Register Now
Kane99

How do you feel when people claim gaming is a waste of time or for kids only?

It falls into the same category for me as people who think anime are for kids, it's their opinion. Just like how I find people who gossip about others all the time boring, I'm entitled to that opinion. Seriously, Gaming will never have widespread acceptance despite scientific data proving its usefulness because of the social stigma.

23 hours ago, Clasher said:

My parents didn't play video games but they never stopped from playing because they were aware about how much of a good time I had with my Consoles.

My older siblings did play with me and even my uncles too, video game was just a normal thing in my house.

Anyone knows what pleases to him or her, I can't stop another from enjoying something he/she finds right to do. My parents didn't stop me too, but they controlled my gaming urge and made sure I didn't let addiction takes over me. And today I've realized the benefit of the control over gaming long hours. Their is no way I can play games all day, I need to fend also for my stomach and pay up bills, so I play when I have enough time for leisure bro. 

On 8/11/2022 at 5:21 PM, NightmareFarm said:

Insecure masculinity. The same people will watch grown men kicking a ball around for hours on end. 

Don't just mind silly people because what I understand is that they have a dislike for something that they don't participate in, which is why they easily rule it out as something that's not worthy of spending time on, thereby labelling it a waste of time. 

I love football. I play and also enjoy watching but that doesn't affect how I feel towards playing video games. 

7 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Anyone knows what pleases to him or her, I can't stop another from enjoying something he/she finds right to do. My parents didn't stop me too, but they controlled my gaming urge and made sure I didn't let addiction takes over me. And today I've realized the benefit of the control over gaming long hours. Their is no way I can play games all day, I need to fend also for my stomach and pay up bills, so I play when I have enough time for leisure bro. 

I think as a child your desires differ from what they are when you get to adulthood.

As a kid I didn't know what it meant to put food on the table or fend for myself so I could spend most of my time playing video games.

I can't do that now because I have to do other things during the day , but some would still like to talk on your when they see you playing videogames at times which is one of the reasons I like living alone.

5 hours ago, Clasher said:

I think as a child your desires differ from what they are when you get to adulthood.

As a kid I didn't know what it meant to put food on the table or fend for myself so I could spend most of my time playing video games.

I can't do that now because I have to do other things during the day , but some would still like to talk on your when they see you playing videogames at times which is one of the reasons I like living alone.

That's it man, the expectations were low during my time as a child when it comes to fending for my primary needs. It was just me and video games after school. Now, I bear lots of responsibilities and I want to make the best part of my life and cover those responsibilities before they dwindle me. 

On 8/13/2022 at 5:20 PM, Clasher said:

As a child or a kid, it's never your responsibility to look at that because you can't. You haven't even mature enough to have to worry about that. 

What about adults that into playing video games as a their professional jobs? So, according to those who have said gaming is for kids, those professional gamers are making a living from being involved in kids acts? 

11 hours ago, Heatman said:

As a child or a kid, it's never your responsibility to look at that because you can't. You haven't even mature enough to have to worry about that. 

What about adults that into playing video games as a their professional jobs? So, according to those who have said gaming is for kids, those professional gamers are making a living from being involved in kids acts? 

I think that's could be a worthy description of what professional gamers are doing to those who feel gaming is for kids alone.

Earlier I asked a few people this question if they feel video gaming is for kids and I got some really hilarious answers, one of them even said "he never wants to feel old or get old and video games makes him feel like he could still remain forever Young".

My take is similar to a lot of the responses here. If you are suffering from an addiction problem, then it's a YES. Mainly because the time you play games isn't balanced with your activities that you should be prioritizing. Have you taken the time to enjoy physical activities and hobbies other than gaming? Well, have you really tried hard? Honestly, it does feel like you're relying on the dopamine you get when achieving certain rewards in-game.

As for me, it isn't the case. I don't spend countless hours straight into gaming. Yes, if I have accumulated the time that I played, but I don't play til past midnight. There's few things that I have gained from gaming, like meeting some friends with the same interest, but those people I've met highly prioritize their irl activities as much as I do.

If people are dead set on gaming only being for kids, I want to meet the parents who would let their 7 year old play RDR2, so I can slap the shit out of them. The language, violence, sexual content, and alcohol/drug use is really something I would consider to not be lessons for a child of that age. I haven't played it, but I would assume GTA5 would be in that same boat. Then there are horror games. A child would be so freaked out that they would sleep between their parents for 3 months before going back to their own room. Especially with the more intense horror games.

Games are rated for a reason. And many are geared towards adults. Because (typically) we are able to see the difference between the real world, and games. While some a re a real world representation, they're still games.

If you have such an issue with gaming, then stick to Candy Land.

There was a YouTube video shared here at one time about a kid that's so addicted to video games it's wrecked him so badly and according to his parents being interviewed in the video, the kid was playing mostly GTA 5 where that's a lot of contents the kid shouldn't be exposed to but his parents failed at that in having him play games he's not supposed to be playing. 

On 8/11/2022 at 9:18 AM, Kane99 said:

I thought of this after commenting on another topic. You know how some people, mostly adults and the elderly like to say "Gaming is a waste of time", "Why don't you do something more productive", or "Gaming is for kids" etc. 

