Register Now
Kane99

PS5 has now outsold the Nintendo Gamecube

This is just crazy, the PS5 has now outsold the Nintendo Gamecube in sales. That's based off the Gamecube's lifetime sales. The PS5 has sold 21.83 million units worldwide as of this moment, and the Gamecube's sales reached 21.74 overall. 

I never would have expected the PS5 to sell this fast. Soon enough it will catch up with the PS2 sales and then eventually the PS4 and maybe even the switch. I think the switch is higher up there right now, but I could be wrong. 

Anyway, you can read about this news here - https://www.vgchartz.com/article/454508/ps5-outsells-nintendo-gamecube/

7 hours ago, Kane99 said:

This is just crazy, the PS5 has now outsold the Nintendo Gamecube in sales. That's based off the Gamecube's lifetime sales. The PS5 has sold 21.83 million units worldwide as of this moment, and the Gamecube's sales reached 21.74 overall. 

I never would have expected the PS5 to sell this fast. Soon enough it will catch up with the PS2 sales and then eventually the PS4 and maybe even the switch. I think the switch is higher up there right now, but I could be wrong. 

Anyway, you can read about this news here - https://www.vgchartz.com/article/454508/ps5-outsells-nintendo-gamecube/

Your part about the sales of the PS2, PS4, and the Switch are implying that the PS4 and Switch outsold the PS2, which hasn't happened yet, as it's still at the #1 spot of best selling consoles by a decent margin.

Though to the original topic, in a way it is kind of surprising that the PS5 sold that quickly (due to how much of a pain it is to find), but the Gamecube wasn't known for selling that well either.

5 hours ago, Grungie said:

Your part about the sales of the PS2, PS4, and the Switch are implying that the PS4 and Switch outsold the PS2, which hasn't happened yet, as it's still at the #1 spot of best selling consoles by a decent margin.

Though to the original topic, in a way it is kind of surprising that the PS5 sold that quickly (due to how much of a pain it is to find), but the Gamecube wasn't known for selling that well either.

Yeah I should have said the PS4, PS3 and then the PS2. I don't recall how many sales the PS1 had, but I'm sure it's up there as well. But yeah, It's crazy to think how fast the consoles have moved. Even with the Series X. I think it's partly due to covid and people being in doors. Plus I imagine some people used their stimulus checks to get the new consoles. Didn't the PS5 and Series X come out mid pandemic? 

And on top of that, I think there are more people interested in gaming these days, so that could be a reason why sales have increased. 

While it's a neat accopmplishment it doesn't say a lot, besides it's like comparing apples with oranges doesen't make a whole lot of sense. When the gamecube launched gaming wasn't as big of a deal then it is now. Nearly every household in the world has atleast one consoles in their homes now ( well maybe not in the third world countries and in older folks their homes but you know what i mean) compare that to when the gamecube was around, i mean you rarely heard of people owning more then one current gen console back then, unless it was that extremely rich kid that everyone seems to want to be friends with at the time. Hell internet wasn't really that much of a big deal even and social media had yet to be invented ah those were the days.

But again i'm getting way off topic according to wikipedia's list of best selling consoles here, it's only a matter of months before the ps5 outsells the og xbox, again times are different but for a console that is barely avaible at normal retail that is pretty impressive, who knows how much Ps5 consoles would have been sold if there was enough stock to supply everybody who wants one. furthermore It's quite an interesting list as the switch is about to overtake the ps4 saleswise aswell, it even outsold the wii already, what you know you learn something new every day. Like the psp sold more untis then the 3ds, yet i never knew much people who had a psp to begin with, compared to the ds and 3ds.

It's just goes to show how much more populair gaming is compared to 20 years ago like the xbox one even sold 51 million units and everybody hated that thing when it first came out, not bad for a console with "no real exclusives".

