Register Now
StaceyPowers

Have you played on a school esports team?

Nope, I graduated highschool way before esports started to get into schools. I heard that my local school has their own esports club and team now. Wish it happened when I was in school, because I would have joined it. 

My school wasn't that enlightened around esports kind of competition even if esports have existed during my high school and college school days. Even if my school engaged on so many inter school competitions and in-house competitions, the esports competition was very much elusive. Maybe they've adopted it because they love sports and entertainment. 

6 hours ago, Justin11 said:

My school wasn't that enlightened around esports kind of competition even if esports have existed during my high school and college school days. Even if my school engaged on so many inter school competitions and in-house competitions, the esports competition was very much elusive. Maybe they've adopted it because they love sports and entertainment. 

When was the last time you were in school? For me it was 2008. To be fair, esports didn't get popular with schools until fairly recently. Maybe the past 5 years or so. It's still getting a foothold into schools and colleges around the world. I wish I had an esports team back then, because I would have so taken advantage of that. But sadly it was before my time lol. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

When was the last time you were in school? For me it was 2008. To be fair, esports didn't get popular with schools until fairly recently. Maybe the past 5 years or so. It's still getting a foothold into schools and colleges around the world. I wish I had an esports team back then, because I would have so taken advantage of that. But sadly it was before my time lol. 

I graduated high school 2015, while college was last year. During the 2015 era I heard about esports, I don't know if it's what esports have today. But in my college time it became popular but my school didn't have an esports team when I was still a student. 

2 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I graduated high school 2015, while college was last year. During the 2015 era I heard about esports, I don't know if it's what esports have today. But in my college time it became popular but my school didn't have an esports team when I was still a student. 

Yeah it's still relatively new in schools. I'm just seeing more schools and colleges supporting it. Especially with how popular it's becoming. My nephew for example might be able to get into these esports teams for his school. He's not in high school yet, but maybe he'll give it a try. I can see him getting into being a part of a team like that. 

53 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah it's still relatively new in schools. I'm just seeing more schools and colleges supporting it. Especially with how popular it's becoming. My nephew for example might be able to get into these esports teams for his school. He's not in high school yet, but maybe he'll give it a try. I can see him getting into being a part of a team like that. 

That's cool that your nephew is gearing up a career around esports, finding a good school team in the future will make sense for him, he can build from there and become very good playing his preferred form of esports game. 

6 hours ago, Empire said:

School never did offer that anyway and if I had a choice I would not join. There are better things then that in collage/school that would lead you to a reallife job. 

When did you go to school? I was last in school in 2008, unless you count college, in which I was last there in 2013 I believe. Wow it's been so long lol. Anyway, my time in school, we didn't have anything cool like an esports team. It's just starting to become popular in my area, as my high school now has a club or esports team, and I think even the college I attended is now jumping into the fray. 

Honestly, if I had the option I would have. Considering you could potentially make good money in esports, I'd say it'd be worth a try at least. I doubt I'd get far, but who knows. Maybe with a team working together, I could make it happen. 

But, I have no interest in joining a team myself, I'd rather start one with some friends. 🙂

18 hours ago, Kane99 said:

When did you go to school? I was last in school in 2008, unless you count college, in which I was last there in 2013 I believe. Wow it's been so long lol. Anyway, my time in school, we didn't have anything cool like an esports team. It's just starting to become popular in my area, as my high school now has a club or esports team, and I think even the college I attended is now jumping into the fray. 

Honestly, if I had the option I would have. Considering you could potentially make good money in esports, I'd say it'd be worth a try at least. I doubt I'd get far, but who knows. Maybe with a team working together, I could make it happen. 

But, I have no interest in joining a team myself, I'd rather start one with some friends. 🙂

2009 was my last year at high school then went to collage and whatnot after that 🙂 And so you left afnout a year before me then haha LOL 

But yeah, No esports

I wanted to add, that I'm going to try and steer my nephew into joining the esports team if his school keeps it around. I think he's genuinely good at gaming and I could see him doing pretty good in a league. 

5 hours ago, Empire said:

2009 was my last year at high school then went to collage and whatnot after that 🙂 And so you left afnout a year before me then haha LOL 

But yeah, No esports

Ah nice! I decided to go to college 5 years after high school though. Which I regret, because in order to get a degree in computer science, I needed to take tons of math classes, and after 5 years away from school, I honestly forgot most math haha. I took an intermediate algebra class and it all looked like a foreign language to me lol. 

