Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you feel weird if you take a break from a game at a totally random point?

I have a rotating schedule where I play a game for about a week, then move to another, then another, and then back to the first. But each time I do, I feel like I need to be at a logical break point in the game, i.e. just finished a mission, have gone back to in-game home, and have tidied up my inventory. If I just quit in the middle of a dungeon, I feel weird about it for days. Does anyone else also feel you need everything to be in its right place before taking a short break from a game?

2 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I have a rotating schedule where I play a game for about a week, then move to another, then another, and then back to the first. But each time I do, I feel like I need to be at a logical break point in the game, i.e. just finished a mission, have gone back to in-game home, and have tidied up my inventory. If I just quit in the middle of a dungeon, I feel weird about it for days. Does anyone else also feel you need everything to be in its right place before taking a short break from a game?

Depends on the game. Sometimes I have quit a game midway, and haven't come back to them. Some games I do go back, like in the case of Shadow of the Colossus, where originally I quit playing about a quarter of the way through and then came back, only to beat a few more levels and then quit again. I still have the save on my PS2 memory card somewhere, so if I ever want to, I can go back and continue it. 

But there are games that I do quit, and then finish later on. But majority of the time if I quit a game mid-way I often never come back to it. In regards to short breaks though, I do that a lot, but I always come back. I will take a break from playing RDR2 from time to time, but I always come back to it later or even minutes later. 

Edited by Kane99

Depends on the game. Online games I'll consult internet resources. Single player games I'll check for a tutorial and failing that, just start over.

With that said, to combat "game fatigue", I typically have 3 different styles of games that I have installed and am playing. A single player game that is my main game, a Metroidvania for when I need variety and something simpler and a online FPS when I need to blow off steam or play with friend

I don't end a video game or take a break from it if I haven't succeeded at completing the mission,it just feels like revisiting something I should have finished and it becomes boring.

I like to come back and begin from a new mission instead of going to a previous one I was playing except on some special occasions which I didn't have much of a control over.

My gaming schedule determines when I'm going to taking a break from it irrespective of what stage or level or task I have at hand in the game. As much as I'd love to keep playing, I have other things that are always far more important that I attend to them.

Once I'm done with whatever the reason it was that made me to take a pause from the game, I would jump right back into it. 

2 hours ago, Clasher said:

I don't end a video game or take a break from it if I haven't succeeded at completing the mission,it just feels like revisiting something I should have finished and it becomes boring.

I like to come back and begin from a new mission instead of going to a previous one I was playing except on some special occasions which I didn't have much of a control over.

Yeah, for me it's about completing the mission first before I quit for the night or day. There has been times where I had to quit mid game because of life reasons, but sometimes I just pause, do what I gotta do, and then come back to the mission, finish it, and if I need to be done for now, I will quit and return another day. 

Taking a break between playthroughs isn't a problem for me though. I've been playing RDR2 again, and surprisingly I'm sticking with it. I have paused, quit mid game, and so on, and I'm still back for more. I think this time around I'm just invested in it. I'm playing a story in my head, where Arthur is hurting. This was after he is captured near Chapter 3, by the bad guys (forgetting their names, they're the main bad guys against Dutch's gang). I had a style set for him, in that he's rocking this awesome mustache, but after that I let his beard grow out. When I get to the point where they're stranded on the island, I will then go back to cutting his beard to the stache lol. 

Sorry for going off on a tangent there. That's not want the topic is about, so I'll stop pulling it off topic. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah, for me it's about completing the mission first before I quit for the night or day. There has been times where I had to quit mid game because of life reasons, but sometimes I just pause, do what I gotta do, and then come back to the mission, finish it, and if I need to be done for now, I will quit and return another day. 

Taking a break between playthroughs isn't a problem for me though. I've been playing RDR2 again, and surprisingly I'm sticking with it. I have paused, quit mid game, and so on, and I'm still back for more. I think this time around I'm just invested in it. I'm playing a story in my head, where Arthur is hurting. This was after he is captured near Chapter 3, by the bad guys (forgetting their names, they're the main bad guys against Dutch's gang). I had a style set for him, in that he's rocking this awesome mustache, but after that I let his beard grow out. When I get to the point where they're stranded on the island, I will then go back to cutting his beard to the stache lol. 

