Register Now
Kane99

What??? No way, God of War on Xbox? (obvious clickbait)

Yes you heard the title right, the God of War himself, Kratos is in an Xbox game. Well not really. Someone made a game on the Xbox Creators Club, which I guess is similar to what the 360's indie arcade was about. So essentially it's just some mess hobbled together with Kratos' character model. 

The fact this gets through these programs is funny to me. It's literally just his character model from God of war. I imagine the enemy is also from the same game. 

These types of games get through these creator programs all the time. The 360 indie arcade was rife with crap much like this. There were of course some gems in the mix, but they were very rare. And it seems this creators club for Xbox puts out much of the same. Though, I am curious now to see if there are any good games from this game section. 

You can also read more about this game here - https://www.eurogamer.net/theres-a-rubbish-god-of-war-rip-off-on-the-xbox-store

Edited by Kane99

On 8/3/2022 at 8:17 PM, Kane99 said:

Yes you heard the title right, the God of War himself, Kratos is in an Xbox game. Well not really. Someone made a game on the Xbox Creators Club, which I guess is similar to what the 360's indie arcade was about. So essentially it's just some mess hobbled together with Kratos' character model. 

The fact this gets through these programs is funny to me. It's literally just his character model from God of war. I imagine the enemy is also from the same game. 

These types of games get through these creator programs all the time. The 360 indie arcade was rife with crap much like this. There were of course some gems in the mix, but they were very rare. And it seems this creators club for Xbox puts out much of the same. Though, I am curious now to see if there are any good games from this game section. 

You can also read more about this game here - https://www.eurogamer.net/theres-a-rubbish-god-of-war-rip-off-on-the-xbox-store

I don't think Sony would allow this one to fly and I am currently anticipating a law suit for copyright infringement.

The video on YouTube is no longer available and that shows that Sony is not taking it lightly at this time.

1 hour ago, Clasher said:

I don't think Sony would allow this one to fly and I am currently anticipating a law suit for copyright infringement.

The video on YouTube is no longer available and that shows that Sony is not taking it lightly at this time.

Haha oh damn, I didn't expect the video to be taken down. But it makes sense. It's a clear ripoff. I bet the game was removed as well, if but yet, it will probably be soon. 

I'm not sure Sony will waste their time suing this one. If you didn't see the video, it was the laziest made thing I ever saw. Kratos was barely animated and same with the enemies. It was hilariously bad. 

7 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Haha oh damn, I didn't expect the video to be taken down. But it makes sense. It's a clear ripoff. I bet the game was removed as well, if but yet, it will probably be soon. 

I'm not sure Sony will waste their time suing this one. If you didn't see the video, it was the laziest made thing I ever saw. Kratos was barely animated and same with the enemies. It was hilariously bad. 

Haha, just another hit and miss move for the platform.

I didn't get to see the video before it was taken down but I can't help but imagine how hilarious it would have looked though.

3 hours ago, Clasher said:

Haha, just another hit and miss move for the platform.

I didn't get to see the video before it was taken down but I can't help but imagine how hilarious it would have looked though.

It was awful. Are you familiar with the type of games that the Xbox 360 had under their Creators Club? Well a lot of the games were quickly made garbage that were tossed on there to make a quick buck. Like literally, many of the games were around $1 or so. I haven't checked the current program they have, but I can only imagine how much crap gets put on it. 

You weren't missing anything though, it was essentially a game made with quick assets with probably minimal development. It looked like the controls would have been awful as well. They probably would have been safe if they didn't use Kratos, but they probably did that in the hopes they can trick people into buying it. 

On 8/8/2022 at 4:25 AM, Kane99 said:

It was awful. Are you familiar with the type of games that the Xbox 360 had under their Creators Club? Well a lot of the games were quickly made garbage that were tossed on there to make a quick buck. Like literally, many of the games were around $1 or so. I haven't checked the current program they have, but I can only imagine how much crap gets put on it. 

You weren't missing anything though, it was essentially a game made with quick assets with probably minimal development. It looked like the controls would have been awful as well. They probably would have been safe if they didn't use Kratos, but they probably did that in the hopes they can trick people into buying it. 

Yeah , I am familiar with the games that was released under the creators club, I think that was a Microsoft idea to have developers without much funding to be able to release games on their platform and which ever receives a lot of attention would then be better improved but a lot of them back then we're just low quality Garbage.

I think including kratos was just a strategy to get people interested in seeing what the game is like  but that's certainly a very week move.

4 hours ago, Clasher said:

Yeah , I am familiar with the games that was released under the creators club, I think that was a Microsoft idea to have developers without much funding to be able to release games on their platform and which ever receives a lot of attention would then be better improved but a lot of them back then we're just low quality Garbage.

I think including kratos was just a strategy to get people interested in seeing what the game is like  but that's certainly a very week move.

