Register Now
Clasher

Is there any such thing as "overhyped" or "overrated" video games?

13 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Most games we see today doesn't worth the attention it is getting, and the hefty purchase price it commands today, but due to over hyping, it became possible for them. 

That's true, I think the video game fans is also involved in overhyping as well not just the game companies, and most games you were convinced to play is usually recommended to you as a good game worth your time by other gamers.

7 hours ago, Clasher said:

That's true, I think the video game fans is also involved in overhyping as well not just the game companies, and most games you were convinced to play is usually recommended to you as a good game worth your time by other gamers.

I understand, at times what pleases Mr A might differ from what pleases to Mr B. That's where the mistake comes from, and definitely you'll recommend a game that you're pleased with. And to me, it wouldn't be the same, which means I dislike it. 

5 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I understand, at times what pleases Mr A might differ from what pleases to Mr B. That's where the mistake comes from, and definitely you'll recommend a game that you're pleased with. And to me, it wouldn't be the same, which means I dislike it. 

yeah, in the end it's all subjective. One person could love the game, and claim it's the greatest of all time, while another could come in and say they absolutely hated it and never want to play it again. 

We as people, are different from one another. I'm sure there are many things you love that I wouldn't be into. And the same from my end. I'm sure there are a lot of things I enjoy, that others would say is garbage. My taste in movies will sometimes be gawked at, and that's fine, we all have differing opinions about things. 

40 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

yeah, in the end it's all subjective. One person could love the game, and claim it's the greatest of all time, while another could come in and say they absolutely hated it and never want to play it again. 

We as people, are different from one another. I'm sure there are many things you love that I wouldn't be into. And the same from my end. I'm sure there are a lot of things I enjoy, that others would say is garbage. My taste in movies will sometimes be gawked at, and that's fine, we all have differing opinions about things. 

Exactly man. Just as you enjoy watching movies why I enjoy watching and playing football more than anything else. I might love some games and decide to do small promotion to the game to people close to me without a direct link to the company who made the game. It doesn't mean I'm promoting garbage, it is just because I love it. 

2 hours ago, Clasher said:

LMAO😅

So what's the comparison- "underrated" or "overrated" ?

Overhyped and/or overrated because that's what the thread's about. I'm of the opinion it's both. It's a fine game but it is not fully deserving of its praise, particularly from its more rabid defenders.

1 hour ago, Withywarlock said:

Overhyped and/or overrated because that's what the thread's about. I'm of the opinion it's both. It's a fine game but it is not fully deserving of its praise, particularly from its more rabid defenders.

Not many would accept this but I get the point and it's definitely worth mentioning and without any further description of what Elden ring was I am sure you know it well enough to give that review.

Seems like i never replied to this thread but overhyped and overrated i'd call both terms equally bad for a videogame or for any product for the matter. From personal experience those terms are usually associated and used by people who have no clue what they are talking about, you know those idiots who can't form an oppinion by themselves and take every word somebody else tell them for granted. Offcourse it's way easier to jump on the bandwagon and slam a product that is selling well and becomes populair instead of trying it out for themselves and see what it is like and maybe get an oppinion of there own.

Don't know where the above came from but it irritates the hell out of me, when i see somebody slamming on a game or a franchise they have barely or even never played because somebody else told them it was shit.

On 8/10/2022 at 2:08 PM, Clasher said:

Not many would accept this but I get the point and it's definitely worth mentioning and without any further description of what Elden ring was I am sure you know it well enough to give that review.

Do I get the utmost satisfaction from playing the game Elden Ring? The answer to that question is a big YES!! I don't care what others says about it being overrated or underrated. 

It's just elitism at play, gatekeeping, the same way bullies online call people who play easier simulation games "casual gamers" because we don't play Elden Ring or Battlefield. But I guess it depends on the context too, like all things.

Take for example, the Fallout series. I get why fans of the older games were upset that a gigantic corporation pretty much swooped in and seized Fallout from a bankrupt company and did whatever the hell they wanted with the IP and its lore. I get it. It's why I couldn't really fault them too much if they start to make comparisons between the first two FO games and the Bethesda-era games, maybe even calling the latter overrated because it's a genuine representation of how they feel about those games, that they were rated more favorably than their beloved first two games even though, in their opinion, they didn't deserve such ratings when they lack the merit that made the first two games charming and endearing to them. I personally never grew up with the first two FO and never got into them, so I couldn't give a crap what God Howard does with the IP and his 16 times the obsession with it, but I also don't love FO3 and New Vegas enough that I would be blind to the frustration fans of the original FO games were having.

In a more general context though, I don't give a crap that a game like Elden Ring is popular. I don't play most AAA games these days, so their existence means nothing to me. I'm too busy doing my own thing to argue with people on the Internet what is overrated and what is not. I have a life, and arguing about the IPs of billion dollar corporations isn't going to get me a medal from God Howard. They're not going to send me an exclusive package for defending or criticizing some game for being overrated/underrated.

Edited by Akun

As a fan of JRPG’s, a lot of franchises tend to have that one entry that’s significantly more popular than the rest of the series. A lot of the time, there isn’t a big change in the gameplay, and more to do with timing, or what console it was released on. So I always tend to find those entries overrated, because if you’re disconnected from its release, it doesn’t really stick out in the context of the franchise.