Edited by Yaramaki

4 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah I should have said the PS4, PS3 and then the PS2. I don't recall how many sales the PS1 had, but I'm sure it's up there as well. But yeah, It's crazy to think how fast the consoles have moved. Even with the Series X. I think it's partly due to covid and people being in doors. Plus I imagine some people used their stimulus checks to get the new consoles. Didn't the PS5 and Series X come out mid pandemic? 

And on top of that, I think there are more people interested in gaming these days, so that could be a reason why sales have increased. 

Yeah, they came out in the fall of 2020, like November iirc.

7 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

While it's a neat accopmplishment it doesn't say a lot, besides it's like comparing apples with oranges doesen't make a whole lot of sense. When the gamecube launched gaming wasn't as big of a deal then it is now. Nearly every household in the world has atleast one consoles in their homes now ( well maybe not in the third world countries and in older folks their homes but you know what i mean) compare that to when the gamecube was around, i mean you rarely heard of people owning more then one current gen console back then, unless it was that extremely rich kid that everyone seems to want to be friends with at the time. Hell internet wasn't really that much of a big deal even and social media had yet to be invented ah those were the days.

But again i'm getting way off topic according to wikipedia's list of best selling consoles here, it's only a matter of months before the ps5 outsells the og xbox, again times are different but for a console that is barely avaible at normal retail that is pretty impressive, who knows how much Ps5 consoles would have been sold if there was enough stock to supply everybody who wants one. furthermore It's quite an interesting list as the switch is about to overtake the ps4 saleswise aswell, it even outsold the wii already, what you know you learn something new every day. Like the psp sold more untis then the 3ds, yet i never knew much people who had a psp to begin with, compared to the ds and 3ds.

It's just goes to show how much more populair gaming is compared to 20 years ago like the xbox one even sold 51 million units and everybody hated that thing when it first came out, not bad for a console with "no real exclusives".

True, but I feel as if it doing it in such a short period of time is pretty impressive. Considering the console came out late 2020, and has only been out for nearly 2 years now, is pretty impressive to me. And considering these are lifetime sales we're comparing it to. But I agree, times are much different today, because gaming is a lot more popular than it was. 

I think gaming has become more popular because it's become more accepted in our culture as well. The days of people saying "oh you play video games, why waste your time?" or "video games are for children". Etc. These days people who say that, just look dumb. We can say the same about tv, movies, music, reading your favorite book, etc. 

I wonder if the PS5 will end up being the best selling console of all time. 

Even when their is low availability of PS5, it is still dragging sales. I wonder where those available are coming from. Even when those who pre-ordered couldn't get theirs on time, I'm just confused with this type of statistics I'm getting about PS5 console outscoring Nintendo GameCube in terms of sales. 

On 8/10/2022 at 10:06 AM, Kane99 said:

I think the Gamecube was cool, but that is the era in which Nintendo fell from grace, so kind of an interesting and strange milestone to achieve I guess. What's most interesting is the fact you can't find a PS5 but still managed to sell a healthy amount of them.

Still many section of users are still saying that, PS5 aren't driving much of the sales, but here it says, PS5 have gone last the sales of GameCube. That's a tremendous milestone, Sony have done extremely well lately to fasten the release of the console. 

On 8/12/2022 at 1:43 AM, Justin11 said:

Even when their is low availability of PS5, it is still dragging sales. I wonder where those available are coming from. Even when those who pre-ordered couldn't get theirs on time, I'm just confused with this type of statistics I'm getting about PS5 console outscoring Nintendo GameCube in terms of sales. 

You shouldn't be confused about this stats. You can check what Playstation 2 did in sales to understand how Playstation consoles are still the king in the market. It is that simple. 

On 10/12/2022 at 6:32 AM, Demon_skeith said:

I don't think the gamecube sold all that well, so it's not a huge thing to pull off with something as good as the PS5.

The biggest challenge Playstation 5 had was unavailability after it was released. I am projecting mass sales next year once they are in the market.