I still hear these excuses about how people think video games are below them or something. Yet someone will watch 90 day fiance on repeat. I just find it highly hypocritical to call someone's hobby a waste of time. Like nah man, I enjoy video games as much as you enjoy binging your favorite shows and watching your favorite trilogies or hell, reading that novel before you head to bed. 

I hate when I hear people say that, because they sound so dumb. Today, gaming is one of the biggest things in the world. From streamers, esports players and casual gamers, gaming has grown to become a billion dollar industry. 

It kinda reminds me how people thought gaming was a fad or a gimmick back in the 80s. Now days people are working in gaming, streaming, playing in tournaments for millions of dollars and more. 

What do you guys think though? Do you hate when people say this stuff to you about video games? Do you ever respond with quips like "Well you watch tv all day"? 

There's arguments to persuade people; I've gone that route sometimes. Such as I have like 57 competitive gaming #1 Ranks and several world records, therefore it is not a waste of time for me personally. I'm not NECESSARILY bragging about that, I just throw the facts at some people who say gaming is a waste of time. It also increases IQ, or has been said to by studies. Some stories and games are fun to entirely absorb yourself in to for leisure, which probably reduces stress.

Lately I don't argue and could literally care less what other people think about my gaming stuff provided that their negative comments are avoidable (meaning not shouted at me over an megaphone all day at work or something ridiculous). There are people in the world that have some pretty terrible and destructive habits, and video gaming isn't one of them.

I'm also a competitor and have received plenty of nasty criticism. In retrospect, I can say that 99% of the criticism or more has largely been non-constructive -- meaning that it has no ability to help or assist me in any way, therefore it's basically tossed out and always has been. I can think of like 2 or 3 instances where other people in my competitive field were friendly and gave me actual pointers, aside from groups I was in when I was younger where me and the other dudes just simply traded information without even being critical. Ask question to friend, get answer type of stuff.

On 8/12/2022 at 7:03 PM, The Blackangel said:

The short answer is:

🖕

Best answer! 😄

On 8/17/2022 at 7:05 AM, Empire said:

My take is similar to a lot of the responses here. If you are suffering from an addiction problem, then it's a YES. Mainly because the time you play games isn't balanced with your activities that you should be prioritizing. Have you taken the time to enjoy physical activities and hobbies other than gaming? Well, have you really tried hard? Honestly, it does feel like you're relying on the dopamine you get when achieving certain rewards in-game.

As for me, it isn't the case. I don't spend countless hours straight into gaming. Yes, if I have accumulated the time that I played, but I don't play til past midnight. There's few things that I have gained from gaming, like meeting some friends with the same interest, but those people I've met highly prioritize their irl activities as much as I do.

I agree on that. Addiction in gaming is a real problem for some, and at that point I would say it's a bit too much. I thankfully am not addicted to gaming, but I would say I'm addicted to other things, like watching too many movies, binging tv shows, etc. lol 

On 8/17/2022 at 11:30 AM, The Blackangel said:

If people are dead set on gaming only being for kids, I want to meet the parents who would let their 7 year old play RDR2, so I can slap the shit out of them. The language, violence, sexual content, and alcohol/drug use is really something I would consider to not be lessons for a child of that age. I haven't played it, but I would assume GTA5 would be in that same boat. Then there are horror games. A child would be so freaked out that they would sleep between their parents for 3 months before going back to their own room. Especially with the more intense horror games.

Games are rated for a reason. And many are geared towards adults. Because (typically) we are able to see the difference between the real world, and games. While some a re a real world representation, they're still games.

If you have such an issue with gaming, then stick to Candy Land.

I think it's because they don't know about what is released these days. I think they still picture Nintendo and Super Mario Bros as the only thing out today. Kinda like how some older people will say "oh ya still playing that Nintendo", but in reality you have an PS5 or something lol. I think the main thing, is that it's people who know next to nothing about video games and the trends alongside them. 

18 hours ago, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

There's arguments to persuade people; I've gone that route sometimes. Such as I have like 57 competitive gaming #1 Ranks and several world records, therefore it is not a waste of time for me personally. I'm not NECESSARILY bragging about that, I just throw the facts at some people who say gaming is a waste of time. It also increases IQ, or has been said to by studies. Some stories and games are fun to entirely absorb yourself in to for leisure, which probably reduces stress.

Lately I don't argue and could literally care less what other people think about my gaming stuff provided that their negative comments are avoidable (meaning not shouted at me over an megaphone all day at work or something ridiculous). There are people in the world that have some pretty terrible and destructive habits, and video gaming isn't one of them.

I'm also a competitor and have received plenty of nasty criticism. In retrospect, I can say that 99% of the criticism or more has largely been non-constructive -- meaning that it has no ability to help or assist me in any way, therefore it's basically tossed out and always has been. I can think of like 2 or 3 instances where other people in my competitive field were friendly and gave me actual pointers, aside from groups I was in when I was younger where me and the other dudes just simply traded information without even being critical. Ask question to friend, get answer type of stuff.

I don't argue with people about it anymore either. Then again I don't tend to hang out with those people anymore haha. Most of my family knows I game, but they don't know how much. I know my uncle for example has commented on video games, but I also noticed he was mesmerized by how realistic some games looked after he came by and saw me playing the likes of COD years ago. 

I think it goes back to people not knowing what gaming has grown into these days. They still think it's kid games, when it's more than that now.