Register Now
Nebulous

Do video games help develop skills?

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah I can see video games helping us develop certain skills. Hand eye coordination and dexterity is one aspect for sure. As well, I see critical thinking and decision making mentioned too, which is true. 

Also with online gaming, it could be a way to socialize and get over social anxiety. Which is what I kinda used it for in a way. 

For those that are with introverted personality, video games offer them a good way out to socialize online very well. 

If you're very good at puzzle games, there's a high chance that you're going to be very good in mathematics according to one of work colleagues. 

Those who are introvertic socialize well online than offline. I was just like that offline but with time I started expressing myself just just video game interaction online made it change for me. Because, I am into football, I meet lots of people along the way who loves soccer just as I do. But to be frank, video games helped me to adapt to driving better with high precision when it comes to making quick driving decision..

17 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

Those who are introvertic socialize well online than offline. I was just like that offline but with time I started expressing myself just just video game interaction online made it change for me. Because, I am into football, I meet lots of people along the way who loves soccer just as I do. But to be frank, video games helped me to adapt to driving better with high precision when it comes to making quick driving decision..

A friend of mine is currently working on his musical skills with some video games based off that genre. According to him, it's a good way for him to practice in a way that he's having fun and learning at the same time without having to feel bored. 

I have actually picked up a few languages and culture as well words from video games that ordinarily I wouldn't have been exposed to it which would get me to look into it. Take for instance, when Javier Escuella Sings in Spanish in Red Dead Redemption 2. 

On 8/15/2022 at 6:32 PM, Heatman said:

For those that are with introverted personality, video games offer them a good way out to socialize online very well. 

If you're very good at puzzle games, there's a high chance that you're going to be very good in mathematics according to one of work colleagues. 

Of course. I'm kinda introverted when it comes to most things. I'm more shy than anything, but I found that with my online work, I've become more comfortable talking with people online. I am always in a Discord party for work related things. One of my co-workers is always in there, so we hang out and chat while we work. And we also game at night and sometimes watch movies. It helps a lot to socialize with people in that way. 

But yeah, it's easier said than done. Most of the time I hate online lobbies, so I don't speak often. But when I'm forced to, that's when I realize it helps me more. Kinda like how they do exposure therapy, where you do the things you're scared of. Well playing on public lobbies with a mic while you have social anxiety, would kinda count in that regard. 

They can develop skills in some areas, but diminish skills in other areas. It may also depend on whether or not a game is, or has the ability, to connect to the internet because very nasty advanced hackers can take the game that someone is playing and potentially make it an un-authentic experience. This is partially a legal theory that I am working on, but it's also essentially proven to an extent, that the authentic version of a game can be vastly different from the game if it is changed or tampered with even if said change is tiny.

Edited by ForwardSlashDownPoke

On 8/17/2022 at 12:07 AM, Kane99 said:

Of course. I'm kinda introverted when it comes to most things. I'm more shy than anything, but I found that with my online work, I've become more comfortable talking with people online. I am always in a Discord party for work related things. One of my co-workers is always in there, so we hang out and chat while we work. And we also game at night and sometimes watch movies. It helps a lot to socialize with people in that way. 

But yeah, it's easier said than done. Most of the time I hate online lobbies, so I don't speak often. But when I'm forced to, that's when I realize it helps me more. Kinda like how they do exposure therapy, where you do the things you're scared of. Well playing on public lobbies with a mic while you have social anxiety, would kinda count in that regard. 

Yeah, the online space helps them to work on their communication skills very well because it's something that they can't do well in person face to face. My friend's sister got her husband from Facebook link up through a game. It's something that hardly happens but it did for her. 

On 8/18/2022 at 3:55 AM, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

They can develop skills in some areas, but diminish skills in other areas. It may also depend on whether or not a game is, or has the ability, to connect to the internet because very nasty advanced hackers can take the game that someone is playing and potentially make it an un-authentic experience. This is partially a legal theory that I am working on, but it's also essentially proven to an extent, that the authentic version of a game can be vastly different from the game if it is changed or tampered with even if said change is tiny.

They actually go both ways and if a player has intentions of playing a particular skill gaining video like the one I had in mobile Called Dr driving that completely shows you how to drive a car from how to park perfect, get the perfect turn , reverse or overtaking other vehicles.

I did learn important driving skills from the Game.

Yes, I am someone who is in agreement that playing games helps develop skills. There are so many different ways in which gaming can help with skills. Co-ordination is one of them. I remember when I first started playing more games where I had to follow a mini map to get around places, I struggled at first but the more and more I got used to it, the more I learned how to follow those maps without running into issues so that was a new skill I learned. Also, communication skills. Gaming online especially can help with your social skills. I myself have social anxiety but I have found that the more I have spoken to people online the better I have got at it and it's really helped. 

14 hours ago, Shortie said:

Yes, I am someone who is in agreement that playing games helps develop skills. There are so many different ways in which gaming can help with skills. Co-ordination is one of them. I remember when I first started playing more games where I had to follow a mini map to get around places, I struggled at first but the more and more I got used to it, the more I learned how to follow those maps without running into issues so that was a new skill I learned. Also, communication skills. Gaming online especially can help with your social skills. I myself have social anxiety but I have found that the more I have spoken to people online the better I have got at it and it's really helped. 

Video games has certain Advantages and whichever way we see it's applications differs from person to person.

I actually learnt how to drive from a mobile game called Dr driving and when I enrolled for driving lessons I already knew all of the theoretical aspects of driving.

1 minute ago, egghead said:

I have read a couple of research papers where it was concluded that gaming helped accuracy in soldiers and surgeons.

That's interesting , I think I read about it as well and it was even part of the training where soldiers are put in a kind of virtual reality world or video game made specifically for that purpose where they are put in a hostile situation and asked to find a way out.

There was an experiment with soldiers who played games and who did not play games. Soldiers who played games had better accuracy and concentration in shooting. Likewise, the surgeons who played games on regular basis were better surgeons.

21 minutes ago, egghead said:

There was an experiment with soldiers who played games and who did not play games. Soldiers who played games had better accuracy and concentration in shooting. Likewise, the surgeons who played games on regular basis were better surgeons.

I didn't even know they already experimented on it though and it exciting to find that soldiers who play video games had Better accuracy.