Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games that traumatized you

When a game suffers me for long and their is no real progress made upon many attempts. Then I'll consider the game traumatic for me. Psychologically, emotional, it causes depression to my health since it pisses me off. And examples of those games are: dark souls III, God of war II and III, Contra 4. 

7 hours ago, Justin11 said:

When a game suffers me for long and their is no real progress made upon many attempts. Then I'll consider the game traumatic for me. Psychologically, emotional, it causes depression to my health since it pisses me off. And examples of those games are: dark souls III, God of war II and III, Contra 4. 

I don't think that really qualifies as a traumatized moment. Sure you can get mad because it takes so many attempts to beat something, but I wouldn't say that is traumatizing. I made the mistake of using the word wrong myself. But to me traumatized is to be scared essentially. Have those games ever scared you? Dark Souls is often a dark and is supposed to be kinda scary I guess. But I don't know if I would qualify it as a traumatizing game, unless there was some severe gore and offensive content that traumatized you. 

On 8/4/2022 at 7:37 PM, Kane99 said:

I love the game for its portrayal of PTSD as its happening. To show that any soldier out there could be dealing with a similar situation. 

I have never been in the military but I got friends who are currently serving in the army and stories they tell about the warzone is similar to what the developers were trying to portray.

On 8/4/2022 at 7:37 PM, Kane99 said:

It sucks that it was overlooked as just another shooter at release, because I think if more people played this, we would have been screaming game of the year contender. But, the gameplay isn't that great, and got repetitive fast. 

The gameplay was one of the  downsides of the video game , but it was sure fun to play though.

1 hour ago, Clasher said:

I have never been in the military but I got friends who are currently serving in the army and stories they tell about the warzone is similar to what the developers were trying to portray.

The gameplay was one of the  downsides of the video game , but it was sure fun to play though.

And I think they did a great job portraying it. I've heard a lot about people who served in wars, and it changes people a lot. From taking a life, to being in a gunfight, being shot, or injured in general. There's a lot that changes in ones mind when they go through such things. They don't come home the same. And I think this game portrays that, because I imagine many soldiers lie to themselves about the things they see, and may even imagine what they want to better comfort themselves. 

4 hours ago, Kane99 said:

They don't come home the same. And I think this game portrays that, because I imagine many soldiers lie to themselves about the things they see, and may even imagine what they want to better comfort themselves. 

There would always the case of exaggerated stories just to make their story sound more appealing, but in any case I would still recommend spec ops to any one who likes tactical shooter games.

17 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I don't think that really qualifies as a traumatized moment. Sure you can get mad because it takes so many attempts to beat something, but I wouldn't say that is traumatizing. I made the mistake of using the word wrong myself. But to me traumatized is to be scared essentially. Have those games ever scared you? Dark Souls is often a dark and is supposed to be kinda scary I guess. But I don't know if I would qualify it as a traumatizing game, unless there was some severe gore and offensive content that traumatized you. 

The word 'trauma also refers as 'chaotic incidents that causes injury, it could be physical, emotional, psychologically and otherwise. If you check the game dark souls, it wasn't an easy go for me, lots of chaotic incidents that pained me in the axe, which perturbed my psychological reasoning at the moment because I felt mad not progressing to the next level after so many failed attempts. 

Edited by Justin11

3 hours ago, Justin11 said:

The word 'trauma also refers as 'chaotic incidents that causes injury, it could be physical, emotional, psychologically and otherwise. If you check the game dark souls, it wasn't an easy go for me, lots of chaotic incidents that pained me in the axe, which perturbed my psychological reasoning at the moment because I felt mad not progressing to the next level after so many failed attempts. 

Agree to disagree. I was told earlier a response of mine didn't make sense because it was just difficulty I was explaining. 

I mean, if it has traumatized you, why did you continue to play it? If anything I'd use the word annoyed, or something else to explain that.

When it comes to being traumatized, I imagine it being something more serious and sticks with you longer. Like PTSD from war, seeing a messed up thing in real life, etc. 

3 hours ago, Justin11 said:

That's stretching the definition and is not the context this thread started out with though. I get what you're saying, but it's not what the OP is looking for.

1 minute ago, Kane99 said:

When it comes to being traumatized, I imagine it being something more serious and sticks with you longer. Like PTSD from war, seeing a messed up thing in real life, etc. 

Thank you, this is what we're looking for or similar events that make it otherwise too offputting/upsetting to continue playing further.

33 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

Thank you, this is what we're looking for or similar events that make it otherwise too offputting/upsetting to continue playing further.

No problem. I know someone who for example is afraid of horses because of a past traumatic incident involving a horse. So this person won't watch or play anything with a horse in it. I think even hearing the sound of a horse brings that trauma back for them.

4 hours ago, Heatman said:

I can't leave out Spec Ops : The Line in this one. Even up till now, I can't get over the horrors that took place in the game. Also, the death of Aurthr Morgan in Red Dead Redemption 2 tore me apart as well. 

Yup, spec ops the line is one of those games that will traumatize many. I myself didn't feel that necessarily, but I did feel depressed after completing it and experiencing this characters decent into hell. Honestly, I wish more games did this type of subject matter, because it makes people think. 

On 8/8/2022 at 5:09 PM, Kane99 said:

Yup, spec ops the line is one of those games that will traumatize many. I myself didn't feel that necessarily, but I did feel depressed after completing it and experiencing this characters decent into hell. Honestly, I wish more games did this type of subject matter, because it makes people think. 

Ever since I got the game Spec Ops : The Line, I have only managed to complete it once and the level of traumatization I got from playing the game couldn't let me replay the game ever again. It's got a decent gameplay but the trauma was huge.