An easy example is Persona 5. Gameplay wise, there weren’t any significant changes from Persona 3 and 4 to warrant the meteoric jump in popularity. It was just the entry that was released in a timely fashion. Persona 3 came out on the PS2 the same year as the PS3 and Wii, and Persona 4 came out in 2008… on the PS2. Persona 4 was also remastered… for the Vita.

If this happened to Persona 3 instead, it would make sense, as there was a massive overhaul in gameplay mechanics between Persona 2 and 3. Though going from Persona 4 to 5, my reaction was “yup, it’s a Persona game”.

I would also say that the jump in the popularity of anime between 2008 and 2016 also helped too. Since a lot of anime fans that weren’t into RPG’s also went out and bought Persona 5.

3 hours ago, Grungie said:

An easy example is Persona 5. Gameplay wise, there weren’t any significant changes from Persona 3 and 4 to warrant the meteoric jump in popularity. It was just the entry that was released in a timely fashion. Persona 3 came out on the PS2 the same year as the PS3 and Wii, and Persona 4 came out in 2008… on the PS2. Persona 4 was also remastered… for the Vita.

If this happened to Persona 3 instead, it would make sense, as there was a massive overhaul in gameplay mechanics between Persona 2 and 3. Though going from Persona 4 to 5, my reaction was “yup, it’s a Persona game”.

I remember the reason I got excited for Persona 5 was because it was a darker and edgier Persona game than Persona 4, which was so tame with its "power of friendship" message it might as well have been a romcom, save a few suspense moments. But Persona 5 got big with its more mature themes, especially with Ann's sexual harassment sub-plot, so that really stood out for someone like me who kinda got bored of Persona games' dating sim element. The gameplay overhaul aspect (or the lack thereof) wasn't even something I paid much attention to because Pokémon games certainly didn't change that much for a long time anyway until Sun and Moon completely overhauled the "gym battle" gameplay, so I treated Persona games like I did with Pokémon games - like they were just another entry with a new story or world to explore.

Having said that though, even after having played it and kinda enjoyed it (maybe an 8/10 for me), I've only played it once and forgot about it. Didn't even feel motivated enough to buy P5R when it was released, so you might be right about Persona 5 being overrated. I'm certainly no fan of Persona games anyway, as I much prefer the mainline SMT games that are often overlooked in comparison to Atlus' more successful spawn, the Persona spin-offs.

Edited by Akun

2 hours ago, Akun said:

I remember the reason I got excited for Persona 5 was because it was a darker and edgier Persona game than Persona 4, which was so tame with its "power of friendship" message it might as well have been a romcom, save a few suspense moments. But Persona 5 got big with its more mature themes, especially with Ann's sexual harassment sub-plot, so that really stood out for someone like me who kinda got bored of Persona games' dating sim element. The gameplay overhaul aspect (or the lack thereof) wasn't even something I paid much attention to because Pokémon games certainly didn't change that much for a long time anyway until Sun and Moon completely overhauled the "gym battle" gameplay, so I treated Persona games like I did with Pokémon games - like they were just another entry with a new story or world to explore.

Having said that though, even after having played it and kinda enjoyed it (maybe an 8/10 for me), I've only played it once and forgot about it. Didn't even feel motivated enough to buy P5R when it was released, so you might be right about Persona 5 being overrated. I'm certainly no fan of Persona games anyway, as I much prefer the mainline SMT games that are often overlooked in comparison to Atlus' more successful spawn, the Persona spin-offs.

I don’t think it got bigger because of its mature themes, it really just looks like the timing of its release was what really did it. You have the previous games being released late on a console, and that tends to do a toll on the popularity of a game.

The reason why I look at the gameplay evolution (or lack thereof) is because most JRPG’s don’t go super crazy between iterations, so at face value, it looks random as hell why that one entry eclipses the popularity of the rest of the franchise, and it falls back to “obscurity”. Especially when you go back to play older games in a franchise, and you feel excited to play “the big one”, and realize there’s nothing really noteworthy about “the big one”.

14 minutes ago, Grungie said:

I don’t think it got bigger because of its mature themes, it really just looks like the timing of its release was what really did it. You have the previous games being released late on a console, and that tends to do a toll on the popularity of a game.

The reason why I look at the gameplay evolution (or lack thereof) is because most JRPG’s don’t go super crazy between iterations, so at face value, it looks random as hell why that one entry eclipses the popularity of the rest of the franchise, and it falls back to “obscurity”. 

But I think JRPG fans have already expected that kind of pattern, especially where the Persona and SMT games are concerned. Persona games have stopped overhauling their gameplay mechanics since P3, and SMT did the same with Nocturne, so I think pretty much most people who bought Persona and SMT games weren't really expecting some fantastic overhaul, the same way they didn't expect Soul Hackers 2 to have some revolutionary mechanic either because that's not what Atlus does anymore. I guess the timing of its release might have played a part, but when I ask myself what Persona and SMT fans would really expect with each new Megaten game nowadays, I really doubt a brand new sparkling gameplay mechanic would be it. I still feel like the story and characters are the main crux of what separates a game like Persona 5 from SMT V in terms of popularity and sales numbers. Guess which one did better? The one with the better story and characters, Persona 5. SMT V infamously failed because its characters were shallow and its plot meandered to nowhere, unlike the more consistent and solid writing of Persona 5.

Edited by Akun