Register Now
Kane99

Microsoft claims it ‘simply wouldn’t be profitable’ to make Call of Duty Xbox exclusive

That's like a person downsizing from an 8 bedroom mansion down to a 1 bedroom apartment; so this is captain obvious type of stuff from the call of duty people (and more reasons why I should be an executive). In a really sneaky way, though, people like Nintendo can still have a good sized mansion while maintaining all of their exclusives.

Some of it just comes down to recognition I think. Nobody in the current gaming world recognizes or has previously recognized call of duty as being exclusive to any platform. Alot of people don't even remember that Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy games were Playstation exclusives for a long time.

18 hours ago, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

Some of it just comes down to recognition I think. Nobody in the current gaming world recognizes or has previously recognized call of duty as being exclusive to any platform. Alot of people don't even remember that Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy games were Playstation exclusives for a long time.

True, but to be fair, with the likes of Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy, some of their earlier games were on Nintendo consoles. The first Metal Gear game was on the NES, same with Final Fantasy. The first 3D Metal Gear was exclusive to PlayStation, but they did make ports and hd remakes for future consoles later on down the line. 

3 hours ago, Kane99 said:

True, but to be fair, with the likes of Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy, some of their earlier games were on Nintendo consoles. The first Metal Gear game was on the NES, same with Final Fantasy. The first 3D Metal Gear was exclusive to PlayStation, but they did make ports and hd remakes for future consoles later on down the line. 

Final Fantasy was exclusive to Sony from Final Fantasy 7 onward; that's correct. The NES version of Metal Gear is very different from the MSX versions of Metal Gear, that are the proper and canon versions of the game officially recognized by the developers and creator Hideo Kojima. The NES version of Metal Gear is like an innacurate carbon copy of the authentic title, so it counts but kinda sorta not really in context of other stuff. The authentic version of Metal Gear 2, called "Solid Snake", was an MSX exclusive, but Nintendo had an entirely different game called "Snakes Revenge". So the NES version of Metal Gear is similar to the real one, but Snakes Revenge is very different from the Solid Snake making the argument that both of them can be tossed out with the fake Metal Gear Solid game called "Ghost Babel". 

Ghost Babel was not an authentic/canon Metal Gear Solid game, so it would go into the bunch with NES Metal Gear, NES Metal Gear 2: Snakes Revenge, and both of the Metal Gear Ac!d games released exclusively to the PSP.

That said: Metal Gear Solid games from the authentic/original/canonical title on forward to Metal Gear Solid 4 have been exclusively released on Sony consoles. 1, 2, 3 and 4 were (originally) exclusives, and 1 through 4 spanned a very long timeframe. Something like 1998 to 2008. Portable Ops, which was originally a massive game in the series, along with Peace Walker (even bigger), were both originally released as Sony exclusives.

Later on alot of these games were ported to other consoles in packages and stuff, with the exception of MGS4 -- which has remained a PS3 exclusive for 14 plus years. MGS5 was really the first numerical title to get a release on several consoles. As far as when Final Fantasy went from being Sony exclusive (starting with 7, I know about 1 through 6), I think they started being multi-platform once again with Final Fantasy XIII at the initial release because that's what I got my copy on. Final Fantasy XII MIGHT have been, but I do know they retroactively went back and released an updated version of FFXII for Xbox One.

On 8/17/2022 at 8:22 AM, Clasher said:

I guess it's just rumours.

Are there any Bethesda  games coming out in a short time that is multiplatform?

Redfall is one of new Bethesda games that's about coming out in early 2023. You can play it as a single player and also in multiplayer mode. 

On 8/18/2022 at 5:44 PM, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

Final Fantasy was exclusive to Sony from Final Fantasy 7 onward; that's correct. The NES version of Metal Gear is very different from the MSX versions of Metal Gear, that are the proper and canon versions of the game officially recognized by the developers and creator Hideo Kojima. The NES version of Metal Gear is like an innacurate carbon copy of the authentic title, so it counts but kinda sorta not really in context of other stuff. The authentic version of Metal Gear 2, called "Solid Snake", was an MSX exclusive, but Nintendo had an entirely different game called "Snakes Revenge". So the NES version of Metal Gear is similar to the real one, but Snakes Revenge is very different from the Solid Snake making the argument that both of them can be tossed out with the fake Metal Gear Solid game called "Ghost Babel". 

Ghost Babel was not an authentic/canon Metal Gear Solid game, so it would go into the bunch with NES Metal Gear, NES Metal Gear 2: Snakes Revenge, and both of the Metal Gear Ac!d games released exclusively to the PSP.

