Register Now
StaceyPowers

Is the Metaverse really a “new” thing?

I did a little search and I guess the metaverse has been a concept or idea (in a book called Snow Crash) since the early 90s. At least according to wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaverse

Take that with a grain of salt of course, as wikipedia isn't always 100% correct. Either way, it's been a concept for a while now, and it sounds like it could be taking shape now that VR headsets and AR devices are starting to come out. 

Funny to know that Facebook wasn't the first ones to think of such an idea. It's been a thing for a while it seems. 

I began hearing about metaverse recently, infact it is connected to NFTs, and many are truly milking from this metaverse of a thing and adding much monetary value to it. I never really got into it, not yet a fan that's what has kept me away from the world of metaverse. 

I think NFT actually gave Metaverse a big push been that the images digitalised art is going to play a big role in making Metaverse a reality.

Ideas like this have been around but technology advancements now has made it somewhat of a reality.

As far as I can tell it is like Second Life or OpenSimulator only maybe not as good. I have seen nothing in the ads that is not trivial in SL and OS. I know of nothing they claim it can do that is not already supported by current tech. It has already changed the way some of us communicate, work, school, or socialize. The people hyping the term metaverse are way late to the game and know how to hype better than they know how the game works. I doubt that they will succeed, but the long time players are doing well.

On 8/11/2022 at 4:33 PM, Kane99 said:

I did a little search and I guess the metaverse has been a concept or idea (in a book called Snow Crash) since the early 90s. At least according to wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaverse

Take that with a grain of salt of course, as wikipedia isn't always 100% correct. Either way, it's been a concept for a while now, and it sounds like it could be taking shape now that VR headsets and AR devices are starting to come out. 

Funny to know that Facebook wasn't the first ones to think of such an idea. It's been a thing for a while it seems. 

But most of us knew Facebook didn't come up with the idea in the first place - they were just trying to position themselves as such.