Register Now
StaceyPowers

VR for learning real-world trades and skills

2 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

One useful application of VR I can imagine would be to create educational video games that teach a person certain life skills, i.e. how to work on an automobile or such. What do you think of this idea?

VR could easily be used to help teach people how to do certain things. It is still recommended to do it in person, as I imagine repairing a car wouldn't work so well. Yeah you could learn parts, how to install things and so on, but in order to truly learn, you will have to get down and dirty with a real vehicle eventually. 

But, there are practical things VR can be used for and teaching is definitely one aspect. Especially if it's a VR game that lets you train in game. There are VR games where you can take apart and put together computers, cars, and more. So it's not far from reality. 

Mechanic simulator 🙂 maybe LOL 

Friend has been working on cars for over 20 years and this is the most in-depth car mechanic sim he ever played on VR. The motor is nearly identical to a Miata motor. The suspension work is almost perfectly adaptable to real life. I’ve built thousands of suspensions and this game was nearly no different. The only thing it’s missing is seized bolts, rust, and bashing your hand on. Oh and bad angles. The game allows you to access any angle since you can phase through most parts.

VR does make for a good learning tool. For example, if you're trying to teach a bunch of people something and you have limited space, VR in turn could be used to help teach certain things while not having to teach in a more crowded room. Say you're building something, or learning to fix computers for example. I doubt a room full of towers and people would be easy. It could be done, and has been sure, but I think in VR, it would be a lot easier as it wouldn't impede on the space the room already has. 

What I'm saying, is that it will make it easier for people to teach on certain aspects, like computer repair and so on. 

I never thought about using VR to teach people skills that they could use out the in the real world for jobs and such but I can see where that would work and would be ideal. 

Right now, so many seem to struggle when it comes to the skill they need for a job they wish to work in, having something like this could make it easier for those that need to, can gain the skills needed.