Register Now
NightmareFarm

Favourite and least favourite genre?

My favourite is casual racing games. Kart racers and the like. There's something satisfying about breezily making my way through oftentimes creative track designs, especially the assets lining them if you're playing as a toy car or whatever. Plus they're not restricted to the rules and formalities of more serious racing games with branding, getting the vehicles perfect, and the controls to boot. Rather they can feature powerups of various effects, different terrain like winding paths or great leaps or even hazards such as fire-breathing statues or bottomless pits. The final thing I'd say is that because they're mostly made for children they're oftentimes easy to pick up and feature some really catchy beats. I've find guilty pleasure for the music of Toybox Turbos! Despite two platform games ranking as my favourite games of all time, it's this genre that's at the top.

My least favourite genre would be sports games. Nothing against them personally, I just don't like sport. I'm not bothered about the rehashing and I don't know enough about the additional monetisation to criticise it, but it would probably annoy me if it was to be the game that was supposed to last me the entire year.

51 minutes ago, NightmareFarm said:

Favourite - Hack n Slash. 2D fighting games are close though.

You'll have to forgive me, I'm not overly familiar with what Hack 'n' Slash means. Is that like arcade games like Altered Beast and Gauntlet, or Diablo (which I know to be an ARPG, or a hack-n-slash informally)? Do you have any particular favourite games in the genre?

53 minutes ago, NightmareFarm said:

Least Favourite - Interactive Film(like Beyond Two Souls).

I'm with you there. Whereas early cinema tried to mimic theatrical performances before finding its own thing, a lot of video games try to be more like films even if it's at the cost of what video games do well. People like David Cage seem to have an attitude toward gaming of cutting their nose to spite their face: they'll break and twist the medium to suit their vision, even though it would probably work better as a film.

Granted I do like the camp factor of Fahrenheit: Indego Prophecy, and I wouldn't have come across it if it weren't a game, but I can't help but wonder how much better it would be if they didn't beat around the bush and just make a movie.

16 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

My favourite is casual racing games. Kart racers and the like. There's something satisfying about breezily making my way through oftentimes creative track designs, especially the assets lining them if you're playing as a toy car or whatever. Plus they're not restricted to the rules and formalities of more serious racing games with branding, getting the vehicles perfect, and the controls to boot. Rather they can feature powerups of various effects, different terrain like winding paths or great leaps or even hazards such as fire-breathing statues or bottomless pits. The final thing I'd say is that because they're mostly made for children they're oftentimes easy to pick up and feature some really catchy beats. I've find guilty pleasure for the music of Toybox Turbos! Despite two platform games ranking as my favourite games of all time, it's this genre that's at the top.

My least favourite genre would be sports games. Nothing against them personally, I just don't like sport. I'm not bothered about the rehashing and I don't know enough about the additional monetisation to criticise it, but it would probably annoy me if it was to be the game that was supposed to last me the entire year.

You'll have to forgive me, I'm not overly familiar with what Hack 'n' Slash means. Is that like arcade games like Altered Beast and Gauntlet, or Diablo (which I know to be an ARPG, or a hack-n-slash informally)? Do you have any particular favourite games in the genre?

I'm with you there. Whereas early cinema tried to mimic theatrical performances before finding its own thing, a lot of video games try to be more like films even if it's at the cost of what video games do well. People like David Cage seem to have an attitude toward gaming of cutting their nose to spite their face: they'll break and twist the medium to suit their vision, even though it would probably work better as a film.

Granted I do like the camp factor of Fahrenheit: Indego Prophecy, and I wouldn't have come across it if it weren't a game, but I can't help but wonder how much better it would be if they didn't beat around the bush and just make a movie.

Cool. I've always planned on getting into more kart races besides the mario kart series but never got around to it. It can be quite fun especially with friends.

I have rarely touched sports game. I remember having a demo of this WWE game on the PS3 though. 

Hack n Slash games are 3D action games like Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, etc where you fight hordes of enemies with weapons. It's basically the same thing as a beat em up but a few things set it apart from beat em ups like combo lists, weapons being the norm rather than fists, deeper combat systems and more stylish moves/abilities. Unlike ARPGs there is more of a focus on deep melee combat with combo lists and some sort of meter which ranks how efficiently you dispatch enemies instead of deep customisation systems and XP. 

My favourite in the genre would have to be Bayonetta 2 but Devil May Cry 3, 5 and Metal Gear Rising are very close.

>I'm with you there. Whereas early cinema tried to mimic theatrical performances before finding its own thing, a lot of video games try to be more like films even if it's at the cost of what video games do well. People like David Cage seem to have an attitude toward gaming of cutting their nose to spite their face: they'll break and twist the medium to suit their vision, even though it would probably work better as a film.

Exactly, games are meant to be games and movies are meant to be movies.

