Register Now
Kane99

Video Game Streaming Sees Significant Drop In Audience Over Last Quarter

On 8/21/2022 at 6:35 AM, Empire Of Sight said:

Its def the covid ending, people back to work and lives just getting busy again.

However people get bored of watching the same games, same streamers and new / more interesting dopamine giving content will overide it. Youtube really blew up because gaming videos / pranks/ memes in the start but now its more focused on Vlogs and random stuff like that.

In the future chances are it'll just be 24 hour IRL streams like the Truman show where the streamer does it all and the audience tunes in at specific times to watch what they want to watch.

EOS

Yeah I figure Covid is a big reason. Especially since I recently heard that gaming profits have gone down a bit since the lockdown lifted, which I could see in turn causing less people to stream game content. 

Anyway, I could see some people doing 24 hour streams. I think there are some people that do that. I don't think I could stream for that long ever.

3 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah I figure Covid is a big reason. Especially since I recently heard that gaming profits have gone down a bit since the lockdown lifted, which I could see in turn causing less people to stream game content. 

Anyway, I could see some people doing 24 hour streams. I think there are some people that do that. I don't think I could stream for that long ever.

Actually I think doing a 24 hour livestream of your life would be fun and depending on your style of streaming it could be massive. Like if you just streamed without ever acknowledging the audience? Would almost be 100% reality T.V compared to chat rooming with whoever is viewing. Could be an interesting future coming on the streaming end considering the how well blockchain could integrate  into that. 

Do you stream ?

On 8/11/2022 at 9:59 PM, Kane99 said:

Source: 

https://hypebeast.com/2022/8/twitch-facebook-gaming-youtube-gaming-hours-watched-decline-q2-2022

I think there are a few reasons why game streams are seeing a drop in viewers.

1) I think Covid helped increase the amount of people streaming, and now that everything is open up again, people aren't watching as much anymore.  

This is exactly the most part of it the way that I see it. The online community in every aspect saw a major boom during the COVID lockdown period. We all literally lived our lives through the online medium created for us. 

Now, everything seem to be almost back to normal and things have been reverting back to its original shape. 

On 8/23/2022 at 3:11 AM, Empire Of Sight said:

Thankfully if I ever want to leave I can I just feel I've invested way too much money and time here over the last few years to run before its impossible to stay for mental health xD.

Would love for all the nonsense to end but there's some understanding that the population has almost zero resistance at this point because of the measures taken over the last 3 years... Still I would love for a magical "we are done with zero covid the "war on the virus is won!" because the global economy needs that message more than anything right now.. The markets have spanked me this year haha.

One thing cool thing is to watch a countries ability to randomly lock down a city of 25million people in 4 hours completely. That was an insane sight to behold lol.

EOS

I love your faith to say, COVID-19 effects are over, even if the world isn't completely free from the challenges posed by covid 19. At least, it isn't like before when it kept everyone at home, normal activities have started even if their is some limitations when it comes to large gatherings in some countries. 

i work in healthcare and i'm here to tell you covid is still very much alive and well.

i have some friends that do 24 hr gaming streams. one is coming up on his 12 month sober anniversary and wants to do a 24 hr stream next month. if i'm off i'm gonna try to hang out. i told him if he needed an extra mod for the day i'd be down for it. i mod for another guy on twitch. he hardly gets any viewers bless his heart. he's a pretty cool guy. i've been with him from the beginning on twitch. i met him on facebook. he made me a mod even though i had no clue what to do. i ended up googling the info so i could at least do the basics for now. i just don't see how these people can do this full time and make enough to live on. i would feel weird streaming and expecting people to pay to watch me play video games all day. 

27 minutes ago, runswithspatulas said:

i work in healthcare and i'm here to tell you covid is still very much alive and well.

i have some friends that do 24 hr gaming streams. one is coming up on his 12 month sober anniversary and wants to do a 24 hr stream next month. if i'm off i'm gonna try to hang out. i told him if he needed an extra mod for the day i'd be down for it. i mod for another guy on twitch. he hardly gets any viewers bless his heart. he's a pretty cool guy. i've been with him from the beginning on twitch. i met him on facebook. he made me a mod even though i had no clue what to do. i ended up googling the info so i could at least do the basics for now. i just don't see how these people can do this full time and make enough to live on. i would feel weird streaming and expecting people to pay to watch me play video games all day. 

