Register Now
StaceyPowers

How long until you give up on a puzzle and cheat?

It really depends on the game. There's some puzzles I want to spend time with out of respect for the game and the specific puzzle itself. Rarely do I look up how to do the eight tile puzzle of Idol Springs in Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer because of the funky beat, the art style (as grey as it is), and just being Spyro. Otherwise if I'm getting tired of it, I'm only playing for completions' sakes, or it's just not as clever a puzzle as the developer thinks it is, I'm going to promptly look it up.

I agree with the sentiment of 'not having signed up for puzzles'. There's not many games that let you skip past them, and quite frankly it tells me a lot about what they lend to the game if the option is present, but I appreciate being able to bypass them without effort all the same.

I think the only puzzle I will ever look up instantly without attempt is the Jindosh Riddle (otherwise known as the Jindosh Lock) of Dishonored 2. If you know, you know.

In all honesty, this hardly happens to me because before I get into playing any games, I must have known everything to expect from the game. If there are puzzles in the game, I'm going to know before getting it.

So, the puzzle would never have me by surprise. But in a situation where even knowing the puzzles exist in the game and it proved too difficult for me to get across, I might give it a go for at least 2-3 days and if I can't beat it, then I'd seek for help online or from friends who played the game already. 

Giving up would mean I just quit the game and continue some other when my mind is more inclined or relaxed and in most cases I get them solved on the second try.

But In more severe cases is when I go online to seek for some incite about that part.

For me it really depends on what game I'm playing and how much the puzzle factor is.

sometimes I'll temporarily give up and come back to it later, but sometimes when I've been at it for 30mins-1hour and I'm totally stumped, I'll just go and look for the answer online...

To be honest, there are some puzzles I've encountered that are so weird, they're basically unsolvable, unless you have a very high IQ relating to spatial logic etc.

even after knowing the answer I'm like: really? This was the answer? WHY?! 😣

Depends on the puzzle and how hard it is. For me I like to try to complete a puzzle before I give up and look for a walkthrough. But there are games where I can't figure it out, and then find out it's the simplest thing ever to complete it. I wouldn't say I cheat, I do look up guides online if needed. Whether you believe that to be cheating or not, I don't care. I will use guides if needed. I don't want to get stuck on a part that could take me seconds to figure out with a quick guide. 

On 8/14/2022 at 12:38 PM, Empire said:

I just giveup and end it 🙂 I would not even cheat. just take a break and then come back to the puzzle. With a break it might be matter and you might ended up going Ohhhhhhh that's the answer 

Cheating is definitely not for me right now in my level of gaming. Maybe when I was a lot younger, I'd give it a couple of runs because it's how my peers played back then. But now, I have grown enough to know when to walk away. 

Cheats fits puzzle game no doubt. Their is no way I can stress myself that much to play puzzle games without trying my way with cheats if I have them in my possession. I so much hate games that stresses my medulla, I love relaxing games and racing is one of them. 

It depends, sometimes I'll spend like 30 minutes or so trying to find a hint. If I can't, then I'll look online to save myself time (since sometimes the hint could have been a long time ago or not actually noticeable).

32 minutes ago, Syntax said:

It depends, sometimes I'll spend like 30 minutes or so trying to find a hint. If I can't, then I'll look online to save myself time (since sometimes the hint could have been a long time ago or not actually noticeable).

I also look for tips online with some game's that I play as well especially when they are games that I'm playing out for the first time. It's why watching game's on YouTube channel is a big path for catching tips on how to play for me. 

Does anyone here still utilize strategy guides? Like the big books you could buy at the store for pretty much every game to come out. They still make them these days, but they're becoming less and less due to the internet and the ease of putting out a walkthrough. I wouldn't mind building up a strategy guide collection one day. I see no issues with using them when you're in a pinch. 

9 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Does anyone here still utilize strategy guides? Like the big books you could buy at the store for pretty much every game to come out. They still make them these days, but they're becoming less and less due to the internet and the ease of putting out a walkthrough. I wouldn't mind building up a strategy guide collection one day. I see no issues with using them when you're in a pinch. 

It's been a long time since I had a need for one but they were really cool and helpful back in the days, only used one once because my friend had it.

When I encounter a really difficult puzzle in a video game I look for answers online and in times when there is no helpful hint online I just quit and come back some other time to continue.