Register Now
NightmareFarm

Which game do you think has the best set pieces/QTEs?

I am going with Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor Edge. Each one feels so thrilling and satisfying whereas it can feel like a chore in other action games like Bayonetta. I especially like the sequences where you use kunai to climb up cliffs with the bumper buttons.

Edited by NightmareFarm

Oh goodness, I hate QTEs, they're the laziest form of gameplay in my opinion. If it's a small portion of the game and isn't the main focus of combat or the game itself, then I'm okay with a few QTEs, but if it's the full game and the game is made with it in mind, then no thanks. I can't do it. 

I don't mind stuff like David Cage does with Indigo Prophecy and telltale with the Walking Dead, because they aren't asking me to do a game of quick simon says nonsense. That irks me the most with games. I hate doing that in games. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

Oh goodness, I hate QTEs, they're the laziest form of gameplay in my opinion. If it's a small portion of the game and isn't the main focus of combat or the game itself, then I'm okay with a few QTEs, but if it's the full game and the game is made with it in mind, then no thanks. I can't do it. 

I don't mind stuff like David Cage does with Indigo Prophecy and telltale with the Walking Dead, because they aren't asking me to do a game of quick simon says nonsense. That irks me the most with games. I hate doing that in games. 

I don't mind it as long as you dont have to break your thumb every time like in Bayonetta. Sometimes they can even be quite fun if executed properly. That's just me though.

6 minutes ago, NightmareFarm said:

I don't mind it as long as you dont have to break your thumb every time like in Bayonetta. Sometimes they can even be quite fun if executed properly. That's just me though.

Like button mashing? I never played Bayonetta, but I could see it requiring some button mashing like I remember with the original God of War games. I don't mind button mashing so much, but it can be annoying when you have to do it a ton in game. But if it's a QTE like press this button then this button in a certain order, than that is annoying haha. I hate QTEs dude. I'm glad they don't do it as often in games anymore. If they do, it's a small section or quick. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

Like button mashing? I never played Bayonetta, but I could see it requiring some button mashing like I remember with the original God of War games. I don't mind button mashing so much, but it can be annoying when you have to do it a ton in game. But if it's a QTE like press this button then this button in a certain order, than that is annoying haha. I hate QTEs dude. I'm glad they don't do it as often in games anymore. If they do, it's a small section or quick. 

Agreed - Quick time events where you have to press a lot of buttons in a ridiculously short space of time annoys the hell out of me.

12 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Agreed - Quick time events where you have to press a lot of buttons in a ridiculously short space of time annoys the hell out of me.

I don't mind when it's easy, but when it goes on for minutes and continues to get tougher, I just peace out and stop playing. There's been other games I played where I got stuck because of QTEs, so I just quick and move on. I can't remember which game, it could have been Sonic Generations. There was a mission where you had to match notes and it got extremely hard near the end and I never completed it. So I just quit at that point. I think I was close to beating it too. 😞 

Generally speaking, the only games that I ever think did QTE's well were the original God of War and Heavy Rain. God of War ( the first) actually never made you do them suddenly ( you always had to start them by pressing O) and they added a lot of weight and flashiness to the end of fights. The sequels, while still solid, had more problems ( they would "surprise" you with QTEs in a way the original didn't).

8 hours ago, Empire said:

Generally speaking, the only games that I ever think did QTE's well were the original God of War and Heavy Rain. God of War ( the first) actually never made you do them suddenly ( you always had to start them by pressing O) and they added a lot of weight and flashiness to the end of fights. The sequels, while still solid, had more problems ( they would "surprise" you with QTEs in a way the original didn't).

God of War it wasn't too bad, because you often just have to mash a couple buttons. THe masshing can be annoying though haha. As for Heavy Rain, I feel like those types of QTEs work better, because they're not making you remember a string of buttons to press. And for the most part, they seem pretty generous with time given to respond. Most Quantic Dream games you don't really need to be too fast. 

With Indigo Prophecy, I did kinda hate the QTEs though. There was a lot of the simon sez stuff and I got through it, but it was annoying. As well, this style of gameplay took my eyes away from the game taking place, so the fights and the scene in the house where your stuff is flying around, you can't really sit there and experience it because you have to keep your eyes on the prompt. So yeah, I think it hurts the game more because it can take you out of it sometimes. 

The only game where QTEs actually made sense to me was Mercenaries II, which is a very underrated game. For the sake of simplicity I'll say it is a GTA clone but it is so much more than that. Anyway you can carjack enemies in it. And to successfully carjack you need to complete a QTE. And the complexity and length of the QTE is dependent on how powerful the vehicle you are trying to take over is. Regular civilian vehicles are the easiest and military vehicles get progressively harder, with the tank and the helicopter being the hardest.

But I still hate QTEs and I suck at them. Even in this game the only way I could do them is by memorizing the sequences.

20 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I don't mind when it's easy, but when it goes on for minutes and continues to get tougher, I just peace out and stop playing. There's been other games I played where I got stuck because of QTEs, so I just quick and move on. I can't remember which game, it could have been Sonic Generations. There was a mission where you had to match notes and it got extremely hard near the end and I never completed it. So I just quit at that point. I think I was close to beating it too. 😞 

I can understand the Telltale games such as the walking dead and although I don't play them, others like it and that's fine. Guitar hero would fall into this category as well and that's understandable. The part I hate is playing "action" games and I have to be pressing a whole bunch of buttons in a QTE like I'm playing Guitar hero or the Walking Dead.

23 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I can understand the Telltale games such as the walking dead and although I don't play them, others like it and that's fine. Guitar hero would fall into this category as well and that's understandable. The part I hate is playing "action" games and I have to be pressing a whole bunch of buttons in a QTE like I'm playing Guitar hero or the Walking Dead.

I don't really count it so much for Guitar Hero and games like it, because it's meant to be a rhythm style game. I think it works fine for that type of game, but I don't like it when it's used for fighting games, fighting during a mission, to advance the story and so on. Give me full control of the scene so I can actually experience it. That's how I feel anyway. 

18 minutes ago, Heatman said:

There are three games that I would choose easily that's got a really good Quick Time Events. They are ;

1. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2

2. God of War 2

3. Until Dawn

God Of War does them pretty well to be fair...I can't say much about the other 2 because I don't remember much about the Force Unleashed.

7 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

God Of War does them pretty well to be fair...I can't say much about the other 2 because I don't remember much about the Force Unleashed.

Maybe the trailer of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2 would probably jog your memory about the game... 

Supermassive Games (makers of Until Dawn and the Dark Pictures series) is the only developer I've ever seen get QTEs right. Maybe it's because the QTEs are your main way of interacting with the game, instead of a parasitic game mechanic shoehorned in as a way to cause cheap deaths like they are in most games. I love their games, which is saying a lot since QTEs are one of my most hated game mechanics.