Register Now
Nebulous

How old to start gaming?

Depends on the game and how old the kid is. Personally I was gaming as young as 3 years old myself. My nephew for example was playing around that age, but more closely to age 5 or so. Once he knew the point of a video game, he was playing without problem. 

I never let my nephew play games online, as I know he wouldn't have been able to handle it. So I just let him play stuff from gamepass. He's 12 now anyway, so he's capable of gaming on his own. But I'd say 5-6 is a good age to get started on gaming. But I know some kids start earlier with their parents letting them play mobile games for example. 

On 8/14/2022 at 10:58 PM, Heatman said:

Some kids grow and develop too fast more than they should. I have seen kids at 2 years that have understood the concept of video games and they play it. 

Unless it's a good learning game like a coding to maths games then that fine, I was 12 when I was doing keyboard typing speeds games

I'd say that it depends on the game, and the content (including online aspects or not). Some games can be played pretty young if you disable online content, or others have it to where you can't really do anything outside of text chat which you can hide away for kids.

10 hours ago, Empire said:

Unless it's a good learning game like a coding to maths games then that fine, I was 12 when I was doing keyboard typing speeds games

Yeah, that's something which I agree with completely. Such games are there to help sharpen the kids skills when he or she is very young and that's going to make the kid to stand out distinctly from his or her peers. 

I wouldn't mind getting my dad into video games. He's going to be 69 or 70 this September. He has played some video games, like Gran Turismo on a demo disc back in the day, but that's pretty much it. I think he'd enjoy playing racing games, especially if it's one with a racing wheel. 

With that being said, I don't think there's an age that's best to start. Anyone can play video games if they tried. Including my dad if he actually tried. I think he'd have fun, but he's stubborn and hates trying new tech. He thinks he'll get addicted to it lol. 

5 hours ago, Mr.SaVo said:

atleast 18+ 😉

I find that's far too old to begin someone to allow gaming (and even then, as with anything else, people will find ways to experience it before then), but I find your opinion interesting. What makes you say that, or am I missing a joke here?

PS: As it's my first time seeing you here, welcome to VGR!

Edited by Withywarlock

21 hours ago, Mr.SaVo said:

atleast 18+ 😉

Good grief!!

This is more like mapping out getting into playing video games as a teenager close to getting into adult stage. 

Well, that's definitely too far out stretched in my opinion but that's your take on it anyways.

Let me guess, you actually started playing games at 18+ years? 

On 8/17/2022 at 12:33 AM, Kane99 said:

I wouldn't mind getting my dad into video games. He's going to be 69 or 70 this September. He has played some video games, like Gran Turismo on a demo disc back in the day, but that's pretty much it. I think he'd enjoy playing racing games, especially if it's one with a racing wheel. 

With that being said, I don't think there's an age that's best to start. Anyone can play video games if they tried. Including my dad if he actually tried. I think he'd have fun, but he's stubborn and hates trying new tech. He thinks he'll get addicted to it lol. 

My dad sees video game as children's thing, he doesn't near the controller, i loves watching me and my siblings playing PES back in the days. I usually ask him to play he doesn't get in at all, that interest wouldn't show up anytime soon around gaming for my dad. 

On 8/15/2022 at 9:17 PM, Heatman said:

Even kids that are 5 years and above shouldn't be allowed to have access to such so much hate and toxic communities when it comes to video games. It's definitely a gonna ruin a big thing in them growing up. 

Parental guidance is very important for kids when it comes to choosing their games. 

yeah I agree with that very much. "educational" games also are a thing, but non "educational" is fine, as long as it's up to the parent's discreetion.

which reminds me of an internet cafe in my neighborhood when I was young, GTA san andreas was installed on those PCs and sometimes kids younger than 10 years old would be seen crowding around and playing that. 😅

On 8/20/2022 at 4:38 PM, Gonassis said:

yeah I agree with that very much. "educational" games also are a thing, but non "educational" is fine, as long as it's up to the parent's discreetion.

which reminds me of an internet cafe in my neighborhood when I was young, GTA san andreas was installed on those PCs and sometimes kids younger than 10 years old would be seen crowding around and playing that. 😅

Once a parent who's reasonably sane enough picks out none educational games for their kids, they would definitely pick something that's going to be fun for the kid to play and at the same time capable of holding up with the kid's innocence. 

4 hours ago, runswithspatulas said:

i'm not a parent but i think every child deserves to be a kid and play outside with friends before they become video game junkies. problem is there aren't many if any other kids outside playing.

That's why I didn't encourage home schooling for my nephew , he was already deep into video games and keeping him at home to school would only make him further addicted, so it is best he goes to school with other kids so he can make friends too.