Register Now
Kane99

I wish they'd make more music making games

Remember back on the PS1 when they had stuff like that MTV music generstor game. I forget the title, but you could make beats and actual music. Though it was limited, I thought the idea was cool. So why is it that we don't see more music themed games on consoles and PC these days? You'd think they would make more music makers/generators these days. I could see it going over very well with gamers and people into music. 

I can't really remember much from the ps1 era but  I kinda get what you are driving at.

Personally, I feel songs are short barely going above 5 minutes nowadays so it would be rather unnecessary making video games out of them.

It would suffice to make an album for a game or so and it would feature as the soundtracks of the video game I think that would be more better.

9 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Remember back on the PS1 when they had stuff like that MTV music generstor game. I forget the title, but you could make beats and actual music.

I don't remember the MTV one, but I had a demo (and later the full version) of Music 2000. It was a brilliant game and which provided some some basic understanding of music mixing, and with it you could make some songs that I'd consider worth paying for.

My guess as to why these games no longer exist, per the video linked above, is because Music 2000 et al invented some of the instruments and music mixing methods, now existing and having been improved/replaced by newer softwares. Music 2000 wasn't really a game any more than other audio editing software, except it was on a games console. Just because Sony Movie Studio 17 Platinum is on Steam does not mean it's a video editing game.

I wouldn't mind seeing more products like this, or perhaps in the style of Rocksmith where you learn how to use the instruments as you go along, and even have game elements to them to figure out the way you best learn your setup.

The problem with creating a music making "game" is that it's going to be very hard to come up with a combination between videogame and software i'd say it's damn near impossible to have a mix of both, sure you could add an indept tutorial but it's still going to be software, offcourse you could always add a campaign of some sort but then you probably have to strip out features so anybody could "play" it. 

Say a company makes a "game" like this, one huge factor to consider is copyright infringement because you're damn right some clever bastards are going to find a way to share copyrighted music and it probably could infact turn into the next kazaa or napster just to name a few. It's doubtfull any company  could handle the headache it would cause resulting in a couple of lawsuits here and there.

The next question is who on earth would want to make music on a console, when you have literally hundreds of programs avaible on pc (even some for free) that would do a much better job then any "video game" ever could.

Now to stick to the topic at hand i know off Xbox music mixer for the original xbox, i have a japanese copy that includes a dvd on how to use it but i'm not 100% sure if you can actually make music with it, since it's heavy reliant on online sharing between pc and xbox a lot of features are unusable these days.

Others i can think but sadly i can't say much about them are Traxxpad and Beaterator for the sony psp i have both of them at my parents place maybe i should try em out sometime soon. I'm sure there are a couple on the nintendo ds aswell but i can't say for sure what they are called. I do know one game had a simple piano addon that you could hook up in the gba slot of your ds i think it was called easy piano.

Had to google it because it's name eluded me but there is always Korg Gadget for the switch if you want to start music career which seems much more advanced then anything i've seen before on a console.

Edited by Yaramaki

mother 3 is an rpg where tapping buttons to the beat of the music has you hit the opponent multiple times. the game increases difficulty over time by making battle themes more and more rhythmically complex. the final boss battle is in 29/16 time! But not many gmaes with MUsic unless you make your own hehehe

7 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

The problem with creating a music making "game" is that it's going to be very hard to come up with a combination between videogame and software i'd say it's damn near impossible to have a mix of both, sure you could add an indept tutorial but it's still going to be software, offcourse you could always add a campaign of some sort but then you probably have to strip out features so anybody could "play" it. 

Say a company makes a "game" like this, one huge factor to consider is copyright infringement because you're damn right some clever bastards are going to find a way to share copyrighted music and it probably could infact turn into the next kazaa or napster just to name a few. It's doubtfull any company  could handle the headache it would cause resulting in a couple of lawsuits here and there.

The next question is who on earth would want to make music on a console, when you have literally hundreds of programs avaible on pc (even some for free) that would do a much better job then any "video game" ever could.

Now to stick to the topic at hand i know off Xbox music mixer for the original xbox, i have a japanese copy that includes a dvd on how to use it but i'm not 100% sure if you can actually make music with it, since it's heavy reliant on online sharing between pc and xbox a lot of features are unusable these days.

Others i can think but sadly i can't say much about them are Traxxpad and Beaterator for the sony psp i have both of them at my parents place maybe i should try em out sometime soon. I'm sure there are a couple on the nintendo ds aswell but i can't say for sure what they are called. I do know one game had a simple piano addon that you could hook up in the gba slot of your ds i think it was called easy piano.

Had to google it because it's name eluded me but there is always Korg Gadget for the switch if you want to start music career which seems much more advanced then anything i've seen before on a console.

Yeah that makes sense. Copyright is a big thing, because I believe even short sounds can be copyrighted. 

And I agree, it doesn't make much sense when there are so many apps out there, some that are free to use as well. But idk, I imagine they could figure something out. 

13 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

But idk, I imagine they could figure something out. 

The closest thing I've seen to things being 'figured out' is Rocksmith's CDLC (custom downloadable content), where people upload music on third party sites with the Rocksmith elements to play along to in order to be scored at the end. It's still using copyrighted material without permission, but Ubisoft turn a blind eye as long as you're not up/downloading songs they're selling as official DLC.

It would be nice to have some more music games and such, but copyright is a legal minefield that appears to be at its worst in music.

On 7/26/2022 at 1:45 PM, Withywarlock said:

The closest thing I've seen to things being 'figured out' is Rocksmith's CDLC (custom downloadable content), where people upload music on third party sites with the Rocksmith elements to play along to in order to be scored at the end. It's still using copyrighted material without permission, but Ubisoft turn a blind eye as long as you're not up/downloading songs they're selling as official DLC.

It would be nice to have some more music games and such, but copyright is a legal minefield that appears to be at its worst in music.

Didn't know that was an option with Rocksmith, but that's pretty cool. And yeah, I wish we'd get more Guitar Hero, hell a new DJ Hero would be cool. I still need to revisit that game on the 360, as I have the peripheral and the game, so I can actually play it. I just don't know if I can be bothered to hook up my 360 these days lol. 

How about making something like the DDR - Dance, Dance, Revolution Game again? I'm very sure that's one of most popular dance games back in the days. If they can make something like that again, well fans would be thrilled. 

Screenshot_20220831-135310_Chrome.jpg.647261343b3754d7a62fb17423ed0904.jpg

On 7/25/2022 at 9:20 PM, Kane99 said:

Remember back on the PS1 when they had stuff like that MTV music generstor game. I forget the title, but you could make beats and actual music. Though it was limited, I thought the idea was cool. So why is it that we don't see more music themed games on consoles and PC these days? You'd think they would make more music makers/generators these days. I could see it going over very well with gamers and people into music. 

They are majorly focused on making music games for android than they do for consoles or PC. 

I found on those article Here about 20 different music games available on android platform. 

I think this is the first time I have heard of a video game made for music creation, but it sounds awesome! I myself have always been a fan of music and I love to mess around with music and create my own beats when I can, it's fun and the possibilities are endless. I am actually shocked we don't see more of this if I am honest because things like music creation games could be great for kids if they are created right to learn music and lead them to things later on in life. I know we have games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero but they pretty much died out and anything music related now especially music creation is pretty much nonexistent.