Register Now
StaceyPowers

What personality traits make it easier to immerse oneself in gaming?

Do you think there are any personality traits that have the potential to increase a person’s immersion in gaming?

For example, I suspect the personality trait called “absorption” might make it easier for someone to experience deep immersion in a game world.

2 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Do you think there are any personality traits that have the potential to increase a person’s immersion in gaming?

For example, I suspect the personality trait called “absorption” might make it easier for someone to experience deep immersion in a game world.

Not quite sure to be honest. I don't know what kind of personality traits go for gaming in general. I can see most personalities enjoying a video game, albeit, some not so much. But I think there are many personality types who find fun in games. 

I'm not sure what "Absorption" has to do with personality traits though. Absorption just means absorbing something, so idk how that works as a personality. Maybe someone who just wants to try everything, absorb all experiences, but that's all I can see by that meaning. 

I mean, you can be very immersed in a game, almost absorbed by it. Is that what you meant? 

2 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

No, I think it's entirely based on the design of the game. Immersion's something of a nothing-word in games discourse anyway because it's overused to the point where its definition is lost and its everyone has different ways of being immersed. Developers and publishers also use the word without explaining why the game is immersive, because saying it is immersive does not make it so. Some people are immersed by in-game engine cutscenes, others cinematics, meanwhile I prefer none at all. Some people are immersed by flight, some aren't. Some people are immersed by quest markers, some prefer journals, and some prefer nothing at all.

If personality traits do influence it, I'm not sure what they would be. I'd need to see a few examples before the argument clicks with me, I'm afraid. This may well be an interesting topic if developed upon though: what's more important? The personality traits or the design?

I think to an extent it comes naturally with the right games, but I think it’s a personality thing as well. I can’t play horror games as I get completely terrified to the point of a heart attack but will get a friend to come in and get me through parts and they have zero issue, literally creeping around in the minecraft caves rattles my bones 😛 

I think a players level of immersion into a game isn't tied to any character trait but only due to how much they enjoy the game and the kind of satisfaction derived.

Character trait are just how a person relates and things that  form a part of their behaviors in a real world environment, one might be calm in the real world but when you encounter them in video games they might be more violent than you imagined (I know a few people like this).

Character traits doesn't influence how much a person is immersed into a video game.

A lot of people get their immersion triggered by so many things in a game and there's no law that say that what makes a game to be immersive for gamer A would be the same thing for gamer B. Some gamers gets to that point simply by how good the games graphics is while some are from the game's design and gameplay. It differs from one person to another. 

Another thing, if a person is really into violence and murder, I think they would be very interested in games with violence in it. Now before anyone says "games don't cause violence" i'm not saying that. I'm saying that I think violent video games, may be of interest for violent people. But you could probably say that about any form of media, as I imagine someone who is very violent or into violence, would also be into movies, tv shows and other forms of media about it too. 

But yeah, I think there are people out there who love violence in the games, because they have that personality. I don't want to make this about violent video games though, as I don't think a video game can make one violent. But I can see people who are like that, being into that type of media even more. Does that make sense? 

23 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Another thing, if a person is really into violence and murder, I think they would be very interested in games with violence in it. Now before anyone says "games don't cause violence" I'm not saying that. I'm saying that I think violent video games, may be of interest for violent people. But you could probably say that about any form of media, as I imagine someone who is very violent or into violence, would also be into movies, TV shows and other forms of media about it too. 

But yeah, I think there are people out there who love violence in the games, because they have that personality. I don't want to make this about violent video games though, as I don't think a video game can make one violent. But I can see people who are like that, being into that type of media even more. Does that make sense? 

It absolutely makes sense. No game will make a person violent. I'm an extremely violent person, and I love Hatred among others. I get to go out and just kill everyone I see in the game. It gives me a feeling of euphoria. It's almost a sexual thrill to murder everyone in sight. Dopamine floods my body, and I pretty much get off playing the game. The more violent a games is, the more likely I will enjoy it.

Also it saves lives in the real world. All too often I want to arm up and just go around killing everyone I see. No reason, I just want to see blood fly and listen to the screams. I want to see and hear the agony in a persons eyes and voice when they watch someone they love die. It's bliss to me. Putting another person in as much pain as possible, in as many ways as possible is the greatest feeling.

I don't do anything of the kind to @Rain Dew as I love her too much to harm her. But she knows my inclinations and desires. She also keeps me grounded and in control of my desires.

