Register Now
Knight Plug

Alone in the Dark

Finally. The granddaddy of survival horror games, is getting a glorious remake. 

I've been a fan of the series since I played The New Nightmare and Jack is Back. None of the other PC games got released on the PlayStation, which I felt was strange at the time, giving the original game's popularity. These games were very atmospheric, as they had fixed camera angles and things could jump through windows, or suddenly walk through a door. You would have to discard things like oil cans manually to free up space, as they would be used up, and still appear in your list of items. 

As with the original, you can play as either Edward Carnby or Emily Heartwood, as they go to investigate a haunted mansion. There will be exploration, puzzles, and item management. All of that good stuff. So definitely looking forward to the teaser coming the week after next week, where you play as "Grace" [Saunders] from the second game in a prelude. 

Edited by Candy Stick

2 minutes ago, Candy Stick said:

Finally. The granddaddy of survival horror games, is getting a glorious remake. 

I've been a fan of the series since I played The New Nightmare and Jack is Back. None of the other PC games got released on the PlayStation, which I felt was strange at the time, giving the original game's popularity. These games were very atmospheric, as they had fixed camera angles and things could jump through windows, or suddenly walk through a door. You would have to discard things like oil fans manually to free up space, as they would be used up, and still appear in your list of items. 

As with the original, you can play as either Edward Carnby or Emily Heartwood, as they go to investigate a haunted mansion. There will be exploration, puzzles, and item management. All of that good stuff. So definitely looking forward to the teaser coming next week, where you play as "Grace" [Saunders] from the second game in a prelude. 

I actually only Played the first release  of Alone in the dark and I didn't get to play other names off the series.

A remake gives room to explore other possibilities of the Game and I am seriously intrigued by what other features that could be put into this game.

Survival horror is my forte so I am definitely looking forward to this particular game.

18 hours ago, Empire said:

Not gonna lie this does not look good at all and the fact resident evil 4, 5 and 6 are listed as influences does not give me high hopes either

Well, I feel this game has a lot of potentials though.

You mentioned that since resident evil was mentioned as it influence you don't have high hopes about the game, can you give a reason for the hesitation and why you think that has a hand in determining how good of a game  Alone in the dark would be to you?

51 minutes ago, Clasher said:

Well, I feel this game has a lot of potentials though.

I ask this of anyone who says something has potential, just so you know I'm not picking on you, but what potential does it have? Without further elaboration it falls under the term I coined, Roberts' Razor: a game can only be reviewed on what it is, not what it could be based on its 'potential'. In fairness, the game isn't out yet but the principle remains.

As @Empire states, and in answer to your second sentence, it's based on the Resident Evil renaissance that started with 4 (which the REmakes are based on), and sort of went downhill with 5 & 6 (as Resident Evil games have done before). It appears as though the developers have chosen to take two of the bad Resident Evil games in what I call the second mainline series (the first being 1, 2 and Nemesis, and the third series being 7, Village, and the inevitable 9th numbered game). I say there's three different series, not counting the spin-offs, because as an outsider looking in they don't really have all that much in common beyond Jill Valentine or Chris Redfield being playable or making a cameo.

If they'd only said it was inspired by Resident Evil 4 and hadn't mentioned the less popular 5 & 6, I don't think I'd bat an eyelid. However, I am confident in the SOMA writers' ability to offer a game oozing with atmosphere despite their unpopular taste in influences.

I saw the trailer the other day and I gotta say it looks good. The graphics look top notch, with the voice acting really shining I think. I never played any of the original games, but I have seen some lets plays of the older games, especially the one that dropped on the 360 years ago. 

Sadly I suck when it comes to horror games. I don't know what it is, because I don't scare easily. I don't think it's about the scare factor, but more to do with how these games control. I remember not getting into Evil Within because it felt too slow in terms of how your character moves. And I have a feeling this game may be slow with the character movements and all that. 

