Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games that traumatized you

Ghosthunter on the Playstation 2. I was never really into survival horror games though I had dabbled in Resident Evil 3: Nemesis on the previous system. I was basically jumping at my own shadow because I was anticipating a jump scare so greatly that I had analysis paralysis and ultimately had to return the game to the shopping centre I bought it from the following day. The thing is it was rated 12+ by PEGI (thus age appropriate), so I shouldn't have as upset as I was.

The thing is, were I to play it today I'd probably be fine with it. Maybe it's high time I conquered my fears with exposure therapy...

@StaceyPowers do you have any games that traumatised or otherwise disturbed you?

I wouldn't say I've ever found a game to be traumatic, but amnesia was the only game that actually creeped me out, and dog scene in resident evil was the first time that a game legitimately startled me.

I can't say I had any experience of games that traumatized me, as I didn't really get access to playing much games as a child, but there are movies that scared me. 😂
like pet sematary (1989) for example. 🙀

There are plenty of jumspcare games to play nowadays, and having played slenderman in the past, that didn't traumatize me... only scared me for a few minutes at best. 😋

It's hard for me to be traumatized during a game. I may be traumatized due to the shitty controls of a lot of games if that counts? 

Who here hasn't played a game with bad controls? Or games that have horrible frame rates, or just any game that doesn't run good at all. 

13 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Nothing so much as what you described, no! Though I did not like having to kill the pig in A Plague Tale: Innocence.

That's something I don't particularly like in any game. Lately I've played Warhammer: Vermintide 2 and despite the second coming of the end times, a rotund öatbrother has survived all the carnage with the skaven and the Chaos warriors. Of all the death animations, theirs is the most disturbingly real. I make a point of protecting the piggies now.

11 hours ago, Kane99 said:

It's hard for me to be traumatized during a game. I may be traumatized due to the shitty controls of a lot of games if that counts? 

Who here hasn't played a game with bad controls? Or games that have horrible frame rates, or just any game that doesn't run good at all. 

As amusing as that is, I don't think being mildly annoyed is quite the same as traumatised! Then again, the controls were the biggest reason why The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance - Tactics is my least favourite game of all time, and that's after years of Crash Bash having taken that place.

On 7/31/2022 at 3:14 AM, Withywarlock said:

That's something I don't particularly like in any game. Lately I've played Warhammer: Vermintide 2 and despite the second coming of the end times, a rotund öatbrother has survived all the carnage with the skaven and the Chaos warriors. Of all the death animations, theirs is the most disturbingly real. I make a point of protecting the piggies now.

As amusing as that is, I don't think being mildly annoyed is quite the same as traumatised! Then again, the controls were the biggest reason why The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance - Tactics is my least favourite game of all time, and that's after years of Crash Bash having taken that place.

Fair point. Just can't stand some games with poor controls. 

Anyway, I guess a game that did kinda traumatize me, was probably one point in assassin's Creed 3 where you find one of your friends dead. It reminded me of a time my father and I found our neighbor dead, so it brought me back to that moment. Was uncomfortable but I got through the game. It was only one moment near the end of the game.

8 hours ago, Clasher said:

I wouldn't say traumatized but I felt some empathy in that part from spec ops: the line where cpt . Walker used phosphorus bomb to kill those civilian NPC's.

That game right there is so damn depressing. I wouldn't say it traumatized me either, but it was a nice twist on the game, showing that war is so damn messed up. I honestly think it's one of those games that can be referenced in teachings about ptsd and the problems with war. It's one of those games that reels you in with your typical shooter, but that story draws you further in because it makes you feel in some way. I'd say that scene shocked me, because I didn't expect the main character to be suffering as much as he was. 

4 hours ago, Kane99 said:

That game right there is so damn depressing. I wouldn't say it traumatized me either, but it was a nice twist on the game, showing that war is so damn messed up. I honestly think it's one of those games that can be referenced in teachings about ptsd and the problems with war. It's one of those games that reels you in with your typical shooter, but that story draws you further in because it makes you feel in some way. I'd say that scene shocked me, because I didn't expect the main character to be suffering as much as he was. 

That's true.

I like the twist, I know its gruesome and terrible but what other way would they be able to make their statement about the use of chemical weapons and the damages of wars and even it's effect on the military personnel.

I really like the game and usually revisit the scene just to be able to feel the pain of those people who are currently in war thorn areas and zones going through similar conditions.

18 hours ago, Clasher said:

That's true.

I like the twist, I know its gruesome and terrible but what other way would they be able to make their statement about the use of chemical weapons and the damages of wars and even it's effect on the military personnel.

I really like the game and usually revisit the scene just to be able to feel the pain of those people who are currently in war thorn areas and zones going through similar conditions.

It's a depressing moment indeed. To know this character is possible bad himself, was a big thing. And to see the moments where he was making rash decisions even though we as the player at the time thought everything was mostly fine, as fine as being in a warzone could be. I love the game for its portrayal of PTSD as its happening. To show that any soldier out there could be dealing with a similar situation. 

It sucks that it was overlooked as just another shooter at release, because I think if more people played this, we would have been screaming game of the year contender. But, the gameplay isn't that great, and got repetitive fast.