Register Now
Nebulous

How old to start gaming?

Whenever their parents decide they can, it's none of my business. As a former child myself though I was playing video games at around the age of 3 or 4, playing a rather unhealthy amount of frustrating games from Super Star Wars to the Super Scope's unreliability (it was an early light gun, you can't expect much from it; well, at the time you could because it cost a fortune). I'd like to think that were I to introduce my hypothetical children to video games they'd be at an age where I can get them to play responsibly: a certain distance from the screen with a set amount of time, and looking after the systems they're playing on.

This is the fourth time I've had to ask this morning and I can only hope this helps with your further contributions to the forum @Nebulous, but what age do you think video games are acceptable to play, and why?

At times parents can't decide for you when they aren't aware of it. My parents didn't tell me when I needed to start playing video games. I did and myself and started at an early age around 4-5 years old. Since then, it's been me and video games, it is hard to skip a single day without playing games unless I'm too occupied. 

3 Years is kinda too young because it's doubtfull a child would even understand what is going on when they would play a videogame. Age 5-6 orso would probably be a more appropriate age, if it was my doing i would introduce gaming to kids with kinect, no controller, no bullshit to deal with, maybe a broken window or two who knows but seriously it has to be said kinect is perfect as a starter platform for kids who have no reading skills yet and no previous experience with gaming. I'm sure most kids would have a blast with some of the various kinect games avaible. Also maybe a table with some fairly simple mobile games. I'd probably hold off until they can play atleast something like crash bandicoot or spyro the dragon lol.

The moment the child can be able to understand what he or she is doing is a good time to start playing video games once they can be able to appreciate it. With that being said, I believe that from the age of 3 years upwards should be decent enough for any child to stop playing video games. I didn't start playing early enough because my parents were anti-gaming. 

Hmm, 3 years? Man, I don't think that's possible for anyone to start playing games as a child. A three year old is just starting life, wouldn't know how to play, I can accept for four years and above, because at that age, you can talk very well and understand few things around gaming and other forms of entertainment. 

I think I was 6 or 7 years old when I got I Started gaming , earlier than that my bro would just let me hold the controller but never really let me play because I wouldn't be able to make a proper move.

At the of 6 I was already pretty much familiar with it and could play without assistance.

Games for all ages and for the kids 😉 Nowdays it's from age of 5 years old and up 🙂 Depends on the family and whatnot. I did not get into gaming PCs or any type of contect games till I was 10 years old 🙂 

10 hours ago, Empire said:

Games for all ages and for the kids 😉 Nowdays it's from age of 5 years old and up 🙂 Depends on the family and whatnot. I did not get into gaming PCs or any type of contect games till I was 10 years old 🙂 

Some kids grow and develop too fast more than they should. I have seen kids at 2 years that have understood the concept of video games and they play it. 

I was playing handheld games at age 6 or 7.  I'd say the first game a kid should have is the modern equivalent to a handheld game.  If they can deal with the handheld game properly, like not break it, I would possibly see about getting my child a console if I had a child.

3 hours ago, Family sedan said:

I was playing handheld games at age 6 or 7.  I'd say the first game a kid should have is the modern equivalent to a handheld game.  If they can deal with the handheld game properly, like not break it, I would possibly see about getting my child a console if I had a child.

Same as me, I started with handheld games long before I play with a console and controller and I was about 6 when I was gifted my first Gameboy.

If any of my kids loves gaming as much as I would get them a console or maybe a Nintendo switch for a start since the games on the platform are usually kids friendly and then we could move on to other platforms as they grow older.

10 hours ago, Gonassis said:

... kids younger than 5 years old have access to the vast toxic online internet world. 🤨😐

Even kids that are 5 years and above shouldn't be allowed to have access to such so much hate and toxic communities when it comes to video games. It's definitely a gonna ruin a big thing in them growing up. 

Parental guidance is very important for kids when it comes to choosing their games.