Register Now
Empire Of Sight

Spyro the Dragon

On 8/21/2022 at 3:47 PM, Heatman said:

What's the worst release amongst the Spyro games that you have played so far? 

My pick would be between Spyro : A Hero's Tail and Spyro : Attack of the Rhynocs. 

I would've thought the same over a decade ago. I hated A Hero's Tail, but I came to love it because its technically competent, has a good sense of humour, knows its design philosophy and executes it well. It's not the Spyro game we're used to which made for a jarring experience ("so when do I get into a portal to a new level? What do you mean portals exist only for Sgt. Byrd? HE does the Speedways?!"), but it's still a good game at its core.

As for Attack of the Rhynocs (or Spyro: Adventure as it's called here, not to be confused with Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure), I didn't particularly like it but I can't say I hated it. I do however dislike Spyro: Season of Ice, the sequel to Season of Flame, because it was another isometric game that didn't do much to improve on the formula. Amazingly I still liked Spyro: Fusion on GBA. Well, liked it slightly more than Season of Ice, in as much as I like flushing my own head down the toilet once more than I would twice.

Nobody can blame you for picking those games.

My least favourite entries have to be the Legend of Spyro trilogy which rebooted the series. I'm not a fan of that PS2 platform game combat that everyone raved about, and the story was just too much. Its only real feat was hiring as many celebrities for voices as they did, and in terms of celebrity voices Tom Kenny (Spyro's voice in 2, 3, and Enter the Dragonfly) and Jess Harnell (voice actor of Crash Bandicoot, and main antagonist Red in A Hero's Tail) were the best the series have ever had, and only really needed.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

To be honest, I've never liked Spyro games - I just always felt like they lacked something...unique. Crash for instance is a very unique, entertaining, random and charismatic character - Spyro is just really bizarre.

I wouldn't say that I'm surprised to hear that you felt that way about Spyro games. I have at least 3 friends who are of the same opinion about the games. For the record, they never played any of the Spyro games because of them. These things are very common with some games. You like some and you hate some. 

I've only played the first one and maybe the second or third, the rest I haven't had any time with, though I expect they're fairly decent 3d platformers. I know Spyro was around in the PS2 and I think PS3 era as well, but I haven't really touched any of the newer games. Are they even worth checking out? Or should I stick to the original games? 

8 hours ago, killamch89 said:

To be honest, I've never liked Spyro games - I just always felt like they lacked something...unique. Crash for instance is a very unique, entertaining, random and charismatic character - Spyro is just really bizarre.

Tbh crash was such a good game as well, I think it comes down to the quick gameplay, it was an easy transition from the 64 ❤️

I enjoyed both games equally in their own ways though. 

9 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I've only played the first one and maybe the second or third, the rest I haven't had any time with, though I expect they're fairly decent 3d platformers. I know Spyro was around in the PS2 and I think PS3 era as well, but I haven't really touched any of the newer games. Are they even worth checking out? Or should I stick to the original games? 

They don't get any better after the first ones (not even the reignited trilogy does much to bring in people who thought differently about Spyro). If you can get Enter the Dragonfly on Gamecube (or the Dolphin emulator), that's a decent entry but stretches out the basics of Spyro beyond what it should be, and it's not even that long a game either.

A Hero's Tail is fine but it's not like the other Spyro games. I'd only recommend that if you want something similar but freshened up by a new gameplay philosophy.

If you really want a generic PS2 platform game The Legend of Spyro trilogy is a reboot with more story, celebrity voice acting, and the hallmark of PS2 platform games: crap combat.

Skylanders isn't really a Spyro game, it's more just an ARPG with lots of characters with mildly different moves, and they're not particularly challenging games either so it's not like you need tons of them. One of each element will suffice and they're as cheap as chips on the used market.

Those are the only games I recommend to someone who isn't fanatical for more Spyro. I hope that helps!

8 hours ago, Empire Of Sight said:

Tbh crash was such a good game as well, I think it comes down to the quick gameplay, it was an easy transition from the 64 ❤️

I enjoyed both games equally in their own ways though. 

At one point, I actually struggled with adapting to the game's quick gameplay because of how I have used to former mode. But the moment I got used to it, it became the only way that I would love to have it played. 

On 8/25/2022 at 4:09 AM, Empire Of Sight said:

I think year of the dragon was the only one I remembered by name xD, I know warlock had posted his youtube videos and I had played those as well but it being so long ago my poor brain deleted all the information XDDD

You can't blame the poor brain for forgetting 😂... There are far too many other things that are taking the space which leaves less room to keep tabs on things we did as kids 100%.

On 8/24/2022 at 8:56 PM, Kane99 said:

Yeah, going back in time to relive those games the first time, would be fun I bet. I wish I could go back to those days honestly and re-experience it all for the first time, like I never have before. 

I will see what I can find on ebay, if I'm lucky to get it, I'll be trying it out. 

I have noticed that for games like this from  Rayman 2: The Great Escape ,Sonic Adventure, psychonauts and the likes they don't get better after the first ones.

Other games off the Spyro the dragon series hasn't been as good the first Spyro game released on PS1 and it is Same for the earliest Sonic adventure and Rayman video games.

I remember playing this game back on PS1 and I had an absolute blast playing it. I got the remastered version of the game a few years ago, Spyro Reignited and as much as I have started it, I haven't had the time to fully play through it so that is a game I do need to go back to. I have heard many people saying that it doesn't give the same vibe and excitement as the first game and that they still enjoyed the game, so I am curious to see how the game feels for me when I play it more compared to when I played it on the PS1. 

On 11/6/2022 at 2:53 PM, Shortie said:

I remember playing this game back on PS1 and I had an absolute blast playing it. I got the remastered version of the game a few years ago, Spyro Reignited and as much as I have started it, I haven't had the time to fully play through it so that is a game I do need to go back to. I have heard many people saying that it doesn't give the same vibe and excitement as the first game and that they still enjoyed the game, so I am curious to see how the game feels for me when I play it more compared to when I played it on the PS1. 

The first Spyro the dragon game was good but Its a shame that they weren't able to recreate that sane experience and enjoyability sequels that came after it.

I got  the Spyro reignited but stopped playing after a few times.