Edited by NightmareFarm

1 hour ago, NightmareFarm said:

Cool. I've always planned on getting into more kart races besides the mario kart series but never got around to it. It can be quite fun especially with friends.

There's not many that I know of on consoles, but I strongly recommend Tabletop Racing: World Tour, Meow Motors, Coffin Dodgers, All-Star Fruit Racing, and even Garfield Kart: Furious Racing (the original had some technical issues). I don't play the online multiplayer of such games, let alone the local multiplayer, but there are some terrific games out there for single-player at least.

Mario Kart's always good, even MK Tour on mobile's a decent game despite its mobile controls and more limited/cycled content.

1 hour ago, NightmareFarm said:

Hack n Slash games are 3D action games like Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, etc where you fight hordes of enemies with weapons. It's basically the same thing as a beat em up but a few things set it apart from beat em ups like combo lists, weapons being the norm rather than fists, deeper combat systems and more stylish moves/abilities. Unlike ARPGs there is more of a focus on deep melee combat with combo lists and some sort of meter which ranks how efficiently you dispatch enemies instead of deep customisation systems and XP. 

My favourite in the genre would have to be Bayonetta 2 but Devil May Cry 3, 5 and Metal Gear Rising are very close.

Thanks for the clarification, I can't believe none of those games came to mind. Your choices are good: I've heard nothing but good things about Metal Gear Rising, which may be the first hack-n-slash I play!

45 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

There's not many that I know of on consoles, but I strongly recommend Tabletop Racing: World Tour, Meow Motors, Coffin Dodgers, All-Star Fruit Racing, and even Garfield Kart: Furious Racing (the original had some technical issues). I don't play the online multiplayer of such games, let alone the local multiplayer, but there are some terrific games out there for single-player at least.

Mario Kart's always good, even MK Tour on mobile's a decent game despite its mobile controls and more limited/cycled content.

Thanks for the clarification, I can't believe none of those games came to mind. Your choices are good: I've heard nothing but good things about Metal Gear Rising, which may be the first hack-n-slash I play!

Go for it, being able to slice enemies into literally 100s of pieces feels amazing.

Favorite I'd say is probably action adventure, so games like GTA, RDR, etc. As for least favorite, I don't get into most puzzle games or racing games. Though I will play some racing games and some puzzle games, I tend to get bored with most puzzle games. Also most sports games, but there are some sports games I will play. 

Favourite videogame genre : God this is a hard one because i love all kinds of games. If i had to pick one genre it's probably going to be a good open world game where the player can get lost in for hours on end, doesen't matter if it's an action game or turn based jrpg. 

Least Favourite genre : don't know if it's a genre by itself but let's say competitive multiplayer games  for the fact i don't play games online and if i would i don't have the time or lack the motivation to become good at just one game.

Favourite video game type genre has to be Simulator more now then I was before in to Roleplaying and regards my not so least is sports games ;0 I also do like open-games as they are cool and can be done as a single-player or with other people

4 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Any genre that isn't on my list should go into my dislike list. And I found the following so weird to play; 

-Casual game 

- Puzzle

- Platformer

- Strategy

I agree. I dislike all of those genres besides strategy. Especially platformers they feel like they were designed with kids in mind with the simplistic controls and mechanics. Few exceptions though like megaman.

2 hours ago, NightmareFarm said:

I agree. I dislike all of those genres besides strategy. Especially platformers they feel like they were designed with kids in mind with the simplistic controls and mechanics. Few exceptions though like megaman.

That's just it man, I wouldn't play games that doesn't tickle my interest. Strategy, platformers and the rest in the list are just nightmares in my life when video games is concerned. So boring, my nephew's kind of brand, I don't see anything Inspiring there. 

Yeah, platformers are a big-turn off for me, but only because I suck at them. lol Their worlds look colorful and fun, but their gameplay mechanic is so annoying and requires good hand-eye coordination.

Other genres that I dislike include:

• RTS
  • FPS
  • 4x games
  • Roguelike
  • Puzzles

Basically anything that requires me to strategize and use more braincells than I usually do normally. I play games to relax and have fun, and unfortunately, I don't find challenging games relaxing or fun.

First-Person Shooters can be appealing for me if it's not a generic military shooter, which most FPS are. Doom (2016), for example, was quite fun... until I got tired of dying repetitively and gave up midway. BioShock is another fun one that had an interesting and unique setting that wasn't just "soldier fighting war/enemies."

My favorite genre is adventure, as in story-focused games like Telltale games or Quantic Dream games, especially Detroit: Become Human. RPGs can sometimes be my second favorite genre, as long as it's not some medieval fantasy, which most RPGs are, unfortunately. ARPGs are more my style, like The Outer Worlds and the Mass Effect trilogy.