Register Now
Clasher

Is there any such thing as "overhyped" or "overrated" video games?

5 hours ago, Akun said:

Yeah, but sales figures don't necessarily mean something is overrated though. Transformers films make tons of money, but they're some of the most hated movies in the entire history of cinema, period. That's why I find the term, "overrated," and its use, so arbitrary.

And if we're to dig deeper, what is the measure of whether a game is rated too high? In comparison to other games that you know of? Do you know every single game in existence? Have you played every single game in existence? At the end of the day, it's all an opinion based on your own experience. Someone who enjoys niched retro games might find modern AAA games overrated.

They’re the most hated by critics, but since they make billions on the box office it means that clearly someone likes them. That shows more of there being a disconnect between the audience and the critics. You’d be surprised at how many things in the entertainment industry (especially with film and music) where popularity has little comparison to critical acclaim.

Back to my actual topic:

These “one hit wonder” entries, those are usually associated with being the most famous entry, as that obviously means that’s the one most people know/played. A lot of the time, those tend to get the most recognition/praise from outside the fandom. You can see this easily in metrics from countless websites of people making lists and such.

Thats why I question why some of these franchise entries have a disparity between sales/popularity between the rest of their franchise. Did it change anything up? Was it a reboot, back to its roots? More often than not, the praise/popularity/sales have less to do with the actual game, and more to do with how it was released. It either moved to a different console, or the publisher actually felt like putting money into its advertising. It’s more obvious with franchises with their “one hit” being in the middle of the franchise.

If I handed you 3 subsequent games from a franchise, and told you to play them with zero research, then told you the middle one has triple the sales, you’d be confused. That’s my entire point.

I also strictly said these “one hit wonder” entries in JRPG’s are overrated in the context of their own franchise. I gave it a limiting factor from the get go for an actual realistic comparison. Trying to toss “have you played every game” at that is a straw man to try and act like you made a “gatcha” moment.

4 minutes ago, Grungie said:

Trying to toss “have you played every game” at that is a straw man to try and act like you made a “gatcha” moment.

Nobody's playing a straw man. Stop projecting your own insecurities. I was merely calling out how ridiculous it is to say anything is overrated at all when it's all subjective at the end of the day.

5 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I didn't add 2k games and battlefield, because I never played them, and I don't think I'll ever play such games in my gaming career. 

You know that there are so games development by 2K. You would have to be a little more specific about their games which you wouldn't be willing to play ever. 

8 hours ago, Heatman said:

You know that there are so games development by 2K. You would have to be a little more specific about their games which you wouldn't be willing to play ever. 

All WWE 2K games, aren't my choice, I love their NBA 2k games somewhat. I don't like WWE 2k games at all, I don't even think I can play them anytime soon. 

15 hours ago, Justin11 said:

All WWE 2K games, aren't my choice, I love their NBA 2k games somewhat. I don't like WWE 2k games at all, I don't even think I can play them anytime soon. 

I can't say that 2K have done just to any of their new WWE games. If I were to pick out one solid wrestling game that's been developed over the years, it's going to be WWE SmackDown! Here Comes the Pain. 

50 minutes ago, Heatman said:

I can't say that 2K have done just to any of their new WWE games. If I were to pick out one solid wrestling game that's been developed over the years, it's going to be WWE SmackDown! Here Comes the Pain. 

YES!!!! WWE Smackdown Here Comes the Pain is one of the best WWE/Wrestling games out there. Hands down one of the best. I really need to replay that game, maybe I'll get emulate it and stream it somehow. I miss the days of playing it. The current WWE games don't even come close to it. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

I saw the advert of that game in the past, upon it's high class, I couldn't mind it because it wasn't the kind of game I was looking for. No matter the promotion it gathers, I wouldn't go for it. 

On 9/15/2022 at 12:30 AM, Kane99 said:

YES!!!! WWE Smackdown Here Comes the Pain is one of the best WWE/Wrestling games out there. Hands down one of the best. I really need to replay that game, maybe I'll get emulate it and stream it somehow. I miss the days of playing it. The current WWE games don't even come close to it. 

I have looked long and hard enough amongst all the recent WWE games right from after WWE Smackdown Here Comes the Pain and there's no other game of the franchise that came close to it. If I could get my hands on it again even if it's on Playstation 2, I wouldn't mind playing it. 

On 9/14/2022 at 2:00 AM, Justin11 said:

Honestly, I definitely have to agree with you - even since 2k Games got WWE license from THQ, the series has gone steadily downhill in terms of quality and entertainment. The worst part about it is, some of the bugs that were present in previous releases as far back as 5 years ago, are still not fixed which is ridiculous considering what the game costs.

On 9/29/2022 at 3:16 AM, killamch89 said:

Honestly, I definitely have to agree with you - even since 2k Games got WWE license from THQ, the series has gone steadily downhill in terms of quality and entertainment. The worst part about it is, some of the bugs that were present in previous releases as far back as 5 years ago, are still not fixed which is ridiculous considering what the game costs.

Their is no major improvement in the game in the last five years, as I used to watch my friends play some of 2K games. Since the game isn't my type of genre, I wouldn't consider playing it anytime. 

10 hours ago, Syntax said:

This mostly is with new games, so games like No Mans Sky, Cyberpunk, etc. were "overhyped" and then resulted in poor experiences when it comes to the game itself sadly.

Now that I remember, Cyberpunk 2077 was pretty overhyped before it came out. The media wouldn't stop going on about it, hell, even I fell into the trap and almost pre-ordered the game. It's a good thing I waited and got a free key from a friend. That being said, since the recent patches and Cyberpunk Edgerunner coming out on Netflix, the game has rose in popularity again.