Register Now
CastletonSnob

Worst business decisions ever.

@DCcomment is what I totally agreed on.  In the past, Nokia, blackberry phone brands used to be top notch amongst others. It is just like Samsung and Apple being on the loggerhead who's the best when it comes to electronic devices. Nokia and Blackberry aren't Innovative, if not, they could've kept the competition going up to this moment. 

Ronaldo leaving real Madrid for Manchester United has to be the worst money oriented move he has ever made in his career, though he got better pay but that has put his career in jeopardy and might force him early into  retirement.

Blizzard Entertainment not buying out the Dawn of the Ancients modders who would then go on to make Valve millions with DOTA 2. Saltily, Activision-Blizzard went on to make Heroes of the Storm, a game that was dead out the gate and flailed for the remainder of its life, having no meaningful impact on the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA) space.

That's the only one that comes to mind, strangely enough.

Blockbuster passing up on Netflix looks really dumb now, but at the time, it didn’t look that crazy. I think Netflix was still only a mail order rental place, and who thought streaming would displace rental stores that quickly?

I think K-Mart buying Sears was dumb, it was a company on life support and bought another struggling company, and it ended up speeding up the decline of both.

18 hours ago, Grungie said:

Blockbuster passing up on Netflix looks really dumb now, but at the time, it didn’t look that crazy. I think Netflix was still only a mail order rental place, and who thought streaming would displace rental stores that quickly?

That's always the case no one would believe an idea is great until they see the results. Many big companies has lost a lot of its users due to this like blackberry losing to Android and a lot others I think has been mentioned in this thread.

On 8/14/2022 at 7:47 AM, Grungie said:

I think K-Mart buying Sears was dumb, it was a company on life support and bought another struggling company, and it ended up speeding up the decline of both.

Sears used to have a lot of overpriced stuff so I think that's why it became so unpopular after a while.

On 8/25/2022 at 8:28 PM, killamch89 said:

Sears used to have a lot of overpriced stuff so I think that's why it became so unpopular after a while.

My understanding was that they had a bad CEO that ran them into the ground. He made some decisions that racked up a lot of debt, and refused to modernize their stores and business model.

They apparently also were inconsistent with their prices between different stores. Sears price matched products, and it became dumb to price match for your own products.

On 8/28/2022 at 5:55 AM, Grungie said:

My understanding was that they had a bad CEO that ran them into the ground. He made some decisions that racked up a lot of debt, and refused to modernize their stores and business model.

They apparently also were inconsistent with their prices between different stores. Sears price matched products, and it became dumb to price match for your own products.

Thanks for the info - I didn't know about that but obviously the CEO or some higher up must be the ones responsible for the bad choices they made.