Register Now
Empire Of Sight

Spyro the Dragon

Haven't thought about this game title in years but after replying to a fest post it popped into my head xD

Did anyone ever get addicted to this game back on the PS1? I remember spending countless days playing this over and over again, just the skateboard, the fairy and riding around with that awesome music kept my little undeveloped brain attached to the screen.

Probably one of my favorite games of all time do to its humble nature.

If you have any games that gave you a similar feeling please do share.

image.thumb.png.a11ff5cfa8b91efc4d96fd0047acaf26.png

EOS

Edited by Empire Of Sight

1 hour ago, Techno said:

I've played the remastered game on Reignited Trilogy. It's personally not my favorite but it's still a great deal of fun.

Would agree not the best of its era , Crash was one of my favorites as well, and I didnt know they remastered it 😮 I'll have to check it out

Any games you remember from back then that you enjoyed?

56 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

The only Spyro game I played all the way through was Enter the Dragonfly, it was fun, I mean I remember it had some cool areas but there was also some that were unfairly difficult

Haha I agree, there were some points in the game where it was almost impossible to get all the points or hop offer specific obstacles >.< 

Omg it just made me remember those old snowboard/biking extreme sports games where you could do like 20 backflips xD

Yep it was the one from ESPN where you could rollerblade, snowboard, bike etc. Ahhh good memories those games were as well.

Almost forgot about Gallop Racer! The horse game where you could bread and your horses aged after every season.. Oh wow that game was ahead of its time honestly.

3 hours ago, Empire Of Sight said:

Did anyone ever get addicted to this game back on the PS1? I remember spending countless days playing this over and over again, just the skateboard, the fairy and riding around with that awesome music kept my little undeveloped brain attached to the screen.

The skateboard would've been in the third game, Year of the Dragon, but yes I remember that same love for it.

I rate the games as thus: the first is the most replayable; the second is the best for refining the existing formula; the third is the most innovative, but I find one of the least replayable games because of its use of cutscenes, alternate characters, greater emphasis on minigames and greater difficulty. The first one, as you go on to say, is the one I play the most for its humble nature. It lets you go through the levels seamlessly and wastes no time.

When I was waiting on my PC to be repaired, this was the game I played on the console itself rather than an emulator. Over, and over, and over. Got to 100% completion (sometimes completing the bonus level at the end), deleted my save and started over again. I'd probably completed it about 15-20 times before and after work whilst waiting for my PC to come home.

3 hours ago, kingpotato said:

The only Spyro game I played all the way through was Enter the Dragonfly, it was fun, I mean I remember it had some cool areas but there was also some that were unfairly difficult

Indeed. I recently did a Let's Play of the game wherein my main criticisms were the maps were too large and full of nothing, meaning you'd spend an extra 20-30 minutes trying to find any remaining dragon treasure/dragonflies, the enemy reaction times were stepped up (which is fine, given they've always been slow in previous games), and some of the minigames were flat out broken. I had to switch from the PS2 version to the GameCube version simply because a slide level didn't work and thus I couldn't get 100% completion. For anyone who would like to get into it, the GameCube version isn't as pretty but it's considerably less buggy (at least the GameCube version on the Dolphin emulator).

2 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

The skateboard would've been in the third game, Year of the Dragon, but yes I remember that same love for it.

I rate the games as thus: the first is the most replayable; the second is the best for refining the existing formula; the third is the most innovative, but I find one of the least replayable games because of its use of cutscenes, alternate characters, greater emphasis on minigames and greater difficulty. The first one, as you go on to say, is the one I play the most for its humble nature. It lets you go through the levels seamlessly and wastes no time.

When I was waiting on my PC to be repaired, this was the game I played on the console itself rather than an emulator. Over, and over, and over. Got to 100% completion (sometimes completing the bonus level at the end), deleted my save and started over again. I'd probably completed it about 15-20 times before and after work whilst waiting for my PC to come home.

Indeed. I recently did a Let's Play of the game wherein my main criticisms were the maps were too large and full of nothing, meaning you'd spend an extra 20-30 minutes trying to find any remaining dragon treasure/dragonflies, the enemy reaction times were stepped up (which is fine, given they've always been slow in previous games), and some of the minigames were flat out broken. I had to switch from the PS2 version to the GameCube version simply because a slide level didn't work and thus I couldn't get 100% completion. For anyone who would like to get into it, the GameCube version isn't as pretty but it's considerably less buggy (at least the GameCube version on the Dolphin emulator).

Thanks for clarifying which game the skateboard was in it'll help me find the one I want to play haha. Actually I do remember the cutscenes , now that you mention it I remember always having to watch the fairy.

I'll check out your thread as well! I'm actually surprised people remember the game / went to replay it as many of my friends growing up didnt want to touch the game at all xD

How safe is it to use an emulator anyway? Haven't really ever touched one before.

EOS

14 minutes ago, Empire Of Sight said:

How safe is it to use an emulator anyway? Haven't really ever touched one before.

I'm not prepared to say with finality that "it's fine" because it would really depend on your local laws and how well they're enforced, not to mention the minefield that copyright legislation is. Even in the UK where we have some of the more clear-cut rulings on emulation, it still requires a good read to understand.

In terms of malware coming from ROMs that depends mostly on the site you get it from, and how good your antivirus is. Just because I've had no issues doesn't mean others don't or can't. Your best bet is to play them on the games on their original systems. It's not the end of the world if you can't. ^^

13 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

I'm not prepared to say with finality that "it's fine" because it would really depend on your local laws and how well they're enforced, not to mention the minefield that copyright legislation is. Even in the UK where we have some of the more clear-cut rulings on emulation, it still requires a good read to understand.

In terms of malware coming from ROMs that depends mostly on the site you get it from, and how good your antivirus is. Just because I've had no issues doesn't mean others don't or can't. Your best bet is to play them on the games on their original systems. It's not the end of the world if you can't. ^^

Absolutely loving your review right now, it's going to be something I can put on while I work to just listen to and have some nostalgia! Might not even need to replay it after watching / listening. You are actually really good at reviewing you go into details I wouldn't expect such as voice overs etc. 

Ah I wasn't even thinking about legal positions over emulators, I doubt that would be an issue where I'm located right now , but the viruses more or less. I'll just use an older laptop if I decide to give it a run! Thanks again for the replies brother and great series!

EOS

8 hours ago, Clasher said:

Thinking of this right now the only title that comes to my mind for the Spyro: the dragon series is Spyro: shadow legacy which I played in the early 2000's on the Nintendo DS.

It's was pretty fun for as much as I can remember.

I had no idea they made more past the original trilogy :ooo thats awesome to hear.

8 hours ago, Empire said:

Goofy graphic style don't seem to date even in this year, seriously thats fantastic. The levels are always a fun adventure that can't be miss. Insomniacs classic series went in a bang that left a nice footprint that can't be removed. I'm glad I played this.

I was always curious how someone came up with a dragonfly chasing dragon who had to save the kingdom xD Normally dragons were the villains in games/ movies back then.

1 hour ago, runswithspatulas said:

I have the Spyro trilogy on the Switch

Wait they have it on switch? I've had a switch for about a year and only used it a handful of times.. I think its time to go on a hunt.

38 minutes ago, Heatman said:

If ever had Playstation 1 back in the days and never played Spyro The Dragon games, it means that you never had friends who were into gaming a lot, so you probably played all alone with what you can come across. It was one of the most popular games back then in my neighbourhood. 

Well I did play alone most of the time and if I did play with friends it was normally on the 64 playing some 4 player games 😄

Would love to get my hands on a PS1 with some of the retro games though like the original GTA's, crash, and spyro.

EOS