Register Now
Gonassis

Any thoughts about the Steam Deck: Valve's Portable Gaming "PC" Running SteamOS?

Any opinions on Valve and the handheld Steam Deck PC, I say PC because windows and any "Computer OS" can be installed in it. 😁

Also, how do you think the gaming industry will be influenced by such a product as the steam deck going forward, as it runs using a version of Linux known as SteamOS.

Do you guys think that it's proper to be touted (by people) as a Nintendo Switch competitor? 🤔

will the Steam deck boom or flop (I don't think so though 😅) as I've read opinions from both the pro-nintendo people, and the pro-steam deck people. there's always two sides.

I prefer the neutral side, and look at the pros and cons of each.

And since the SteamOS will get people to finally notice and program, or develop for linux, do you think that SteamOS has a chance in the future to be a competitor as an alternative operating system vs. Windows and MacOS? 😉

Gear-Steam-Deck-Rendering-with-Laptop.jp

Really depends how much into portable gaming you are . Wether or not it's the ruoght fit for you is up to you to decide. I think it's amazing but I don't really like to sit in front of my PC or take over a TV to play a console. It can do a lot but it also has an endless amount to tinkering to get things working outside of the deck verified stuff in steam. Even with that it can be hit or miss.

On 9/5/2022 at 5:57 AM, Empire said:

Really depends how much into portable gaming you are . Wether or not it's the ruoght fit for you is up to you to decide. I think it's amazing but I don't really like to sit in front of my PC or take over a TV to play a console. It can do a lot but it also has an endless amount to tinkering to get things working outside of the deck verified stuff in steam. Even with that it can be hit or miss.

Well, you can always install Windows on it if you're not satisfied with SteamOS so it's not that big of an issue in my opinion. I've never personally used SteamOS so I can't really say much about how functional it is in various conditions.

7 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Well, you can always install Windows on it if you're not satisfied with SteamOS so it's not that big of an issue in my opinion. I've never personally used SteamOS so I can't really say much about how functional it is in various conditions.

That's an option indeed but then you won't get the support and whatnot on if something goes wrong and you ahve windows replaced SteamOS then they will say - Welll you did that

8 hours ago, Empire said:

That's an option indeed but then you won't get the support and whatnot on if something goes wrong and you ahve windows replaced SteamOS then they will say - Welll you did that

I really don't think that should be a concern. Steam OS is Linux based and is already desinged to run on the same hardware as Windows, just like those (stupid) Steam Machines from a few years ago. And if running Windows on the steam deck does cause issues, I don't think it would be unfair to pass at least part of the blame onto the steam deck. I think you're 100% correct when you say that Valve will be assholes with your Steam Deck's warranty, but I don't think this should put anybody off doing this with their staem deck if they want.

I've had my Steam Deck for a few months now and really love it. Pretty much revitalised my interest in PC gaming as I was finding it harder and harder to drag myself up to my PC desk to play at my actual machine.

I did order the dock for it this week but cancelled it for now. I expect I'll still get one eventually but with money tight it didn't seem like the smartest of purchases, especially as the reason I like the Deck so much is for playing it portably.

I thought the SteamOS was the standard OS that ships with the SteamDeck, or is it some other variation of an OS? I know you can put a lot of different OS's on it, but I thought they shipped with SteamOS to boot. 

I wish I could afford one, I'd honestly prefer one over the Switch, because I already have a hefty library on my Steam account, so having a handheld to take advantage of that would rock!