Register Now
StaceyPowers

Which Shooter Games Have the Most “Boom” Value?

I remember chatting on a COD forum at one point and someone said something that stuck with me. She was complaining that the latest game (I can’t remember which at this point) didn’t have the same “boom value” as previous games, and I knew exactly what she was talking about.

This has been a complaint I’ve had about shooter games in general over the years. Sleek graphics, well-balanced play, beautiful maps—all of these are important. But oftentimes, there’s something missing in the general “feel” of the game—the way it handles and plays. It’s too fluid, too clean. It’s like firing a gun with no kick.

In fact, I still think one of the shooter games with the best “boom” value is Quake III Arena from way back in 1999. I still easily prefer it over a lot of more modern shooters. Even with its clunky graphics and overall simplicity, playing it just feels awesome, and that’s something I’ve heard a lot of fans mention. It just has more energy and exuberance.

Contrast that with another classic shooter, Unreal Tournament 2004. Don’t get me wrong—it’s a fantastic game. Graphically, it is miles beyond Q3A, and it was a cutting edge title in its time. But it’s got zero in the way of “boom” value. Playing it, you feel more removed from the action. With a game like Q3A, you are right in the middle of it all.

What FPS games do you feel have the most “boom” value, whether new or old? Which have the least? How important a factor is it to you?

20 hours ago, greysun_morales said:

So I don't really play a lot of first-person shooters but when I think of some of the best shooters ever, I can't help but think about Spec Ops: The Line. Such incredible storytelling and gameplay. I felt like a lot of people slept on this as well.

I'll have to agree with Spec Ops. That was a definite "BOOM". CoD is heading the wrong way right now. Us narrative lovers won't even bother with another sequel if it doesn't include that strong campaign that brought us to tears a few years back.

21 hours ago, greysun_morales said:

So I don't really play a lot of first-person shooters but when I think of some of the best shooters ever, I can't help but think about Spec Ops: The Line. Such incredible storytelling and gameplay. I felt like a lot of people slept on this as well.

I recently interviewed an AI Programmer who worked on Spec Ops: The Line for a feature I was doing for another large outlet and I will say that the work they put into that game sounds breathtaking and they told me about the liberties they had to take in order to make that ending what it was. The gameplay, mechanics and world all shape together so well that it was really a huge underdog years ago.

On 9/19/2018 at 10:04 PM, DylanC said:

I think the latest DOOM title has a ton of "BOOM" value, for sure. Great game.

The multiplayer did not, sadly.

I just find mostly single player shooters these days to have that "boom" value. Games like Doom, Wolfenstein: The New Order and Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, Ion Maiden etc. It's very hard to find multiplayer shooters these days that give you that feeling.