Register Now
StaceyPowers

Aspects of gaming you had to learn to appreciate

Random encounters in RPG’s. Part of it was my impatience, but playing a lot of those games that were early in having enemies visible on screen made it even more annoying. Especially when some of those games also expected you to grind. I can shut my brain down when I’m grinding in a game with random encounters, but having to leave the screen to reset the enemies over and over is obnoxious for me.

Learning to experiment at a young age and "think outside the box". Some of the first games I played when I was 8-12 were things like Kings Quest and Maniac Mansion and games like it. Some of the point and click puzzles like that were hard and there was not any easy way to cheat or look for answers like every second of every game on YouTube now. Even Beavis and Buttheads Sega game required similar skills but dumb ways to do things like they would.

Another thing for me is having to get used to fast travel in games. In the past I didn't use fast travel much in games, mainly because I didn't know it was an option in some games. Like Red dead redemption 1, I didn't know you could fast travel until I was nearly done with the game. When I found out about that, I used it a lot more often. 😄

On 7/30/2022 at 12:30 AM, StaceyPowers said:

When I played MUDs, for example, I really didn’t get why anyone did quests. But in single player RPGs, I obviously learned to enjoy them.

Huh, I never would've known that. Was there any particular reason why other people did quests in MUDs like material rewards or XP, or just for story?

~

In Hell Let Loose, you have to do things that may be out of your comfort zone. The first thing is communication: voice is preferred but text is somewhat OK. I'm rarely in a talkative mood so I try to join squads that're silent. Then there's learning new roles: you will one day have to be an Engineer or Support to help with the logistics, required to level the playing field. Your squad leader may leave, and so you have to take an Officer role so you can put down spawn points to save you running all across the map.

The game itself is decent but the best parts about are learning how everything comes together. Knowing your team won because you put down the resource nodes, destroyed garrisons, placed an outpost behind enemy lines, commanded that tank and frequently gave updates to the other 49 players is such a rewarding feeling. It's as much a shame to see people just main Rifleman or whatever fully-automatic weapon-using classes they can scavenge when they can provide so much more in such little time.

Hell Let Loose is a game that requires taking initiative, and given its price tag, you learn very quickly how to take initiative.

I didnt really appreciate in-game conversations , I just skipped it to the part where the task I am meant to complete is mentioned, I did this a lot with GTA- SA but when I started getting into RPG's I began to appreciate in-game conversations a lot and you can do without it when playing games like until dawn.

9 hours ago, Clasher said:

I didnt really appreciate in-game conversations , I just skipped it to the part where the task I am meant to complete is mentioned, I did this a lot with GTA- SA but when I started getting into RPG's I began to appreciate in-game conversations a lot and you can do without it when playing games like until dawn.

To be honest, I still do skip sometimes especially if the conversations aren't that interesting or the convo is extremely repetitive and boring.

9 hours ago, Clasher said:

I have a thing where if they're speaking I don't mind, but if it's in game conversation just via text, I tend to skip a lot of it. Sadly I did that in Skyrim and many other games. I can never be bothered to read a letter every 5 minutes I find one. I try to read in RDR2 for example, but I feel it takes me out of the game when I have to stop and read something. So I rarely bother reading notes/letters, etc in games. 

21 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

I have a thing where if they're speaking I don't mind, but if it's in game conversation just via text, I tend to skip a lot of it. Sadly I did that in Skyrim and many other games. I can never be bothered to read a letter every 5 minutes I find one. I try to read in RDR2 for example, but I feel it takes me out of the game when I have to stop and read something. So I rarely bother reading notes/letters, etc in games. 

After the first playthrough, I skip all the dialogue in Skyrim because I know what the NPC is going to say. The modded quest are different especially if I've never played them before.

4 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I have a thing where if they're speaking I don't mind, but if it's in game conversation just via text, I tend to skip a lot of it

This right here is one of those such conversations in video games I didn't pay attention to, but right now I do read them just to have a more in-depth understanding of the tasks or what the turnout of events should be like.

22 hours ago, killamch89 said:

After the first playthrough, I skip all the dialogue in Skyrim because I know what the NPC is going to say. The modded quest are different especially if I've never played them before.

I'll try to pay attention to the dialogue, but if it's just text based with no voice I will get tired of reading it fast. I feel it takes me out of the game when I have to constantly read stuff. But I do try to pay attention when it's important. 

18 hours ago, Clasher said:

This right here is one of those such conversations in video games I didn't pay attention to, but right now I do read them just to have a more in-depth understanding of the tasks or what the turnout of events should be like.

Yeah I need to start paying more attention with games like this. I guess I'm just lazy when it comes to reading, or when I see a wall of text on a paper I feel like I'm going to get stuck reading this and it'll take me out of the main story. But that's mainly with having to read letters and notes. 

43 minutes ago, Clasher said:

I really didn't like tasks which involved climbing and there wasn't anyway I could avoid it since it's a major part of God of war series, so at some point I had to adapt to it and learn how to enjoy it.

I don't much mind it these days. I remember hating it in AC games, at least the early games, because you had to click a button to climb. But they streamlined it a bit by making it easier to climb in AC 3 for example. Instead of clicking a button to climb, you just walk to it and it auto climbs for you. Made the climbing process less of a chore. Still a chore no doubt, but less of a chore.