Sorry for going off on a tangent there. That's not want the topic is about, so I'll stop pulling it off topic. 

Taking a break in between gameplay just to attend to other things and then get back at the game is perfectly understandable and you can't avoid such occurrences at times.

In this case taking a break can be for a long period of time maybe  some weeks and that's where I usually complete the mission at hand before doing such.

There are times when I just feel like getting into another game and leaving the one I am currently on half way and I wouldn't want to leave a mission incomplete because getting back at it after a few weeks Break and returning to the unfinished mission would seem boring I rather start off with a new mission.

4 hours ago, Clasher said:

Taking a break in between gameplay just to attend to other things and then get back at the game is perfectly understandable and you can't avoid such occurrences at times.

In this case taking a break can be for a long period of time maybe  some weeks and that's where I usually complete the mission at hand before doing such.

There are times when I just feel like getting into another game and leaving the one I am currently on half way and I wouldn't want to leave a mission incomplete because getting back at it after a few weeks Break and returning to the unfinished mission would seem boring I rather start off with a new mission.

Yeah I'm normally pausing my games to go and handle something in the other room, or take my dog out, stuff like that pretty much. If there's a time where I think I'll be gone for longer, I will then turn the game off, even mid mission if I need to. 

In terms of taking a break from a game for a while longer, I do that sometimes too. Usually though, if I take a long break, I don't tend to come back to the game anytime soon. So it may go back into the wait pile as I play something else, or take on life stuff. I do that a lot with games these days. Did it with the Guardians of the Galaxy game. Played one day, and then never looked back. I still want to finish it, but I don't know if I want to bother as I'd have to learn the controls again lol. 

14 hours ago, Clasher said:

Taking into consideration that some games have the potential of burning one out, it's something that's capable of making me take some time which might be a long period of time off the particular game in order to get myself. 

The time out from the game would be of a very good use to me because it's the only thing that's going to make the game be fun for me again when I get back into it. If I persist with it when I've been burnt out, it's going to kill my interest in the game. 

I myself hate to take breaks from games unless I really do have to due to maybe burnout or just frustration. The number of games in the past I have started to play and then left part way through and then when I have gone back, I am so lost as to what I was doing or what I had to do, it ends up being off putting and I tend to go away from the game because I left it at an awkward part. I am someone who when I play a game, likes to get in the groove, work my way through the game and just try and complete it in one sitting if I can so that I don't have the worry of forgetting things or the confusion of what I was doing. I hate to start a game and then just not want to go back to it after a break. 

On 11/23/2022 at 2:04 AM, Shortie said:

I myself hate to take breaks from games unless I really do have to due to maybe burnout or just frustration. The number of games in the past I have started to play and then left part way through and then when I have gone back, I am so lost as to what I was doing or what I had to do, it ends up being off putting and I tend to go away from the game because I left it at an awkward part. I am someone who when I play a game, likes to get in the groove, work my way through the game and just try and complete it in one sitting if I can so that I don't have the worry of forgetting things or the confusion of what I was doing. I hate to start a game and then just not want to go back to it after a break. 

That has happened to me a few times but usually it is from games where I couldn't get a grip of on my first game play and just had to get off it for some cases I would come back to the game but on others I just completely forget about it.

There are two ways to quit a game for me, one is quitting out of frustration, this can happen at any moment, or a planned exit point. The latter needs to be at a logical point, I'm almost OCD about that. I can't stop playing mid mission or in the middle of a conversation.

I've started so many games and then walked away from them for so long, came back and basically forgot where I was in the game or what I had to do next, forcing me to completely start over.  There are games i've never completed for this very reason.

2 minutes ago, Smokey said:

I've started so many games and then walked away from them for so long, came back and basically forgot where I was in the game or what I had to do next, forcing me to completely start over.  There are games i've never completed for this very reason.

There are some games where I know I will have to restart. I recently did this with the Guardians of the Galaxy game, and got maybe a few hours into the game and then quit. I enjoyed what I played, but I just wasn't that into it after a while. But, if I ever decide to jump back in, I'm going to have to replay it.