on pc.

Crimzon Clover World Explosion -> Pretty recent release that has been recommended to me by a few people i know, since they were talking about it like the second coming of christ i decided to pick up the switch version. It runs pretty well, great bullet hell shooter that has multiple difficulty entries and is easy enough to pick up but hard to master, has some wacky mechanics i havn't seen in a shooter before. Yeah this seems like a good one to start imo. I don't know about the old school look as it looks more like a sega saturn game on steriods but you know old school enough.

Darius Burst Chronicle Saviours -> Latest entry in the long running darius series, you can't go wrong with this series, i'd say it's probably my favourite franchise in the entire shooter genre. All games are top notch quality, i played this on the Vita off all places had a good time with it. However if you ask my oppinion you are better off with the Darius Cozmic Collection that includes 7 games inc my favourite of the series the pc engine version of darius plus. I've also found this Hd version of G-Darius on steam but i can't say it's good or not, costs 30 bucks tough.

Ginga Force and Eschatos -> Going to list these together as they are made by the same company and are pretty much the same games, just the setting is different, had a lot of fun with these when they originally came out for the japanese 360. Story seems kinda wack from what i remember but overall worthy of your time and easy enough to get into. What suprises me even more the same company ported one of the rarest and best Bandai wonderswan games over to steam well what you know i learned something new today. i'm talking about Judgement Silversword offcourse.

Raiden V: Director's Cut -> latest entry in the longtime running series and it's is suprising how much raiden games are avaible on steam, yeah i meanly remember this 5th entry as it was an xbox one exclusive in japan for the longest time until they ported it over to other platforms. Still can't say much about this directors cut but as i only played the regulair version which is a decent enough entry in the series. Of all the raiden games i played the third game and fourth game are my favourites. There is also this compilation of four earlier games of which i only played the first raiden game of on the atari jaguar no less lol those were the days, i should hook that thing up and give it some love on of these days.

Bullet soul and Bullet Soul Infinite Burst -> Don't know why i waited this long since these should have been on top of the post, these are my absolute favourites in the bullet hell genre. Man they are perfect for beginners and aren't too brutal to get into and the gameplay is top notch, you feel like a badass in no time lol. Needless to say the music is top notch. I diden't even knew they were avaible on steam and were stuck in japan on the 360. Good to know so i can recommend them next time somebody asks the same question. I'd suggest picking up infinite burst over the original because it's essentialy an upgrade over the original game.

Obviously no shmup thread is complete without mentioning some Cave games  as they are the masters in the bullet hell genre but i just don't want to take up anymore of your time. But it's always good to reminisce every once in a while about a genre that doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Hopefully this is a satisfying answer to your question Shagger and is what you are looking for. If you want to me to do a post of the above mentioned Cave we can arrange that aswell. It's also been fun to browse trough steam as it's a platform that i quite honestly never use.

Those are some amazing suggestions, thank you so much. I'll have to do my own research before I decide what games or games to start with, but I'm spoiled for choice now thanks to you. I'll probably not bother with Darius Burst for now as that game is little bit expensive and more for bullet hell enthusiast, but the Cave games look cool (Especially Deathsmiles) and they all look fun to play.

Once again, thank you. Great suggestions.

Edited by Shagger

Have you considered playing the OG of FPS? I'm speaking of course about Doom. You can't go wrong with it.

If that isn't something you're interested in, have you thought about finding a good position in games like CoD and just sniping everyone/everything? I'm not the most educated on those style of games due to my psyche not being able to stand them due to my own experiences in the military, so that may not be anything like you're looking for.

I've been trying to find a good FPS myself. But I'm looking for it on either Switch or PS4/5.

On 7/25/2022 at 10:25 PM, The Blackangel said:

Have you considered playing the OG of FPS? I'm speaking of course about Doom. You can't go wrong with it.

If that isn't something you're interested in, have you thought about finding a good position in games like CoD and just sniping everyone/everything? I'm not the most educated on those style of games due to my psyche not being able to stand them due to my own experiences in the military, so that may not be anything like you're looking for.

I've been trying to find a good FPS myself. But I'm looking for it on either Switch or PS4/5.

Guess we won't be seeing @Shagger too much around for a while if he wants to master all those games. Guess you're going to have to keep the ship afloat for the upcoming couple of week.

Pretty sure this thread is about traditional shooters stuff ala Gradius, Salamander, R-type and Thunder force just to name a few.

@The Blackangel just tagging your name so you would read this, correct me if i'm wrong but from what i've read and gathered from your posts in the past you're looking for more of a single player story driven shooter, then i highly recommend trying out the Metro series, the first two games 2033 and last light are remastered and are both avaible in compilaton called Metro redux for ps4/xbox one and switch, not really sure why you want to play this on switch but the option is there. I'm sure you can bag this compilation for fairly cheap by now.

