Register Now
Kane99

Think they'll try to make another Game of Thrones game?

With the new Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon out recently on HBO and HBO Max, it got me thinking, when do you think they will make a new Game of Thrones video game? We had a telltale game, a game by Atlus I believe and I think there was a mobile game at some point. But other than that I don't think we've had any other games since. I think it'd be nice to see another try at a Game of Thrones game, but in the style of an action adventure much like their first try, but actually better. 

I know there's a possible game there, there's a lot of history they could go off of. Hell the show is a prequel, so a game could be one as well, or it could go into the future after what happens. But I hope it follows the books and not the show so much. 

There is so much lore and history here you could make atleast a couple of openworld games out of the Games of thrones ip and still have something new to tell everytime. The only problem is what company could afford the games of thrones ip, given it's one of the most populair tv shows of the past decade, one would assume securring the rights are going to expensive. 

I'd rather see a new season of the telltale series because the games of thrones one ended with a cliffhanger and more questions then answers imo. It will probably never happen tough but one can always hope.

Unlikely. HBO owns the rights, and isn't going to hand them out to anyone. They'll mine this IP dry telling new stories in the universe, but have no real incentive to rehash old content. The only chance I see of a proper reboot is if GRRM's licensing agreement with HBO expires at some point. In that case, his estate may license it out to a new content creator, who would then have an incentive to try and make lightning strike twice. But outside of that, I just don't see it happening.

On 8/23/2022 at 6:01 AM, Yaramaki said:

There is so much lore and history here you could make atleast a couple of openworld games out of the Games of thrones ip and still have something new to tell everytime. The only problem is what company could afford the games of thrones ip, given it's one of the most populair tv shows of the past decade, one would assume securring the rights are going to expensive. 

I'd rather see a new season of the telltale series because the games of thrones one ended with a cliffhanger and more questions then answers imo. It will probably never happen tough but one can always hope.

Honestly, I'd prefer the likes of an action adventure game. I thought the GoT game telltale did years ago was their worst game yet. I did enjoy it somewhat, but I felt like it was a waste of time to see these Forester characters that to my knowledge, were barely in GoT. I don't know if they were featured much in the books, but to me it didn't feel like GoT. 

Openworld imo, would work best for GoT. There was a game by Atlus that was kinda an action adventure game, but I hear it played horribly. 

10 hours ago, Empire said:

Unlikely. HBO owns the rights, and isn't going to hand them out to anyone. They'll mine this IP dry telling new stories in the universe, but have no real incentive to rehash old content. The only chance I see of a proper reboot is if GRRM's licensing agreement with HBO expires at some point. In that case, his estate may license it out to a new content creator, who would then have an incentive to try and make lightning strike twice. But outside of that, I just don't see it happening.

The thing is, they already did, twice. One game by Atlus and one from Telltale. The Atlus game was a flop and got poor reviews, while the telltale game faired a bit better. HBO likes money though, so if they own the license to make GoT content, they could easily do a new game. With the new show coming out now, we could see discussions of that come up. If HBO sees money, I'm sure they will do it. 

On 8/23/2022 at 5:01 AM, Yaramaki said:

It was only when I got into Game Of Thrones in the past 5 years did I realize how much lore it has and there's also a lot of plot points in the series that they could expand upon as well.

On 9/13/2022 at 3:22 PM, killamch89 said:

It was only when I got into Game Of Thrones in the past 5 years did I realize how much lore it has and there's also a lot of plot points in the series that they could expand upon as well.

There are also books out there that delve into the past of the book series, so there is a ton of lore and backstory to create unique games. 

2 hours ago, Syntax said:

I 100% could see this happening, but it really depends if they can add enough detail and character depth so it's not just a poor game experience like many movies to games become. 

Oh it'd have to have a ton of depth in many regards, including the characters and their stories. 

As long as the franchise remains popular, then yes, it'd make complete sense to give it another go. 

I imagine the folks at HBO will be well aware of this - and if they can make money by licensing the rights to game developers, then they will.

6 hours ago, Kyng said:

As long as the franchise remains popular, then yes, it'd make complete sense to give it another go. 

I imagine the folks at HBO will be well aware of this - and if they can make money by licensing the rights to game developers, then they will.

I don't think popularity is an issue for the Game of Thrones franchise. It's one of the biggest franchises out there today, and continues to gain popularity due to its current show. HBO knows they have money with GOT and could easily make more media around it if they wanted to. They already license the characters to other companies like Funko for the Funko pop figures, and other companies I'm sure. 

I wouldn't doubt they are greenlighting ideas for future GOT games as we speak. 

On 11/27/2022 at 12:36 AM, Kane99 said:

I don't think popularity is an issue for the Game of Thrones franchise. It's one of the biggest franchises out there today, and continues to gain popularity due to its current show. HBO knows they have money with GOT and could easily make more media around it if they wanted to. They already license the characters to other companies like Funko for the Funko pop figures, and other companies I'm sure. 

I wouldn't doubt they are greenlighting ideas for future GOT games as we speak. 

Game of Thrones has a really strong fan base so if a video game on game of thrones is eventually out I think fans would still be more than willing to play.

I don't know if a new game of thrones Game would be out anytime soon but I am quite sure that we would get a hint about it if something like that is ever going to happen.