Register Now
StaceyPowers

Biggest dropped threads/loose ends in video game series?

1 hour ago, Yaramaki said:

I'm not 100% sure what you exactly mean by your questions, are you talking about games that ended with a cliffhanger or/and games that ended and left you with more questions then answers?  please elaborate @StaceyPowers

I think she means the latter, like a game that left you with questions or ended in a confusing way. 

Or maybe it's more to do with plot points that are started but never get a conclusion. 

Honestly I can't think of either. I feel like most games I have played went fine and closed all story threads, but I'm also not very observant enough sometimes to catch all that. 

4 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

I'm not 100% sure what you exactly mean by your questions, are you talking about games that ended with a cliffhanger or/and games that ended and left you with more questions then answers?  please elaborate @StaceyPowers

Plot threads that are unresolved, but not necessarily cliff-hangers. More like things devs either are taking forever to circle back to or outright forgot. Like the Architect in Dragon Age. Assuming his survival is canon, his failure to reappear in DA II or Inquisition is a huge dropped plot threat.

Goblin Sword is a perfect example of this. It doesn't have any kind of ending. It just stops. There's no final boss. There's no rewards. It just fucking stops. I thought it was a great game in the beginning. But with no conclusion, I regretted buying it. I won't delete it simply for the fact that I paid actual money for it. The graphics are what you would see on a Sega Genesis. One other thing that bugs me, is that you can't have more than one game. Once you play it, that's it. Nothing left to do, all you can do is replay where you have already been.

One game that I love is RDR2, and the epilogue doesn't really have an ending either. It's left wide open. I can continue playing, but after a while, there's not a whole hell of a lot to do.

9 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Goblin Sword is a perfect example of this. It doesn't have any kind of ending. It just stops. There's no final boss. There's no rewards. It just fucking stops. I thought it was a great game in the beginning. But with no conclusion, I regretted buying it. I won't delete it simply for the fact that I paid actual money for it. The graphics are what you would see on a Sega Genesis. One other thing that bugs me, is that you can't have more than one game. Once you play it, that's it. Nothing left to do, all you can do is replay where you have already been.

One game that I love is RDR2, and the epilogue doesn't really have an ending either. It's left wide open. I can continue playing, but after a while, there's not a whole hell of a lot to do.

Just jump into RDR1 next. Have you played the first RDR? If not I highly recommend it. I believe it takes place in 1911 or something like that, so it follows the events of RDR2, and of course John Marston being the lead. I might actually do that myself, replay the first game after I 100% RDR2 again. 

In Batman: Arkham Origins, Bane's memory loss is part of the plot that seems to be something the devs didn't know how they were going about it. He discovered about Batman's identity in Arkhams Origins but seems to have forgotten it in the later Batman: Arkham City. 

Basically every Far Cry game gets like this for me. I get super into the beginning of the game unlocking weapons and getting more powerful but at a certain point near the middle of Far Cry games, the progress slows to a trickle and the cracks really show in how boring the AI is.

9 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Just jump into RDR1 next. Have you played the first RDR? If not I highly recommend it. I believe it takes place in 1911 or something like that, so it follows the events of RDR2, and of course John Marston being the lead. I might actually do that myself, replay the first game after I 100% RDR2 again. 

Yes I've played it. I think it's a bit closer to 1920, as Jack is in his later teens in it. He was about 12 in the epilogue of RDR2, which took place in 1907.

It's a great game, but for the gaming material I'm not a particular fan of the graphics. I get that for the PS3, the graphics were phenomenal. But I've been spoiled by the lifelike graphics for the current gen of games.

But I still love my 8 bit graphics on the older systems. Hell, I still love the 2 bit graphics of the Atari 2600.

Edited by The Blackangel

Mass effect Andromeda would be a worthy candidate for this thread, let's put the quality of the game of the game aside and you know i enjoyed it for what it was. We never are going to get a sequel to it, there are a lot of loose ends that needs to be adressed one way or the other. Kinda hard without going into spoiler territory but what happened to the kett are they completly wiped out or not just to name one example? Also the original trilogy what happened to your crewmates same thing.

Modern day assassins creed is another example with many plot holes that are mostlikely never going to be adressed one way or the other. Like in Ac rogue you get asked to become a templar near the ending do you ever become it and what happens afterwards. Same with Ac unity i can't remember much about it anymore but they completly ditched that storyline with introducing may ine ac origins.

Obviously have to give shenmue a shoot out aswell, because again why not wrap things up with the third game but no we have to live in mystery and with more questions then answers for another 10 years. Even the first and second game when you look back at it were left with many plotholes that have never been adressed, sure you can call some characters in the third game but still makes you wonder even more.

Kingdom Come Deliverance should be worth mentioning aswell as that game has been left with many plotholes and what if's, pretty sure we're going to get a sequel to it but yeah what happens to your dads murderer and sword, the village you are bailiff off and offcourse your girlfriend. Things i'd like to see adressed in a future game.

Many telltale games could also be considered for this thread, just take a look at the Game of thrones game they made, if you played that game you'll know what i mean offcourse. 

On 8/8/2022 at 9:11 AM, The Blackangel said:

Yes I've played it. I think it's a bit closer to 1920, as Jack is in his later teens in it. He was about 12 in the epilogue of RDR2, which took place in 1907.

It's a great game, but for the gaming material I'm not a particular fan of the graphics. I get that for the PS3, the graphics were phenomenal. But I've been spoiled by the lifelike graphics for the current gen of games.

But I still love my 8 bit graphics on the older systems. Hell, I still love the 2 bit graphics of the Atari 2600.

A bit of a late reply on my part, but here we are. :) 

RDR1 starts off in 1911, where we see John disembarking a train. The back of the case also mentions it's 1911 and the west is dying. The date has kinda been ingrained in my head since I played the hell out of it. :D 

RDR1 has some beautiful looking graphics, yeah they aren't nearly as good as RDR2's graphics, but they still hold up quite well today imo. I just remember playing the game for the first time, on an HDTV and thinking how beautiful it was. But yeah, RDR2 is way more stunning graphically. 

Retro games age better I think. Most of them look great today. 

36 minutes ago, Smokey said:

Call of Duty Ghosts, the ending........major sequel baiting......if you know, you know......and we never received a sequel.  Absolutely criminal. 

Haha I remember Ghosts. I remember when they were going crazy about this game, and then it turned out to be one of the worst in the series. I always figured they'd do a sequel like with their other games, but maybe it was best to go back to Modern Warfare instead. 

4 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

A bit of a late reply on my part, but here we are. 🙂

RDR1 starts off in 1911, where we see John disembarking a train. The back of the case also mentions it's 1911 and the west is dying. The date has kinda been ingrained in my head since I played the hell out of it. 😄

RDR1 has some beautiful looking graphics, yeah they aren't nearly as good as RDR2's graphics, but they still hold up quite well today imo. I just remember playing the game for the first time, on an HDTV and thinking how beautiful it was. But yeah, RDR2 is way more stunning graphically. 

Retro games age better I think. Most of them look great today. 

Haha I remember Ghosts. I remember when they were going crazy about this game, and then it turned out to be one of the worst in the series. I always figured they'd do a sequel like with their other games, but maybe it was best to go back to Modern Warfare instead. 

Honestly, I think Advanced Warfare was worse lol. I actually really liked Ghosts. They did a lot of stuff that was fantastic that was never seen in any other CoD again, such as their perk system using "squad points'. It's a real shame they never did more w/ the Ghosts IP.