Register Now
Nebulous

Do video games help develop skills?

Essentially what @killamch89 says. I think they can help with empathy, teamwork (coordination), problem solving, and in some instances creative writing.

This is the third time I've had to ask this morning, @Nebulous, but what are your thoughts on the subject? Please put in as much effort in your original post as you would like others to do, so we can have a discussion and bounce ideas off one-another.

Just as anyone who contributed in your post have to agree, that's where I stand too. I don't just play games when it wouldn't add some value to my life. I started playing racing games, because I love driving in real-life. I am not an expert rider, but the skills I get from playing those favourite racing games, have enabled me learn better driving skills and confidence in driving. 

Everything depends on the kind of games that you play and what it offers you in terms of education. Take for instance, in most simulation games where you get to simulate real life events, it helps to groom you on such task. 

Also, I playing car racing and driver simulation games taught me how to drive in real life. It's where I learnt almost everything about car driving and parking. 

Yeah videogames (and movies) pretty much taught me English at an early age , it also helped me to think outside of the box and come up with solutions that others wouldn't probably think about in the past. As @Justin11 and @Heatman above said it also helped me with my driving skills and reacting skills when driving. I'm also from believe that gaming can be benefitial for your mental health because it's supposed to make you happy

1 minute ago, Yaramaki said:

Yeah videogames (and movies) pretty much taught me English at an early age , it also helped me to think outside of the box and come up with solutions that others wouldn't probably think about in the past. As @Justin11 and @Heatman above said it also helped me with my driving skills and reacting skills when driving. I'm also from believe that gaming can be benefitial for your mental health because it's supposed to make you happy

You're very correct about video games helping out with one's mental health because a lot of people have supported the fact that it helped them deal with their depression at one point. @Kane99supported that assessment not long ago in one of the threads that it helped him deal with his depression. 

5 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

You're very correct, and most importantly the happiness that comes through video game is beyond compare. The feeling I get from playing GT, MGP racing games, are totally pleasant, like I'm in seven heaven, only football can offer me more than that. 

Depends on the game. Video games might not make you intelligent, maybe the just tend to attract smarter people.

No video game is going to make you smarter in ways that translate to the real world; you won't learn anything about philosophy, history, the arts, math, or any other intelligent/intellectual subject. What you are doing is training your brain and body to preform a function, maybe it translates into a 10% faster math problem solving speed or what have you, but the benefits just aren't tangible.

19 hours ago, Empire said:

Depends on the game. Video games might not make you intelligent, maybe the just tend to attract smarter people.

No video game is going to make you smarter in ways that translate to the real world; you won't learn anything about philosophy, history, the arts, math, or any other intelligent/intellectual subject. What you are doing is training your brain and body to preform a function, maybe it translates into a 10% faster math problem solving speed or what have you, but the benefits just aren't tangible.

This is hilarious, and truly video games doesn't make you smarter but a lot of smart people likes to play video games as a way of relaxation.

Though skill still comes into play with video games even for games like FIFA you still need to calculate really well as a professional player would on the pitch to be able to score goals during the game.

On 8/13/2022 at 5:14 PM, Clasher said:

I think puzzles games help with cognitive ability.

Games in general actually helps build your imagination which is an essential part of creativity as well.

Puzzle video games are very good at doing that one. It helps to make you think sharp and be very smart. It works on the brains so much. 

It helps a gamer who gets into playing it very often to be critical and technical whenever they are thinking and making plans. 

44 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Puzzle video games are very good at doing that one. It helps to make you think sharp and be very smart. It works on the brains so much. 

It helps a gamer who gets into playing it very often to be critical and technical whenever they are thinking and making plans. 

Yeah that's true.

When I was much younger I actually enjoyed playing puzzle Games a lot and sometimes I could spend a few days on a particular puzzle trying to crack it up and when I eventually do I would show it off to my siblings and brag that they couldn't crack the puzzle faster than I did.

Yeah I can see video games helping us develop certain skills. Hand eye coordination and dexterity is one aspect for sure. As well, I see critical thinking and decision making mentioned too, which is true. 

Also with online gaming, it could be a way to socialize and get over social anxiety. Which is what I kinda used it for in a way.