No because they didn't exist in large part when I was in school, and online gaming didn't even really exist when I was in school outside of the latter part of school. People in the 2002 era, like me, are some of the first mainstream online gamers for consoles.

PC gaming obviously had online gaming in popular fashion well before console gaming, but alot of the elites at that time didn't really want to scramble with hackers and frauds so they went in password protected rooms and servers -- which is something that people still do today even on consoles. There were one or two small very unknown consoles that had some online gaming components to them prior to the stuff going mainstream around 2002 or so, but nobody that I knew of really had that stuff as a kid so it was likely a TINY minority and the sales figures would likely show both low numbers and a failed console if you went back and looked at those.

SOCOM US Navy Seals (the original) for the Playstation 2 was really the inception of mainstream online gaming for consoles, which came out on August 27th, 2002 -- which I personally got at launch day (and was pretty good at the game, actually). The Playstation 2 obviously had an un-filled slot on the back of the console which alot of people weren't even sure was ever going to be utilized, but it was, and the first time to get the "network adapter" -- which brought SOCOM online -- was with the first SOCOM game in 2002. Once the network adapter came out for PS2, obviously there were a bunch of additional titles that offered online multiplayer. Shortly after the PS2 launched its online gaming component, Xbox Live itself was launched on November 15th, 2002 -- and here we are today with Playstation and Xbox having massive online play, but 2002 is where it started.

In my elementary and high school days that wasn't a thing and we didn't even know there was an organized video gaming competition.

Though we had chess and other board games competition but it was mostly between different Schools.

It was in my college days we started getting a hang of it but then my interest for competitive gaming has already died down.

14 hours ago, Clasher said:

In my elementary and high school days that wasn't a thing and we didn't even know there was an organized video gaming competition.

Though we had chess and other board games competition but it was mostly between different Schools.

It was in my college days we started getting a hang of it but then my interest for competitive gaming has already died down.

I'm guessing your day was similar to my day, and some of the bigger tournaments (if any) would have been on the PC, and there may have not even been money involved in some of the biggest tournies.

Fighting game tournaments were around when you were younger, as well as when I was, but I only learned about them in retrospect and they involved like 12 people playing at a super high level and just deciding who broke the game in the best possible way with crazy fast in game mechanics.

Street Fighter 2 tournaments have been around since I think the primordial soup days of humanity.

On 8/12/2022 at 8:29 PM, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

No because they didn't exist in large part when I was in school, and online gaming didn't even really exist when I was in school outside of the latter part of school. People in the 2002 era, like me, are some of the first mainstream online gamers for consoles.

PC gaming obviously had online gaming in popular fashion well before console gaming, but alot of the elites at that time didn't really want to scramble with hackers and frauds so they went in password protected rooms and servers -- which is something that people still do today even on consoles. There were one or two small very unknown consoles that had some online gaming components to them prior to the stuff going mainstream around 2002 or so, but nobody that I knew of really had that stuff as a kid so it was likely a TINY minority and the sales figures would likely show both low numbers and a failed console if you went back and looked at those.

SOCOM US Navy Seals (the original) for the Playstation 2 was really the inception of mainstream online gaming for consoles, which came out on August 27th, 2002 -- which I personally got at launch day (and was pretty good at the game, actually). The Playstation 2 obviously had an un-filled slot on the back of the console which alot of people weren't even sure was ever going to be utilized, but it was, and the first time to get the "network adapter" -- which brought SOCOM online -- was with the first SOCOM game in 2002. Once the network adapter came out for PS2, obviously there were a bunch of additional titles that offered online multiplayer. Shortly after the PS2 launched its online gaming component, Xbox Live itself was launched on November 15th, 2002 -- and here we are today with Playstation and Xbox having massive online play, but 2002 is where it started.

Same, I graduated in 2008, so I didn't get to experience all this esports stuff that's going on today. I mean, there was tournaments and stuff around the world, but never anything close to me. I played some of the PS2 back in the day online, sadly I got online too late, as I had the 360 for a few years. Reason I tried PS2 online was because my 360 died its 4th of 5th time, and I needed to do some gaming, so I decided to try PS2 online for the first time. Ended up playing WWE Smackdown Vs Raw 2006 I think it was. 

These days consoles even have tournaments you can sometimes join. It's becoming a lot more mainstream.