Yeah from what I saw of it, it just looked like someone using assets from an asset store and the engine they used. They clearly didn't do any work. I wish you could see the video because it was laughably bad. Like no work was put into this game. I think they got everything from one place and then put it together in a game. 

But yeah, there was a lot of bad games on here, because anyone can make a game and add it. So there's no quality control. 

20 hours ago, Heatman said:

Would I call this one clout chasing or what? Well, there's no way Sony would have allowed that to happen. The end result was definitely what was going to happen, so I'm not surprised at all. 

I wouldn't say that. I think it's more of someone trying to trick people to buy crap because of popular character. I was able to find another video showing it off, you can view it below: 

There are other games like this on other marketplaces as well. Sadly it happens to a lot of popular games. I imagine Steam and other platforms have similar games that are just tossed up after they develop something for a few minutes lol. 

Good thing that most people know better than to buy crap like this. But I imagine some people were tricked. But, I can see others buying it just to make content on it. Much like this guy did. 

It's fake as they are still blocked aren't they?  This might be a student project. I don’t know if PlayStation can do anything as parody is protected by the first amendment. It didn’t use the name God of War and the “assets” are all original. Using the direct art from God of War is actually a more likely grounds for legal action. 

The problem with this is, if Sony doesn’t take legal action, another studio can plagiarized and then say, “You didn’t care enough to defend it before.” It can set a legal precedent. Companies HAVE to take all such things seriously or they can lose control easily. Same time, if they take legal action, they will be laughed at by gamers. Still, that would be a small price to pay. Sony got to take the studio to court, and maybe Xbox too. You can imagine, other games easily making copies of Aloy, Kratos, Drake, etc., and they will if Sony doesn’t take legal action and nip it in the bud.

4 hours ago, Empire said:

It's fake as they are still blocked aren't they?  This might be a student project. I don’t know if PlayStation can do anything as parody is protected by the first amendment. It didn’t use the name God of War and the “assets” are all original. Using the direct art from God of War is actually a more likely grounds for legal action. 

The problem with this is, if Sony doesn’t take legal action, another studio can plagiarized and then say, “You didn’t care enough to defend it before.” It can set a legal precedent. Companies HAVE to take all such things seriously or they can lose control easily. Same time, if they take legal action, they will be laughed at by gamers. Still, that would be a small price to pay. Sony got to take the studio to court, and maybe Xbox too. You can imagine, other games easily making copies of Aloy, Kratos, Drake, etc., and they will if Sony doesn’t take legal action and nip it in the bud.

I'm not sure. I imagine this was removed from the Xbox marketplace soon after it was made clear. Especially if the first video I posted was taken down by Sony for Copyright reasons. My guess is Sony requested it be removed from the Xbox marketplace and they did it without question. I doubt they will go after the creator of the game either. It's probably some kid who just got started in game development and wanted to make a quick buck. I'm sure Xbox refunded everyone who bought the game too. 

Sony doesn't need to take legal action, all they need to do is say "hey buddy, you can't put a game with our property in it on your platform, remove post haste or you will face our lawyers" but much more professional lol. They probably also sent something to the creator as a warning, but I doubt they'd bother to sue over this. 

Now if it was a full fledged game, that looked good, then they'd be all over that I imagine. 

On 8/10/2022 at 5:43 PM, Kane99 said:

I wouldn't say that. I think it's more of someone trying to trick people to buy crap because of popular character. I was able to find another video showing it off, you can view it below: 

There are other games like this on other marketplaces as well. Sadly it happens to a lot of popular games. I imagine Steam and other platforms have similar games that are just tossed up after they develop something for a few minutes lol. 

Good thing that most people know better than to buy crap like this. But I imagine some people were tricked. But, I can see others buying it just to make content on it. Much like this guy did. 

Definitely, there's a good possibility that some people would be tricked with that because if you're not careful enough, you will fall victim to it. I'd swear for myself all day long if I happen to allow that happen to me because I always try to make sure of what I'm buying before I pull out that card details. 

2 hours ago, Heatman said:

Definitely, there's a good possibility that some people would be tricked with that because if you're not careful enough, you will fall victim to it. I'd swear for myself all day long if I happen to allow that happen to me because I always try to make sure of what I'm buying before I pull out that card details. 

I think people would purchase this particular video game just to know what it is like, no one is tricked just your curiousity taking the better part of you in cases like this.

On 8/12/2022 at 11:44 AM, Clasher said:

I think people would purchase this particular video game just to know what it is like, no one is tricked just your curiousity taking the better part of you in cases like this.

I doubt most people would bother to be honest. It's one of those asset flips that people make to try and confuse those who don't know any better. Like parents or something lol.

On 8/12/2022 at 4:44 PM, Clasher said:

You have a point in this one. There's a chance that some of us would just be like let's have a good look and see exactly what it's like. But, are there gamers that don't look well before buying some games and get misled? I think so yes! Those kind of buyers might fall into that trap.