Video game streaming is seeing a drop maybe because the contents streamers put out there are now just full banter and too much talking without much to give you a better incite into what the player is doing on the screen.

I have a YouTube channel but not for streaming video games related contents, I felt I wasn't much of a gamer that people would want to watch play videogames.

When you give much insightful information around games you made reviews on, it will be convincing for gamers to play. But where their is critics around game reviews, audience will find it difficult to pick such games to play. I think such kind of notion have reduced streaming and video playing time too. 

1 hour ago, Justin11 said:

When you give much insightful information around games you made reviews on, it will be convincing for gamers to play. But where their is critics around game reviews, audience will find it difficult to pick such games to play. I think such kind of notion have reduced streaming and video playing time too. 

for me it's listening to the gamers whine about the game. it's like just play it. if you can't play it without whining about your losses the whole time nobody wants to see that.

3 hours ago, Clasher said:

Video game streaming is seeing a drop maybe because the contents streamers put out there are now just full banter and too much talking without much to give you a better incite into what the player is doing on the screen.

I have a YouTube channel but not for streaming video games related contents, I felt I wasn't much of a gamer that people would want to watch play videogames.

To be fair, the market is saturated with low-quality streamers who aren't very entertaining and keep talking about things that don't have anything to do with the game.

3 hours ago, killamch89 said:

To be fair, the market is saturated with low-quality streamers who aren't very entertaining and keep talking about things that don't have anything to do with the game.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I think that the cause is that there are so many noobs jumping into streaming with the mindset to make money from it instead of working on rendering service first. It defeats the whole process. 

On 8/23/2022 at 4:59 AM, Empire Of Sight said:

Actually I think doing a 24 hour livestream of your life would be fun and depending on your style of streaming it could be massive. Like if you just streamed without ever acknowledging the audience? Would almost be 100% reality T.V compared to chat rooming with whoever is viewing. Could be an interesting future coming on the streaming end considering the how well blockchain could integrate  into that. 

Do you stream ?

I think there are a few Twitch streamers who are on 24/7. Some even stream while sleeping. I don't know if I could do that myself. I mean, if it paid me somehow, I would for sure consider it, but I doubt people want to watch me stream 24/7, my life is pretty boring honestly lol. 

I've considered streaming, but I don't know what I would do. I don't think I could do a just chatting stream or anything like that. I would maybe do streams on video games and maybe old VHS style content like commercials. 

On 8/25/2022 at 6:26 PM, runswithspatulas said:

for me it's listening to the gamers whine about the game. it's like just play it. if you can't play it without whining about your losses the whole time nobody wants to see that.

This is actually why I'm very selective when it comes to the streaming channels I make use of. I hate it when I put my time into something and it ends up being a big joke. Only if they are paying for us to watch their contents, most of them would be very serious whenever they play. 

6 hours ago, Heatman said:

This is actually why I'm very selective when it comes to the streaming channels I make use of. I hate it when I put my time into something and it ends up being a big joke. Only if they are paying for us to watch their contents, most of them would be very serious whenever they play. 

that and the bigger they get the less engaged they become with their followers. especially the ones that have been with them from the beginning.

On 8/25/2022 at 6:26 PM, runswithspatulas said:

Because nothing moves smoothly from starting to the end. You must undergo trials in gaming, and you'll incur defeats and those defeats you share creates suspense amongst gamers. I wouldn't like to listen to reviews were the game is 💯 excellent without flaws at some point in the review, it will make me feel though the gamer is just trying to promote the developers. 

6 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Because nothing moves smoothly from starting to the end. You must undergo trials in gaming, and you'll incur defeats and those defeats you share creates suspense amongst gamers. I wouldn't like to listen to reviews were the game is 💯 excellent without flaws at some point in the review, it will make me feel though the gamer is just trying to promote the developers. 

yes but, constant complaining about glitches and how broken the game is gets old day after day. they sit and complain they hate the game. it's one thing to say hey this is glitchy today. i get that. no game is perfect and most of us know that. there's a difference between the occasional comment and constant whining.