There is also a complete editon of the third game in the series for ps4/5/series x called Metro exodus, it's supposed to be more open world to a certain extent, haven't played this one myself as i'm still waiting for the complete edition to drop in price but only the ps5 version seems to have dropped to 20 bucks so far wherest the series x one hasn't yet.

Edited by Yaramaki

Honestly, have you considered some of what Newgrounds offers? They produced a ton of 2D shooters back in the day, some if I remember, were actually good and resulted in actual console ports. I think Alien Hominid or whatever it was, originally started on Newgrounds before it graced consoles. 

I think Hollow Knight qualifies, and I remember playing a bit of it. Was quite fun. There's also Broforce, Cuphead (if you want a challenge, I still haven't played it myself lol). Oh and if you want a classic, go with Smash TV on the NES. I'm sure you could emulate that no prob. 🙂

35 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Honestly, have you considered some of what Newgrounds offers? They produced a ton of 2D shooters back in the day, some if I remember, were actually good and resulted in actual console ports. I think Alien Hominid or whatever it was, originally started on Newgrounds before it graced consoles. 

I think Hollow Knight qualifies, and I remember playing a bit of it. Was quite fun. There's also Broforce, Cuphead (if you want a challenge, I still haven't played it myself lol). Oh and if you want a classic, go with Smash TV on the NES. I'm sure you could emulate that no prob. 🙂

First off, thank you for the suggestions, but I'd apricate it if you included links in these types of please.

@Yaramaki

I finally cave in and bought Bullet Soul as you suggest it would be good for beginners. Unfortunatly, I cocked up and bought the standard version of the games instead of Infinite Burst (They both cost the same), so I'll wait for Steam to sort out the refund, buy Infinite Burst they share my thoughts on it. I did play a little before requesting the refund and I like what I see so far.

8 hours ago, Shagger said:

@Yaramaki

I finally cave in and bought Bullet Soul as you suggest it would be good for beginners. Unfortunatly, I cocked up and bought the standard version of the games instead of Infinite Burst (They both cost the same), so I'll wait for Steam to sort out the refund, buy Infinite Burst they share my thoughts on it. I did play a little before requesting the refund and I like what I see so far.

oof, now that was a mayhem mix up hope you get that sorted out...

also I was wondering... I was never really super good at SHMUP games, but I still play it. lol, do you need serious training mode if you want to get better at bullet hell games? 🔥🔥🔥😭

5 hours ago, Gonassis said:

oof, now that was a mayhem mix up hope you get that sorted out...

also I was wondering... I was never really super good at SHMUP games, but I still play it. lol, do you need serious training mode if you want to get better at bullet hell games? 🔥🔥🔥😭

This is my first venture into bullet hell games. They seem relatively easy to control and the gameplay is self explanatory, but I do suspect they'll be very hard to master. I don't think I'll find a better way to get better rather than to just play the games themselves.

On 7/27/2022 at 4:32 PM, Shagger said:

First off, thank you for the suggestions, but I'd apricate it if you included links in these types of please.

There's far too many to name on newgrounds.com itself and most I have forgotten, aside from Alien Hominid. 

As for the other games I mentioned, a google search should find them all fairly easily. 😎👍

3 hours ago, Kane99 said:

There's far too many to name on newgrounds.com itself and most I have forgotten, aside from Alien Hominid. 

As for the other games I mentioned, a google search should find them all fairly easily. 😎👍

Why was that effort I suggested so beneath you, but it wasn't beneath @Yaramaki? What makes you too important to take a few moments to add links to a post? It's not much to ask when you recommend a game to someone on a thread like this to put up a link so they can see what you're on about. If you can't be bothered to put that low level effort of adding a video or a store page link into what you put into a recommendation, why bother post at all? Consider this, if I (as it the person you're trying to suggest games too) is not worth that bare minimum effort to up sources and information, why should I take what you recommend seriously? And then you have the balls to come back to thread and say "Fuck you, look it up yourself." I did not put this thread up for you to put in a bare bones effort just to add to the tally.

I was actually being polite before when I said;

On 7/27/2022 at 9:32 PM, Shagger said:

First off, thank you for the suggestions...

Because honestly, your suggestions were rubbish. Most of the games you suggested aren't even in the right genre. Alien Hominid, Cuphead, Hollow Knight and Broforce are sides rollers, not 2D Shooters and (with the exception of Alien Hominid) are popular enough that I obviously would of heard of them already, so it's pointless suggestions anyway. The only game you got right was a game that isn't even on PC, and what's worse, you'll suggest that a mod on VGR emulate an NES game, something that almost certainly require using pirate links to download the ROM? Where is your common sense? I thought before I made my reply to you "Is this guy trying to waste my time?", but I let it go and decided to be nice, and this is how you repay me in kind?