That said: Metal Gear Solid games from the authentic/original/canonical title on forward to Metal Gear Solid 4 have been exclusively released on Sony consoles. 1, 2, 3 and 4 were (originally) exclusives, and 1 through 4 spanned a very long timeframe. Something like 1998 to 2008. Portable Ops, which was originally a massive game in the series, along with Peace Walker (even bigger), were both originally released as Sony exclusives.

Later on alot of these games were ported to other consoles in packages and stuff, with the exception of MGS4 -- which has remained a PS3 exclusive for 14 plus years. MGS5 was really the first numerical title to get a release on several consoles. As far as when Final Fantasy went from being Sony exclusive (starting with 7, I know about 1 through 6), I think they started being multi-platform once again with Final Fantasy XIII at the initial release because that's what I got my copy on. Final Fantasy XII MIGHT have been, but I do know they retroactively went back and released an updated version of FFXII for Xbox One.

Oh I'm well aware of the history. Exclusively doesn't mean much these days. Hell Death Stranding is coming to gamepass now, I never would have expected that. 

3 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Oh I'm well aware of the history. Exclusively doesn't mean much these days. Hell Death Stranding is coming to gamepass now, I never would have expected that. 

That has nothing whatsoever to do with my original point. All I said was that some of the games I mentioned were exclusive to Sony at some point.

You were factually incorrect about some Metal Gear stuff, so I pointed some of that out as well; such as the fact that only the MSX versions of the Metal Gear titles are considered canon.

Exclusivity certainly means alot less these days, unless you are Nintendo because people buy the consoles for the Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pokemon and Metroid stuff, etc.

Microsoft is even downplaying how popular and the importance of Call of Duty franchise by labelling it nothing unique or a must have. Bear it in mind that they don't own Activision yet till its announced by multiple regulatory bodies to make sure they didn't violate antitrust laws. 

Cod is one of the biggest franchise video game series in Activision history. Now, Microsoft owns that right due to the purchase if Activision, rebranding how they make releases of the series game will make sense into classic. But them alone knows the reason why they made such comment that they wouldn't make profit. 

On 8/21/2022 at 11:16 PM, Justin11 said:

Cod is one of the biggest franchise video game series in Activision history. Now, Microsoft owns that right due to the purchase if Activision, rebranding how they make releases of the series game will make sense into classic. But them alone knows the reason why they made such comment that they wouldn't make profit. 

I think that it's between World of Warcraft, Call of Duty and Overwatch that are most popular and biggest franchise or game's titles which Activision Blizzard have work on. With Microsoft taking over the company now, I wonder which title they are going to give more attention. What do you think? 

28 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Didn't I say this in another related thread? Xbox making COD exclusive hurts their pockets and all these gaming companies care about is profit.

Yeah, you did mentioned it and it's something that's even very obvious for them to know it that it's not going to be the right approach for the game's franchise. 

8 hours ago, Heatman said:

I think that it's between World of Warcraft, Call of Duty and Overwatch that are most popular and biggest franchise or game's titles which Activision Blizzard have work on. With Microsoft taking over the company now, I wonder which title they are going to give more attention. What do you think? 

They can continue from where they stopped or find another franchise series to give it. Microsoft got strong vision, that's the reason why they purchased Activision, they continue from where the company lacked behind. 

1 hour ago, Justin11 said:

They can continue from where they stopped or find another franchise series to give it. Microsoft got strong vision, that's the reason why they purchased Activision, they continue from where the company lacked behind. 

They are just being too greedy and want to have monopoly over the gaming industry. It's not about any big vision but to eliminate the competition in the market. 

19 minutes ago, Heatman said:

They are just being too greedy and want to have monopoly over the gaming industry. It's not about any big vision but to eliminate the competition in the market. 

Normally humans are born with that trait being greedy, that's why you see the rich being so mean when it comes to given out to the poor. They don't want to go down at their current position of riches, they just want to continue being so rich. That's the case with Microsoft when they bought Activision blizzard company. 

On 9/16/2022 at 11:08 PM, Justin11 said:

Normally humans are born with that trait being greedy, that's why you see the rich being so mean when it comes to given out to the poor. They don't want to go down at their current position of riches, they just want to continue being so rich. That's the case with Microsoft when they bought Activision blizzard company. 

I'm not sure if I would say that all human beings are born with the trait of being greedy. That's a generalisation the way I see it. Some might be greedy while some are not.