Register Now
DC

GTA creator reports Rockstar places copyright strikes on his prototype videos

What petty bullshit on the part of Rockstar. They did this to a previous co-worker of theirs, who worked on these games. It's not like it was anything new or would have been bad to share. They were literally sharing old work they did before the start of like the 2nd game. It's not like it's GTA V secrets or something. It's just Rockstar being assholes essentially. And the funny thing is, these videos have been up for years. In the video below, they show 2014. There may even be videos older. 

But, this developer decided to remove or private the rest of the videos that were up, even if they weren't owned by Rockstar. 

Someordinarygamers did a video on it as well. 

Was Rockstar always like this or did I just not notice? I always thought they were a decent company, made high quality games (especially RDR2 which, few flaws aside, was one of the best games of the decade), but I only really noticed this bad side to them with their crap remakes of 3, Vice City and San Andreas and their response to it.

This was really stupid on their part. Not only is it being petty as hell, but his videos could easily have driven people to Rockstar and thus increased their sales. There's more RDR2 videos on YouTube than can be counted. Yet they aren't complaining about them.

Dumbassery going overboard, as usual.

7 hours ago, Empire said:

Was Rockstar always like this or did I just not notice? I always thought they were a decent company, made high quality games (especially RDR2 which, few flaws aside, was one of the best games of the decade), but I only really noticed this bad side to them with their crap remakes of 3, Vice City and San Andreas and their response to it.

No, they weren't always like this. I'm pretty sure in the past they were more open to fans doing whatever they wanted with the series, like modding older GTA titles, and now days them wanting to remove the older games in favor of their remastered shit. And the fact they go after an ex employee like this, is messed up. They didn't need to take his videos down. If anything it's great to have that sort of content available to people, because it helps them learn how game development was back in the day. That's gaming history and Rockstar is tearing it down because they don't want anyone to have anything on them. Even though this was this guys stuff. 

But that's Rockstar for you these days. Only cares about milking as much money out of everything they do, or just GTA V maybe. 

20 hours ago, Kane99 said:

No, they weren't always like this. I'm pretty sure in the past they were more open to fans doing whatever they wanted with the series, like modding older GTA titles, and now days them wanting to remove the older games in favor of their remastered shit. And the fact they go after an ex employee like this, is messed up. They didn't need to take his videos down. If anything it's great to have that sort of content available to people, because it helps them learn how game development was back in the day. That's gaming history and Rockstar is tearing it down because they don't want anyone to have anything on them. Even though this was this guys stuff. 

But that's Rockstar for you these days. Only cares about milking as much money out of everything they do, or just GTA V maybe. 

From comments I have read on this thread I would say that as consumers of these games we are only aware of what the gaming companies give out to us but we don't really have concrete information about what actually goes on behind the walls.

The company might have had an issue with him in the past or before he no longer worked for them which could be why they didn't want him to share his own ideas which was made under their company and trademark and by right that copy or design belongs to them but since he made them he still had copies of them to himself.

Trying not to be bias here but let's also look are things from different angles and perspectives when making our judgements About an issue.

Haven't you people been paying attention to Rockstar in recent years? The Rockstar that most of us grew up with is not to be confused with this shell of a company by the same name. I mean, Take Two Interactive is their parent company and those lot have done stuff like this in recent years. Rockstar no longer cares about the GTA community, they only care about their pockets.

Sometimes I question how some of those companies behave especially with regards to things like this. I don't see any reason why Rockstar should have taken this issue up just to spite Mike Dailly and for what? In the end, they only hurt themselves in the end because they would have gotten more traffic to their brand through it. 

On 8/24/2022 at 6:17 AM, Empire said:

Well there parent company Take Two interactive was always like this so the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. The Rockstar that we remember as kids is no longer the same company - they've definitely lost their way.

On 9/18/2022 at 5:40 PM, Heatman said:

Sometimes I question how some of those companies behave especially with regards to things like this. I don't see any reason why Rockstar should have taken this issue up just to spite Mike Dailly and for what? In the end, they only hurt themselves in the end because they would have gotten more traffic to their brand through it. 

Honestly, it doesn't make sense to most of us - at all.

18 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

I think with the recent hackings, Rockstar is really going to step up more on video take downs on any of their stuff they don't like.

For the moment, it just seems they're targeting videos about the GTA 6 leaked gameplay as in the actual footage and not people expressing their opinions on it.

3 hours ago, killamch89 said:

For the moment, it just seems they're targeting videos about the GTA 6 leaked gameplay as in the actual footage and not people expressing their opinions on it.

The GTA 6 leaks were embarrassing to me as a gamer. They shouldn't have let that kind of thing occur in the first place, but here we are.

22 hours ago, Ajibusu said:

The GTA 6 leaks were embarrassing to me as a gamer. They shouldn't have let that kind of thing occur in the first place, but here we are.

To be fair, a lot of big gaming companies have been hacked in recent years. Just look what happened CDPR in late 2020/2021 with Cyberpunk 2077? They were also hacked and the source code leaked but they not only managed to survive, but the game is far more popular now (They have Cyberpunk: Edgerunners on Netflix to thank for that). It's not exactly the end of the world.

On 10/2/2022 at 11:10 PM, Ajibusu said:

There is a feeling that the GTA 6 leaks was an inside job as a result of Rockstar being an as*hole. If they can go this far against an ex worker, I now wonder what they do to their current staff. 

They're about like any other studio in that regards. Overworked, underpaid, impossible deadlines, and hellish working conditions. I don't think there's a single studio that threats their employees like anything other than worker ants. And it's all to keep their investors happy. If people would strike just one single time, I guarantee you things would change. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen.