Register Now
Nebulous

Professional gamers are similar to the athletes?

yeah not even close to athletes who play football, basketball, soccer, etc. It takes some skill no doubt, but the most unhealthy of people could still compete in the esports side and still come out as victors. 

Professional gamers don't need to be fit, or fast, or good at actual sports. All they need, is to be able to do good in their games. And that takes hand eye coordination and mental skills if anything. But I wouldn't pair esports players with actual people who play physically demanding sports. 

In a sense they are because it takes some level of mental skill to play certain video games as not everyone can, and that's similar to athletes but in their case they often use a lot of physical energy as well as mental skill as opposed to video gamers.

It seems like people are simply arguing about semantics. I personally wouldnt call Nade a pro athlete. I'd call him a pro gamer but again, semantics. If they need to be classified as athletes for some reason that benefits them, I have zero problem with it.

4 hours ago, Empire said:

It seems like people are simply arguing about semantics. I personally wouldnt call Nade a pro athlete. I'd call him a pro gamer but again, semantics. If they need to be classified as athletes for some reason that benefits them, I have zero problem with it.

True, the mediums are two different things. One is a sport you sit down and use your hands and eyes. Sports in general uses way more.

As well, we call golfers athletes, and all they do is smack a small ball around with a stick. So maybe they can be considered athletes in their own regard. 

The only relevant relationship that I can pick out from professional gamers and athletes would be the money they both make from their engagement in their professional work. Other than that, athletes are more drilled into their skills because they go extra mile to keep being valuable in their sports. But a video game professional who might be a streamer too makes his money easily without doing much once he gets to the top. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

The only relevant relationship that I can pick out from professional gamers and athletes would be the money they both make from their engagement in their professional work. Other than that, athletes are more drilled into their skills because they go extra mile to keep being valuable in their sports. But a video game professional who might be a streamer too makes his money easily without doing much once he gets to the top. 

There is always work to be done if not every single video game player would be a professional or be at the top.

And that's same for athletes they have to keep training to remain relevant or else losses their value to the team and that's another similarity between the two.

1 hour ago, Clasher said:

There is always work to be done if not every single video game player would be a professional or be at the top.

And that's same for athletes they have to keep training to remain relevant or else losses their value to the team and that's another similarity between the two.

I don't think that the work athletes put in their their work can be compared to what professional gamers do. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they are not working, yes they do but they don't do more than athletes do. The kind of health risks athletes put themselves through every day is way too much compared to what professionals gamers do. 

What are even the biggest risks professional gamers face every day? 

Just now, Heatman said:

I don't think that the work athletes put in their their work can be compared to what professional gamers do. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they are not working, yes they do but they don't do more than athletes do. The kind of health risks athletes put themselves through every day is way too much compared to what professionals gamers do. 

What are even the biggest risks professional gamers face every day? 

Mental effort is required for all professions and there is no measurement as  to the amount of mental energy Someone devotes to a task.

This mental effort is what comes to play for all professions cooking, singing, writing , video gaming or athletes , it might look really easy from a distance untill you are given that same task to do.

On 8/4/2022 at 7:33 AM, Kane99 said:

yeah not even close to athletes who play football, basketball, soccer, etc. It takes some skill no doubt, but the most unhealthy of people could still compete in the esports side and still come out as victors. 

Professional gamers don't need to be fit, or fast, or good at actual sports. All they need, is to be able to do good in their games. And that takes hand eye coordination and mental skills if anything. But I wouldn't pair esports players with actual people who play physically demanding sports. 

1 hour ago, Clasher said:

I guess it all comes down to what terminology gets agreed upon then, for me, they are similar because "pro" atheletes and pro esports players are both hired, and need to train for their specific "game"

But the difference is, physical sport athletes have great bodies, arguably, esport gamers even though they don't have a healthy body or fit body, they can still play, but that will actually hamper them in the long run as a human needs to be healthy to function.

So for me, there are sports athletes, and pro esport players. Different categories altogether.

also, "Esports" are now medal games in the 2022 Asian games, a formerly primarily physical sports event.

Here's the list of games:

Esports in Asian Games 2022: Medal events list 🏆

• 1. Arena of Valor, Asian Games version
  • 2. Dota 2
  • 3. Dream Three Kingdoms 2
  • 4. EA Sports FIFA branded soccer games
  • 5. HearthStone
  • 6. League of Legends
  • 7. PUBG Mobile, Asian Games version
  • 8. Street Fighter V

Source: https://olympics.com/en/news/fifa-pubg-dota-2-esports-medal-events-asian-games-2022

18 minutes ago, Gonassis said:

I guess it all comes down to what terminology gets agreed upon then, for me, they are similar because "pro" atheletes and pro esports players are both hired, and need to train for their specific "game"

But the difference is, physical sport athletes have great bodies, arguably, esport gamers even though they don't have a healthy body or fit body, they can still play, but that will actually hamper them in the long run as a human needs to be healthy to function.

So for me, there are sports athletes, and pro esport players. Different categories altogether.

also, "Esports" are now medal games in the 2022 Asian games, a formerly primarily physical sports event.

Here's the list of games:

Esports in Asian Games 2022: Medal events list 🏆

• 1. Arena of Valor, Asian Games version
  • 2. Dota 2
  • 3. Dream Three Kingdoms 2
  • 4. EA Sports FIFA branded soccer games
  • 5. HearthStone
  • 6. League of Legends
  • 7. PUBG Mobile, Asian Games version
  • 8. Street Fighter V

Source: https://olympics.com/en/news/fifa-pubg-dota-2-esports-medal-events-asian-games-2022

The truth is all professions do as much work as the other , athletes might be fit physically but needs to be calculative on the pitch not to make mistakes, if someone siting on a wheelchair playing as a professional video game player stills needs to be calculative enough to remain at the top or break a particular video he or she is testing.

The major similarities is that all profession requires mental energy as well as physical efforts to perform tasks and they get paid for services rendered.

3 hours ago, Clasher said:

Mental effort is required for all professions and there is no measurement as  to the amount of mental energy Someone devotes to a task.

This mental effort is what comes to play for all professions cooking, singing, writing , video gaming or athletes , it might look really easy from a distance untill you are given that same task to do.

The risks athletes put themselves in every single day far outweighs what professional gamers can ever come up against. I think that it's only one gamer that's been said to have died from playing video games but look at how athletes gets wasted all the time in different sports they are involved in like football, racing, gymnastics, and so much more. 

They are making money from their profession, that's what makes them professional. Most professional clubs around Europe have started hiring virtual sports players to represent their real-life team via virtual world in same format of tournaments. That's to say, video game is on a massive revolution. 

12 hours ago, Heatman said:

The risks athletes put themselves in every single day far outweighs what professional gamers can ever come up against. I think that it's only one gamer that's been said to have died from playing video games but look at how athletes gets wasted all the time in different sports they are involved in like football, racing, gymnastics, and so much more. 

People die everyday even going to the bathroom could be fatal for some, they were all aware of the risk before they chose their career paths.

And the pay professional athletes get can't even be compared to what professional gamers are paid so they are well compensated for whatever risk they think they might be taking.