Also, I find solace among the dead. I visit cemeteries at night, and when I was younger I would sleep in them amongst the graves.

So the games give me that, and simultaneously save real human lives.

Edited by The Blackangel

6 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

It absolutely makes sense. No game will make a person violent. I'm an extremely violent person, and I love Hatred among others. I get to go out and just kill everyone I see in the game. It gives me a feeling of euphoria. It's almost a sexual thrill to murder everyone in sight. Dopamine floods my body, and I pretty much get off playing the game. The more violent a games is, the more likely I will enjoy it.

Also it saves lives in the real world. All too often I want to arm up and just go around killing everyone I see. No reason, I just want to see blood fly and listen to the screams. I want to see and hear the agony in a persons eyes and voice when they watch someone they love die. It's bliss to me. Putting another person in as much pain as possible, in as many ways as possible is the greatest feeling.

I don't do anything of the kind to @Rain Dew as I love her too much to harm her. But she knows my inclinations and desires. She also keeps me grounded and in control of my desires.

Also, I find solace among the dead. I visit cemeteries at night, and when I was younger I would sleep in them amongst the graves.

So the games give me that, and simultaneously save real human lives.

That's why I never understood why people claim games cause violence. For me, a person who isn't violent at all, I have played a lot violent games out there. I've never been inspired by a game to kill, or to go out and hurt someone. I have played games where I just go on a killing sprees. Like with GTA V and RDR2. I have often found that I like going around killing people. But I would never have an urge to actually go out and kill people in real life.

In reality I ain't violent but I enjoy violent games and really enjoy shooting the living day light out of other characters, NPC or whatever that's killable in a video game.

I enjoy been under so much pressure in video games as it makes me think really fast which is why I enjoy survival horror games a lot.

Most of the traits I display in video games is nothing compared to what I am In reality.

Just as @The Blackangel stated you could enjoy doing such in video games but in reality you are in no way inclined towards hurting the ones you truly love, i could react when attacked but in other cases I am just as calm as a dove.

16 minutes ago, Clasher said:

In reality I ain't violent but I enjoy violent games and really enjoy shooting the living day light out of other characters, NPC or whatever that's killable in a video game.

I enjoy been under so much pressure in video games as it makes me think really fast which is why I enjoy survival horror games a lot.

Most of the traits I display in video games is nothing compared to what I am In reality.

Just as @The Blackangel stated you could enjoy doing such in video games but in reality you are in no way inclined towards hurting the ones you truly love, i could react when attacked but in other cases I am just as calm as a dove.

I think the reason why we like it, is because we're not really killing people in a game. Also, I sometimes see NPCs as unrealistic, and therefore not real enough to make me feel like I'm doing something wrong. I can shoot a guy in the face in RDR2, because I know that NPC wasn't a real person, doesn't feel anything and so on.

I can handle violence in video games, but I can't handle seeing violence in real life. If I see someone die for example, it weighs on me, I think about it for days and sometimes can't sleep. With a video game, it's not real, and doesn't feel real enough if that makes sense. 

2 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

I think the reason why we like it, is because we're not really killing people in a game. Also, I sometimes see NPCs as unrealistic, and therefore not real enough to make me feel like I'm doing something wrong. I can shoot a guy in the face in RDR2, because I know that NPC wasn't a real person, doesn't feel anything and so on.

I can handle violence in video games, but I can't handle seeing violence in real life. If I see someone die for example, it weighs on me, I think about it for days and sometimes can't sleep. With a video game, it's not real, and doesn't feel real enough if that makes sense. 

I am more immersed in violent games than I am for any other game which is why I am of the opinion that your character traits in the real world doesn't determine how immersed you are in a certain kind of game.

3 hours ago, Clasher said:

It's just like some so called researchers would come up with their silly survey research that gaming makes one be violent in real life which is so off and wrong in so many ways. I love violent, fighting, and horror games that are very creepy. Does that make a creepy human being? It doesn't in any way as far as I can tell. 

45 minutes ago, Heatman said:

It's just like some so called researchers would come up with their silly survey research that gaming makes one be violent in real life which is so off and wrong in so many ways. I love violent, fighting, and horror games that are very creepy. Does that make a creepy human being? It doesn't in any way as far as I can tell. 

I wouldn't worry about it too much, considering that they've done countless studies on video games and violence and haven't found any correlation between the two, as in it doesn't cause violence. But it could be argued again, that violent people will seek out violent video games, but I don't think they have the ability to make people violent or change one's mentality to do something heinous or wrong.