Register Now
NightmareFarm

Favourite hype train?

Never really liked hype, if I'm totally honest with you. I have fond memories of staying up until after midnight for MMORPG expansion launches, like Mists of Pandaria for World of Warcraft, but that's about it. The most I'm interested in is the trainwrecks that come afterwards, although I'm not as smug about it as I used to be because that isn't helpful to anyone, least of all those ripped off because they rode said hype train.

Disproportional hype usually turns me off. I view every game with suspicion that gets too much praise and only praise, especially when gameplay hasn't even been revealed yet.

This was one of the reason I absolutely hated neogaf, you showed an ounce of scepticism about "current thing" and you got a barrage of toxic fanboy hate.

I don't know. I probably wouldn't call it a hype train, but I was hyped for a lot of games that many others were also hyped for. I didn't get interested in a game because of a hype train if that's what you mean. 

I don't join others in the hype if that's what you mean. 

I'm never going to deny not getting in on the hype train of Playstation 5. I was very much interested and deep in it to the point where it even become frustrating for me now. With all the hype in/on it, I still haven't been able to get one for myself. Why wouldn't I be frustrated? 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

I'm never going to deny not getting in on the hype train of Playstation 5. I was very much interested and deep in it to the point where it even become frustrating for me now. With all the hype in/on it, I still haven't been able to get one for myself. Why wouldn't I be frustrated? 

Sony needs to make sure there are enough on shelves. The pandemic is over now, there is no excuse.

In terms of games I was anticipating to be released:

Elden ring , stray not much to mention because I don't really get too hyped up about any video game.

God of war Ragnarok hasn't been released yet and I am a big fan of it.

For consoles the Xbox series X.

22 hours ago, NightmareFarm said:

Sony needs to make sure there are enough on shelves. The pandemic is over now, there is no excuse.

Exactly!!! They have held onto that excuse line for a while now but it's a very good thing that everything is almost back to normal since the lockdown and the pandemic. We are hoping to see massive push out of PS5 stock in the market soon. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

Exactly!!! They have held onto that excuse line for a while now but it's a very good thing that everything is almost back to normal since the lockdown and the pandemic. We are hoping to see massive push out of PS5 stock in the market soon. 

I hope so but still not sure if they're going to try to get more PS5 units out. It's sony after all.

If it counts, I would say maybe going to midnight releases for some of the COD games. I probably went to two or three midnight releases for COD titles. I remember each time was quite fun, as the local gamestop would bring free pizza and you could do some gaming, purchasing, etc. I guess you could say we joined a hype train for that. I haven't done a midnight release in a long time though. 

2 hours ago, Kane99 said:

If it counts, I would say maybe going to midnight releases for some of the COD games. I probably went to two or three midnight releases for COD titles. I remember each time was quite fun, as the local gamestop would bring free pizza and you could do some gaming, purchasing, etc. I guess you could say we joined a hype train for that. I haven't done a midnight release in a long time though. 

I wanted to mention COD but I remembered I just loved first person shooter games and COD happens to be one of them I got hooked.

I actually was anticipating the release of black - ops back then and got it immediately it dropped.

LittleBigPlanet 2 I think. Before I was 12 I didn't know what games were coming out until I saw the toy shops christmas catalogues. Then I discovered the IGN upcoming game lists and found sequel to one of my favourite games and all the new features it showed. It blew me away. I think it was my first ever pre order as well. Now I'm 17 and using LBP 3 as an excuse to try get my girlfriend into games.

Not in recent years that i can remember i've been part of a hype train as i'm getting a bit to old for too be hyped about a new videogame/console release. As many of you know adult life is quite busy and you are just to busy with other stuff in general so whenever a game gets released it gets released, while i do follow the latest game releases and latest news a lot of times it just slips my mind whenever a game i'm exited for gets released. I did pick up xenoblade chronicles 3 on launch day but can't say i was counting the days until it got released. Just happen to have a store that sells videogames on my route that day.

As far as hype trains go for consoles i'd say the original xbox, it was supposed to be this beefed up pc inside a console and you know the fact i went to hell and back to scrape the money together to be able to buy it on launch was quite an accomplishment, probably wouldn't do it agian tough. Various stores had these preview dvd's as preorder bonuses where you could watch clips from the launch games, i think i must have watched that dvd atleast 50 times by the time the xbox launched.

As for a game then let it be tony hawk pro skater 2, this was in a time when nearly everybody was into skateboarding or atleast they tought they were but damn everybody was wearing skate shoes at the time, pants that were way too big and whatnot. Skateboarding was big over here so naturally the sequel to what many including myself at the time considered to be the best game of all time can't go wrong. I remember putting in a pre order months ahead before the games launch, studying every screenshot in detail along the way, trying to get to know the latest information etc. When it launched my god did it live up to the hype, yes it did and the rest is ancient history by now.