Register Now
Kane99

Bully Remake concept - Trailer in unreal engine 5

So this is just a fan re-creation of the trailer, and I guess it's made all in unreal engine 5. I think it looks great graphically, but the character animations and look of the characters aren't as good. Still, it looks way more realistic than it ever has looked before. Check the video out below, and tell me if you'd play this? 

I'm actually getting a little fed up with people doing "Remake" trailers in commercially available graphics engines (In this case, Unreal Engine 5) with no association with the games in question.

21 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I will definetly play this, I liked Bully back in the old days, it was a weird game for its time. 

And this post pretty much explains why. It's false hope.

It just gets the masses exited for something that is, quite literally, nothing. It's a video and not much more. People have been able to do amazing things with digital animation and set plays within limited digital environments for decades, all that Unreal Engine does is provide a tool to do so for the masses. The person who made this "trailer" obviously declared that it was fan made, but that doesn't change the fact it's gonna fool someone into thinking this is a real thing. Or, at the very least, drum up excitement to lead to inevitable heartbreak for fans for a game that was never going to happen in the first price. I guarantee you Rockstar know, and have known for ages, how badly people want a remake of Bully (and why not, it's beloved game), so what practical purpose does creating this trailer actually serve other than give somebody a wholly self-cantered chance to show off and make some ad revenue? Exactly, none. In a lot of ways, this no better than the  people who that made a fortune making up and hoaxing GTA VI "leeks" on YouTube and on social media.

To give this individual some credit, they do at least have talent and this does look amazing, but that doesn't change the fact doing such a thing is ego-centric, unnecessary and in the end helps nobody. This would be okay if it really was just received as a bit of entertainment, but we all know that's not what really happens.

Edited by Shagger

I feel as if it's a what if scenario. I don't think this concept is being made into an actual game. I think whoever made this, likes to see what a remastered, or remake could look like under unreal engine 5 with basic assets and character models. 

I get the annoyance in seeing these, especially if they were attempting to make an actual fan remake. Because we all know once something like that is announced, rockstar will be on their asses with a cease and disist letter to take it down. 

But with this, I feel it's just some dude making fake trailers to show off what could be if we did get a remaster. But we all know rockstar won't ever release a remaster or a sequel. Would be nice though. 

13 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I think it looks great graphically, but the character animations and look of the characters aren't as good. Still, it looks way more realistic than it ever has looked before.

I strongly disagree, I think it looks rather bad especially because it was cobbled together in Unreal Engine 5. Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption 2's style works because Rockstar know their engine - Rockstar Advanced Game Engine (R.A.G.E) - inside out. They made it, and had been given sufficient time to work with it. That's not the case with this game: someone decided to jump on the UE[X]-remake train and produced this. Of all the engines, sure, maybe Unreal is one of the better ones for making a fan project of Bully. I think Source would suit it better, but that's not as fancy, new, and ultimately wouldn't get as many clicks (unless of course it was playable and there was a download link, which I think is much more likely with Source).

I agree with Shagger's assessment: this, along with nearly all [engine] remakes, is a nothingburger. It's not the worst I've seen but that's hardly glowing praise.

I'm not having a go at you personally Kane, I'm glad you've shared this news because it reminded me I must replay the original as I hadn't given it the chance it deserved. It's just that I fail to see the point other than ad-revenue. It definitely needs more time in the oven before I begin to be impressed.

I like the work, but a few things what I thought. Definitely needs some work on the anti-aliasing part, as there are so many jaggered edges on the objects. Too much apocalypse themes in the world. Such as the main road to the school, street, etc. The broken flooring, etc. Crazy how other people can make this but multi-million or billion dollar companies somehow struggle to remaster the same games.

I sort of kinda liked the older feel of the aesthetic made by rockstar... that said these unreal trailers looks cool but it gives me some uncanny valley vibes...

Or maybe that isn't it... it just feels a bit off to me. But in any case, I liked the more cartoony feel of the older game, even if it was an sort of outlier game made by Rockstar Games. 🧨

I also recently watch a whole dissection of the bully game/story. Good ole memories. also, school politics that's cartoonized. ugh lol.

This was a very fun recap/review and revisit of the bully game overall. Give it a watch, the narrator adds more fun with the commentary too.

9 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

I strongly disagree, I think it looks rather bad especially because it was cobbled together in Unreal Engine 5. Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption 2's style works because Rockstar know their engine - Rockstar Advanced Game Engine (R.A.G.E) - inside out. They made it, and had been given sufficient time to work with it. That's not the case with this game: someone decided to jump on the UE[X]-remake train and produced this. Of all the engines, sure, maybe Unreal is one of the better ones for making a fan project of Bully. I think Source would suit it better, but that's not as fancy, new, and ultimately wouldn't get as many clicks (unless of course it was playable and there was a download link, which I think is much more likely with Source).

I agree with Shagger's assessment: this, along with nearly all [engine] remakes, is a nothingburger. It's not the worst I've seen but that's hardly glowing praise.

I'm not having a go at you personally Kane, I'm glad you've shared this news because it reminded me I must replay the original as I hadn't given it the chance it deserved. It's just that I fail to see the point other than ad-revenue. It definitely needs more time in the oven before I begin to be impressed.

The character models are awful, same with animations. But I did think the environment looked good. That's where I think it shines. I imagine this guy used assets available by unreal anyway. But if he actually made it look identical to Billy's landscape, I think it would have looked a lot better. 

Also, I did notice the colors seemed bleh, not colorful like current rockstar games would be. To me, it's just a what if scenario of a game like this being done in unreal, but very very early stages. 

No worries 👍😎