You what @Kane99, you attitude stinks. Do not reply to a thread like this of mine again. And for your sake, I hope you show the next person on VGR you recommend games to more courtesy than you've shown me.

Edited by Shagger

22 hours ago, Shagger said:

Why was that effort I suggested so beneath you, but it wasn't beneath @Yaramaki? What makes you too important to take a few moments to add links to a post? It's not much to ask when you recommend a game to someone on a thread like this to put up a link so they can see what you're on about. If you can't be bothered to put that low level effort of adding a video or a store page link into what you put into a recommendation, why bother post at all? Consider this, if I (as it the person you're trying to suggest games too) is not worth that bare minimum effort to up sources and information, why should I take what you recommend seriously? And then you have the balls to come back to thread and say "Fuck you, look it up yourself." I did not put this thread up for you to put in a bare bones effort just to add to the tally.

I was actually being polite before when I said;

Because honestly, your suggestions were rubbish. Most of the games you suggested aren't even in the right genre. Alien Hominid, Cuphead, Hollow Knight and Broforce are sides rollers, not 2D Shooters and (with the exception of Alien Hominid) are popular enough that I obviously would of heard of them already, so it's pointless suggestions anyway. The only game you got right was a game that isn't even on PC, and what's worse, you'll suggest that a mod on VGR emulate an NES game, something that almost certainly require using pirate links to download the ROM? Where is your common sense? I thought before I made my reply to you "Is this guy trying to waste my time?", but I let it go and decided to be nice, and this is how you repay me in kind?

You what @Kane99, you attitude stinks. Do not reply to a thread like this of mine again. And for your sake, I hope you show the next person on VGR you recommend games to more courtesy than you've shown me.

Seriously? I'm sorry, I thought they were 2D shooters. If you didn't like my suggestions, you could have simply said, thanks for the suggestions, or that I've heard of those games, idk if they qualify as 2D shooters, but thanks anyway. 

And I thought it was kinda rude asking me to link you to these games the way you did. Especially if you knew them already, what would be the point? As well, why should I have to link you to every game listed? Why can't you do a simple google search yourself? I find it highly hypocritical to say something like that when you could easily copy the words in my text, paste it in google and have the results you were looking for. It makes no sense for me to then go in and link you to everything when it would be just as quick for you to do it. Like come on dude. 

I don't get the hostility you have with me. I gave you suggestions, and you called me out for not linking to them and then call me rude when I say to search on google. I'm sorry if that came off rude, but I thought the way you called me out for not linking was rude, especially when it's such a trivial thing. I'm done posting in here, so go ahead and bring me down more I guess. 😞 

48 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

....so go ahead and bring me down more I guess. 😞 

Gladly, because you clearly haven't understood the lesson.

It is you that should be expected to link information as the the person offering the recommendations and information because it's not fair to expect me as the recipient to have to look up everything everyone posts. That is common forum etiquette and it's for a reason. Granted, VGR isn't as hectic and busy as some other forums, but imagine what it would be like on a forum where I would have to go through dozens of replies. Now imagine if all those replies were like yours where I would have research everything on my own. It's takes you a few additional moments to add links to you own post, but it could add hours of hassle for me if I was to be expected to look up everything from everyone without links to help me out. And that applies to not just me, but everyone who reads the thread who shares an interest in those same recommendations. That is, like I said, basic forum etiquette. It's an unwritten law that has basis in simple courtesy and common sense. Just like @Yaramaki, I would ALWAYS link to the games I recommend on the thread because it's just a few moments off additional time for me that could save everyone who reads that post a combination hours. It's a basic courtesy that is, apparently, beneath you. I don't know who you think you are, but what I do know is what you did was selfish, ignorant and lazy, simple as that.

Let me put it another way. If it were a gaming news topic, you would not get away with putting up the story without a source. It's not against any rule if you don't put up a source, but it's expected as a part of forum etiquette to do so rather than have everybody who reads the thread look it up themselves. That's just how it's supposed to be done. It's the same with this. What your saying is that everyone, not just me, has to look up the games you mentioned just because you couldn't bothered? No, that is not how this works.

The only time I DON'T link information for others to see when I don't feel the source deserves the traffic. For example, if I felt a journalism website was spreading false information, I wouldn't leave a link to thier article. I'd just tell the story and if possible try to find other, more neutral and better informed sources. Other than that, I feel it is my responsibly as the person putting that information out there to make it verifiable and easy to work with for the reader every time. You are just lazy and self-centred.

Edited by Shagger