Register Now
Yaramaki

Question about hunting games and wheter are not to play them?

The past couple of day i'm busy reshuffeling my game room, you know as a collector you are constantly moving things back and fourth sometimes with moderate succes. Since i'm busy putting my xbox one collection in order, i noticed damn i've got a lot of hunting games they always look interesting to me and were probably cheap enough at some point for me to pick up at some point.

Now here come the ancient question has anybody played any hunting games and are they any good? here is what i have on xbox one below, pretty sure i've got older cabela titles aswell but you know, are any of these 7 games worth wasting time on or should i keep them sealed? :

N7GIIGN.jpg

Edited by Yaramaki

I think the last hunting game I played was Duck Hunt on the NES, at Sheffield's National Gaming Museum. I was quite adept at it if I may say so myself, and with rather old tech no less. Goes to show how well the curators have been looking after the exhibits.

Before that though I'd only really played theHunter: Call of the Wild. A decent enough game that seems authentic, but it requires a lot of time and patience that I don't have, especially chasing after an animal I was only able to wound.

In terms of keeping them sealed I doubt they're that rare or collectable, so you might as well give them a try. None of them have had such rave reviews that you need to break the seal to find out for yourself before anyone else here gives their own insights, however.

When I was a kid I was an avid hunter, and I've played several hunting games. Cabela makes good games, and they're usually pretty realistic. Their first ever game was on PC, and it had CGI and sometimes even actual footage for you to shoot when the animal was found. I haven't played any hunting games like that in decades. Now considering how much technology has advanced since then, I would bet the games are much more interactive. But if you're not an actual hunter, I wouldn't see any reason to open them. You could always bundle them and sell them on Craigslist. You could probably get a pretty penny for them.

Yes I have played "TheHunter Call Of THe Wild" out of the list that's a very good game to get into more then the others and I do have over 100 hours in that game. I mostly play with people as it can be very boring doing it yourself for hours. I hence it up and we call it The Walking SIm! as we always walk and walk in that game for hours and might get no kills or 10 kills.

Talking about hunting.

Seeing the hunting 2 simulator in that picture reminded me of the one time I did play the hunting 2 simulator at a friend's place.

I like shooting games a lot and this is just one of those games where stealth and focus would determine if you are going to get any kill during the play. It gives you more like a realistic experience of been in a jungle and using a riffle to hunt down specific preys.

I did play the game for a couple of minutes before we both switched to FIFA which is what we usually play when I'm around.

On 8/16/2022 at 3:26 PM, Withywarlock said:

In terms of keeping them sealed I doubt they're that rare or collectable, so you might as well give them a try. None of them have had such rave reviews that you need to break the seal to find out for yourself before anyone else here gives their own insights, however.

17 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Now considering how much technology has advanced since then, I would bet the games are much more interactive. But if you're not an actual hunter, I wouldn't see any reason to open them. You could always bundle them and sell them on Craigslist. You could probably get a pretty penny for them.

Hunting over here isn't really the same as in America, people who hunt here are usually the upper rich class who have there own private hunting territority don't know how it's in the rest of europe but my guess is other europeans here can relate to that hunting is a rich persons hobby.

The only reason i can think of is why i keep getting these hunting games is for the exploration of the map. Hiking is my second passion besides video games and collecting and i feel like walking trough these maps would give me a sense of what an American or Australian national park looks like for example. Pretty much the same @Empire said above as i too wouldn't mind just exploring the map without the hunting.

Makes me wonder does anybody remember the game Africa on ps3 where you have to photgraph animals? They should make something like this but with a national park setting instead.

Hunting here requires 4 things: a hunters safety course, a gun, a license/tag, and land to be on. I got my first and only deer when I was 16. I used an open sight 30-30. I used to go bird hunting all the time. I would get our hunting dog, and go out hunting quail. I've hunted a hell of a lot of different game. Deer, turkey, quail, rabbit, squirrel, raccoon, and pheasant, just to name a few.

That said, hiking was always my passion above all things. It's why I would disappear into the woods for a month every summer. I can't do that now, unfortunately, but I always loved being out in nature. All I took was a hatchet, survival knife, and my .410 shotgun. I built my own shelter, fire, and ways to cook. It was absolute bliss.

Last hunting game I ever played was on the 360, but I don't recall what it was. I couldn't get into it, then again it wasn't a good game compared to the other hunting games I played. Cabela is often known for making decent hunting games. At with the ones they did for the PS2 back in the day. I haven't played much of any hunting games since, as I never really got too into the genre. 

On 8/17/2022 at 5:30 PM, Yaramaki said:

The only reason i can think of is why i keep getting these hunting games is for the exploration of the map. Hiking is my second passion besides video games and collecting and i feel like walking trough these maps would give me a sense of what an American or Australian national park looks like for example. Pretty much the same @Empire said above as i too wouldn't mind just exploring the map without the hunting.

Most cases you end up not killing anything, I can walk for hours and not get nothing. With TheHunter I end up walking to differnt parts of the map opening it up and unlocking it 🙂 

On 8/17/2022 at 5:30 PM, Yaramaki said:

Makes me wonder does anybody remember the game Africa on ps3 where you have to photgraph animals? They should make something like this but with a national park setting instead.

In the past when I was more interested in learning about a video games , it mechanics , plot and durability than actually playing them, I often take about two or three games and make some research about them.

I could remember coming across this video game and its name caught my attention and decided to learn about it. 

Honestly the game can be boring to those who are in the need of more action but if you love nature and outdoor activities and you want to experience it via a video game then Afrika is a suitable option though not the best.

I like the idea and I would like a Simulator made with this same idea to make the experience somewhat realistic and maybe played on VR.

Have you considered trying those arcade hunting games? Like the ones where you can buy a gun? I know they have arcade machines for like cabelas or something, and I remember playing one in a bar years ago. But I know they also released a standalone TV one years ago, where you connect your gun to your TV and you can play. I think it only works with CRT TVs though, as they're pretty dated now. As well, I don't know if they're any good or not. 

9 hours ago, Empire said:

Most cases you end up not killing anything, I can walk for hours and not get nothing. With TheHunter I end up walking to differnt parts of the map opening it up and unlocking it 🙂 

It's part of exploration that comes with hunting. I actually find that very relaxing in a way even when I end up not being able to have any kill. 

There's always a next try which might end up with great kills. 

for me, the recent deer hunter games and similar of the genre fit in the category of simulators.

and from watching videos and gameplay reviews, as a simulator, I'd say they're getting better at feeding me info of "real" life scenarios of hunting.

I'd say just off the top of my head the realism inside these recent hunter genre games are somewhere between 60-75% in my opinion.

If I'd play these kinds of games, I'd say if I met an actual hunter, this could be a conversation starter piece, although I'd say a disclaimer first of how I'd learned stuff from a game, and I'm a IRL noob when it comes to the real stuff. 😉😅