Register Now
NightmareFarm

What are your thoughts on Horizon Forbidden West?

IMO:

Story: Alright, at least up until the GAIA subroutine fetch quests. I didn't like the split into seperate filler narratives surrounding each subroutine, the focus should have been more on the politics of the forbidden west and Sylens should have played more of a role where we unravel the conspiracy around the sons of prometheus and then find out Sylens is behind it all rather than just being told that at the end of the game. The finale is a mixed bag for me. It doesn't really hold a candle to Zero Dawn plot wise although that is a high bar to aim for. 

Gameplay: A noticeable downgrade from the first game. Enemy machines feel like damage sponges and take FOREVER to kill compared to the first game. Heavies are nerfed so you have to rely on charge attacks to deal any meeaningful damage and stagger them. The new weapons aren't that interesting compared to the weapons introduced in the first game. The super modes feel out of place and it's annoying having to keep going to the menu to change them. It just feels off to me.

Misc: The visuals look rough except for certain areas like forests. The cutscene graphics look very nice though. I liked the addition of Gliding but the pullcaster felt incredibly stiff. Swimming/Diving feels like a drag, I don't get why games keep adding them, they're almost universally shitty. The customisation system feels like a step back from zero dawn since you have to level up gear to unlock modification slots.

Overall, I found it to be kind of dissapointing. It could have built on the first game better. 

Edited by NightmareFarm

I really want to play the Horizon games. I heard Zero Dawn is one of the best games on the PS4. When I heard it dropped on PC as well, I immediately put it on my watch list for when I can buy it. Has Horizon Forbidden West also been added to PC via Epic Games? I hope so, because I would like to eventually play both games and finally experience this rich story and gameplay. 

Just now, Kane99 said:

I really want to play the Horizon games. I heard Zero Dawn is one of the best games on the PS4. When I heard it dropped on PC as well, I immediately put it on my watch list for when I can buy it. Has Horizon Forbidden West also been added to PC via Epic Games? I hope so, because I would like to eventually play both games and finally experience this rich story and gameplay. 

Although I think Horizon Forbidden West will drop on PC it won't be for while, a couple of years maybe.

I got it in a bundle when I got my PS5. I asked about it somewhere around here, and everyone said to play Zero Dawn before Forbidden West. I've never played either, and am completely unfamiliar with the games, so I won't play it until I have played Zero Dawn. I trust what the community says about games. While I have extensive knowledge of classic games from the N64 back, I can't say the same for modern games.

5 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I got it in a bundle when I got my PS5. I asked about it somewhere around here, and everyone said to play Zero Dawn before Forbidden West. I've never played either, and am completely unfamiliar with the games, so I won't play it until I have played Zero Dawn. I trust what the community says about games. While I have extensive knowledge of classic games from the N64 back, I can't say the same for modern games.

From what I heard it's a continuation of the first game, as most sequels usually are. You may want to play the first to get the controls down and experience the story. A friend told me that playing the first game is highly recommended, but I don't think you have to. But you may go in a big confused about what is going on. 

I know for myself, I'd have to play the first game before anything. Same with God of War, as I want to get the new one too. But I need to play the first one before jumping into the sequel. 

If you're wanting to check out GoW, you could play Chains Of Olympus without ruining the story. It's a great game, and was actually the one that introduced me to the series. It didn't ruin anything, and the mainline games of the series are still just as great as ever.

I have played zero Dawn but I haven't gotten into forbidden west.

I actually liked  what guerrilla games did with it, maybe forbidden west would be better and your review only helped to spike my curiosity. I would certainly get onto the game as soon as I can.

It's certainly a step up from the first game, but for me the game still suffers from open world bloat. The typical go from point A to point B, collect things/kill machines, go back to A. Gets tedious. The higher reward payout does help a bit. Combat is great. Story is so far so good. Looking forward to see how the rest of the game pans out.

Even when the game was at the beta, their was loads of good impression around the game, it's one of those AAA games that didn't disappoint after being launched. I am yet to play it I am still figuring a miscellaneous funds to purchase it. 

On 8/17/2022 at 12:14 PM, Empire said:

It's certainly a step up from the first game, but for me the game still suffers from open world bloat. The typical go from point A to point B, collect things/kill machines, go back to A. Gets tedious. The higher reward payout does help a bit. Combat is great. Story is so far so good. Looking forward to see how the rest of the game pans out.

I played zero dawn but I didn't find it as tedious, I have played forbidden west but I have read a few articles about it and most review tend to give zero Dawn more accolades but says forbidden west feels like and upgraded version with good graphics more rewards.

I am certainly curious to have a more personal experience with the game.

I'm very well impressed with the upgrades Horizon Forbidden West made from the first original release in Horizon Zero Dawn. I have been playing the game for a while before Elden Ring was released and it was very satisfying. I have no negative comments to give about the game. 

On 8/22/2022 at 5:42 PM, Heatman said:

I'm very well impressed with the upgrades Horizon Forbidden West made from the first original release in Horizon Zero Dawn. I have been playing the game for a while before Elden Ring was released and it was very satisfying. I have no negative comments to give about the game. 

I have played forbidden west to 60% and the two games are completely similar but yet they come with their own peculiarities.

The graphics was upgraded and the new game look more sleek.