Register Now
StaceyPowers

Is gaming the best stress relief?

Gaming may not be the best form of stress relief as it depends on the type of game and the amount of attention it requires and how intense it is. A highly intensive game definitely will not relieve but increase stress. Personally I have used gaming, especially the soccer games set to a slow pace as an alternative to a sleeping pill.

On 10/19/2022 at 2:58 AM, Femi said:

Gaming may not be the best form of stress relief as it depends on the type of game and the amount of attention it requires and how intense it is. A highly intensive game definitely will not relieve but increase stress. Personally I have used gaming, especially the soccer games set to a slow pace as an alternative to a sleeping pill.

That's an interesting way to go about it - how effectively does it work though?

On 9/26/2022 at 7:12 AM, runswithspatulas said:

I find that video games relieve a lot of my stress and anxiety. For a while there during the pandemic the need to shoot at people in Fortnite scratched some sort of weird itch I had going on. Now I play more of the cozy games. There's one I want but the content disturbs me a little. Since I don't agree with the views in the game I'm not sure I wanna bother with it. I have a few adventure games but I prefer the cozy games over those. 

I already found solace in video games for as long as I can remember , from the first console I ever got till date.

The pandemic was a time when I got too busy researching and working and I found that playing a video game at the end of my day's work (from home) was a perfect way to end my day since I couldn't go out anymore.

As someone who suffers with Fibromyalgia, stress is a big factor to pain increases including severe migraines I have found, and I do everything I can to try and avoid stress. Understandably it's not something I can fully avoid as everyone goes through stress at some point in their life but if I can avoid stress I will always do so.

Gaming has definitely been the top option for me to help beat stress, I always find myself submerged in a game I enjoy such as Destiny 2 or even just a few games on Fortnite that really do help me lower my stress levels and avoid severe amounts of pain. Music would definitely be almost equal to gaming as well for stress relief, but I tend to listen to music when I am playing games anyway so work really well for me. 

On 10/26/2022 at 4:56 AM, LateRegistration said:

no i would say the best stress relief is exercise or marijuana

Exercise is good but marijuana only make you better for a period of time and after that you get to feel empty immediately after it effects has subsided. I would recommend good exercise and pepper diet though for most stress related issues or whatever thing that works for you as an individual.

On 8/5/2022 at 12:05 PM, Empire said:

Yes and no. It depends on the game, really. In general, they can and do, but in specific, different people will respond differently to different stimuli. For instance, in World of Warcraft, it will actually induce stress with its skinnerian design principles focused on repetitive, time-consuming grinds. I've damn-near had a panic attack running raids in that game, that's how stress inducing it is (needless to say, I don't play that game much once I hit max level on any character)

MSFS is very relaxing but at times that can do both, stress and not stressing out. Yet Twitch streaming also can stress anyone out with chat talking.

I agree with you. In some cases, it depends, but in general, I think an hour or two of video game playing a day never hurt anyone. But it also depends on what you play. Let's say I'm quite exhausted by e-sports games. So I think scientists should study this issue in more detail.

Edited by Shagger

Gaming is a huge stress relief for me. After a busy day dealing with my kids, ensuring any work I have to do is done and also attending to things I need to around the home, being able to sit down, chill out and forget about the day and shut off in a video game is the best feeling ever and also helps me keep my stress levels down. 

Gaming is undoubtedly one of the best ways to get rid of stress. Since, while gaming, when we accomplish something in the game, it really enhances our mood and gives us a sense of success and happiness. Although, it all happens in the game, it makes your real life happier. That's the magic of gaming!

Playing games can really help people relax and de-stress, but it depends on each person and what they like. Some people find it super relaxing and fun to play video games because it lets them forget about their worries and escape into new worlds or challenges. Gaming can make you feel like you have control, achieve things, and provide entertainment, which all help to reduce stress and take a break from the pressures of everyday life.

Gaming can be an effective stress relief for many people, as it provides a form of escapism and allows individuals to immerse themselves in different worlds. However, what works as the best stress relief can vary from person to person, as different activities and hobbies resonate differently with individuals. It's important to find what works best for you personally in terms of stress relief.