Register Now
StaceyPowers

What did you learn about yourself playing MMOs?

3 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I think playing MMOs can provide a lot of insight into who we are and how we function, especially in games where there is a tight-knit community. What, if anything, have you learned about yourself by playing MMOs?

I learned that I'm not that good when it comes to MMOs, and probably never will be. I've played some MMOs in the past, but for me, I never really got too into them. I always wanted to, but could never see myself getting too into it. Also I learn I have no patience with most MMOs. 😄 

My first experience in MMOs was so weird. I thought I was that good playing MGP games, but a gamer surprised me by gapping my own GP motor by wider margin, finishing far ahead of me. Such made me going back to the drawing board of learning and I hope next I meet a pro, I'm going to put up a stern test. 

I learnt that my social batteries drain less quickly when I'm just chatting to people rather than partaking in an activity with them. I learnt that while lasting relationships of any kind can be formed through them it doesn't come highly recommended as the game cannot be the only thing you have in common. I learnt that I have a patience for the incredibly repetitive and mundane, but not for practical purposes such as money-making or gear improvements. And finally I've learnt, to quote that Kenny Rogers song, "you got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run." When the fun stops stop.

8 hours ago, Justin11 said:

My first experience in MMOs was so weird. I thought I was that good playing MGP games, but a gamer surprised me by gapping my own GP motor by wider margin, finishing far ahead of me. Such made me going back to the drawing board of learning and I hope next I meet a pro, I'm going to put up a stern test. 

I'm struggling to understand what MotoGP has to do with MMOs. If I've misunderstood then please correct me, otherwise let's keep this on the subject of Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) games please.

2 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

I learnt that my social batteries drain less quickly when I'm just chatting to people rather than partaking in an activity with them. I learnt that while lasting relationships of any kind can be formed through them it doesn't come highly recommended as the game cannot be the only thing you have in common. I learnt that I have a patience for the incredibly repetitive and mundane, but not for practical purposes such as money-making or gear improvements. And finally I've learnt, to quote that Kenny Rogers song, "you got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run." When the fun stops stop.

I don't like talking to most people in game lobbies. I have a small group of friends that I will game with, some work buddies and I like it that way. Makes it easy to converse and relax while gaming. They are currently trying to get me to play Fallout 76, which is kinda an MMO right? Probably not, but It's online so I count it lol. 

But I can't see myself enjoying the actual people in the game lobby, because I just know I'll encounter some annoying goon who won't shut up. So I stick with my private parties and that that. 😄 

I also learned I don't like playing with most people in MMOs. I think for the most part, I can't handle interactions with real people, especially ones who are rude and obnoxious towards me. And I feel like I'll end up just quitting the game instead of trying to get used to that. 

On 8/8/2022 at 5:16 PM, Kane99 said:

I also learned I don't like playing with most people in MMOs. I think for the most part, I can't handle interactions with real people, especially ones who are rude and obnoxious towards me. And I feel like I'll end up just quitting the game instead of trying to get used to that. 

A lot of them out there are quite toxic and it's why I find it annoyingly difficult to play with them most of the time. A lot of people are so frustrated that they reel it in on their games. 

I learned that I might just very well be misanthropic on some level. lol I mean, look, I obviously enjoy socializing, seeing as I'm posting here regularly, but the online environment, even in MMOs with all their guidelines and rules, tends to bring out the worst in people. Hell, "Barrens chat" was a thing in World of Warcraft, where people headed to the Barrens just to see the latest shitshow that's going on in the chat.

I also learned that I just don't enjoy multiplayers. I enjoyed Star Wars: The Old Republic a lot more than I did in WoW because it's a lot more single player-focused with its storylines. I almost never bothered with the storylines that require you to join a group. And that's another thing I learned from MMOs - I don't do well in groups. It requires a kind of concentration and cooperation between the group members, where everyone has to pitch in and "git gud." You can't just enjoy the game, you have to be good at the game, or why the f*** would they want to invite you? That kind of attitude has gotten me staying away from multiplayers for good, and MMOs in general.

On 9/13/2022 at 5:03 PM, killamch89 said:

Not a lot that I didn't know already - I'm a massive troll and love mischief but I'm a good guild mate who'll fight to the end. Also, I don't tend to pick on weaker opponents and will help people along the way.

I love trolling too especially when they are dished in a way that's going to make me me up my game and be very good at it because sometimes I tend to slack a bit. It's never cool to pick on the weak guys, not cool at all because we were all at that stage at one point. 

On 9/15/2022 at 9:40 AM, Heatman said:

I love trolling too especially when they are dished in a way that's going to make me me up my game and be very good at it because sometimes I tend to slack a bit. It's never cool to pick on the weak guys, not cool at all because we were all at that stage at one point. 

Half the time, I'll purposely stay where the weaklings are so when the strong bullies come out, I'll take them on.

On 8/5/2022 at 8:15 AM, Kane99 said:

I learned that I'm not that good when it comes to MMOs, and probably never will be. I've played some MMOs in the past, but for me, I never really got too into them. I always wanted to, but could never see myself getting too into it. Also I learn I have no patience with most MMOs. 😄 

same as me, but MMO's is quite fun to play. It needs a lot of time and so much grinding to make our character even better.