I'm a very big on survival horror video games. I started out playing the first release on the Alone in the Dark game series. Even the movie which I think came out in 2005, I never missed out on it. 

If and when this new release comes out, I'm most likely going to get it as well. 

2 minutes ago, Candy Stick said:

I'm retired from talking about RE now, but I think this game will outshine those games anyway.

Looks like ThQ Nordic really cares about bringing back survival horror to how it was years ago. 

There's been a lot speculations on the game. Are they ready to make a move on it and not just talks and rumours? We would likely soon find. 

Personally, I'd like to see it happen because it's been a long time coming. 

No. I meant that I no longer want to discuss RE, as people on other forums were being stupid, and I just decided it was virtually pointless to convince them about what Capcom is like. Whenever I tried to go into depth about it, they were implying I was a fruitcake, or something. Evidence went ignored. And you can be sure I provided more than enough of that. So I finally came to my senses. 

After so many years of posting the same things online, I finally decided to stop fighting the good fight, and accept that Capcom has too many people fooled.

Meanwhile, I can still appreciate other horror games, such as this one. 

5 minutes ago, Candy Stick said:

No. I meant that I no longer want to discuss RE, as people on other forums were being stupid, and I just decided it was virtually pointless to convince them about what Capcom is like. Whenever I tried to go into depth about it, they were implying I was a fruitcake, or something. Evidence went ignored. And you can be sure I provided more than enough of that. So I finally came to my senses. 

After so many years of posting the same things online, I finally decided to stop fighting the good fight, and accept that Capcom has too many people fooled.

Meanwhile, I can still appreciate other horror games, such as this one. 

The simple truth is that people will always believe what they want to believe and there is nothing you can do that is going to make them have their mind changed. The best thing you can do for yourself is to try as much as possible to focus on what really makes sense for you and ignore every other noise that comes with it. It is not only Capcom that have their fans fooled and blinded, I believe EA also have been perfect on that note with their fans. 

It's not that I'm being a pussy and running away from them. In general, though. You have to say to yourself, "They're not interested in hearing this. Why continue?" 

Sometimes it felt good to lay out the truth. Then they just spout more crap about how it's not true, and this is just my opinions. But of course, if you provide evidence to the contrary and they're still not convinced despite what you just provided in front of their faces, they're just not going to listen to logic, no matter what you say.

They even say smart alleck things like, "Alone in the Dark inspired RE, so Capcom copied that long before the recent games you mentioned!" 

Yeah. As if that's any excuse to blatantly copy all the games I told them they obviously had copied (with proof offered). You know? They seem to like to have an answer for every counter-productive post you leave. So that's why it's pointless to tell them what they will ignorantly continue to overlook. It's like you're standing there shouting at a brick wall, to be honest. Petulant school children.

8 hours ago, Candy Stick said:

It's not that I'm being a pussy and running away from them. In general, though. You have to say to yourself, "They're not interested in hearing this. Why continue?" 

Sometimes it felt good to lay out the truth. Then they just spout more crap about how it's not true, and this is just my opinions. But of course, if you provide evidence to the contrary and they're still not convinced despite what you just provided in front of their faces, they're just not going to listen to logic, no matter what you say.

They even say smart alleck things like, "Alone in the Dark inspired RE, so Capcom copied that long before the recent games you mentioned!" 

Yeah. As if that's any excuse to blatantly copy all the games I told them they obviously had copied (with proof offered). You know? They seem to like to have an answer for every counter-productive post you leave. So that's why it's pointless to tell them what they will ignorantly continue to overlook. It's like you're standing there shouting at a brick wall, to be honest. Petulant school children.

I think that you have had one experience where the forum owner had to ban your account on the forum for something similar when you laid out cold hard facts for them to assimilate. 

In most cases, they are just delusional and there's nothing that you can say that's going to change their perception. Just say it anyways if you felt you need to let it out and be on your merry way.