Register Now
DC

Xbox CEO Phil Spencer excepts fewer console exclusives going forward

As you are likely aware, Microsoft has snapped up a lot of major gaming studios over recent years, which has left a lot of gamers concerned about exclusives. Reassuringly, Xbox boss Phil Spencer has said that exclusives are “something we’re just going to see less and less of.” What do you think of this news and the likelihood of Xbox (and other major consoles) reducing or eliminating altogether console exclusives?

Well, I know how frenzied gamers were about the PS 5 console because of some exclusives on the.

Xbox has had quite a number of exclusives In the past and personal I don't bother if a game is exclusive or cross platform as long as it is compatible on my Xbox , PlayStation or switch I am getting it.

12 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Making their games available to other platforms will attract a bigger audience than console exclusives over the long term.

That's true, multi platform Games sells faster you could make a game with so much interest and people who are currently anticipating its release an exclusive in the first few week just to give it more attention since people would be very curious as to what the final release is like and after a couple weeks release it on other platforms that has usually helped to boost sales for some games in the past.

It's starting to feel that way, considering that PS exclusives are dropping on PC, one of them being available on Gamepass of all places, a PS exclusive in Death Stranding. And there are more games coming to PC, like the Last of Us 1 Remake, and the second game as well. The Miles Morales spider-man will probably make a jump to PC as well, and same with the new God of War. And it may result in some of these games coming out quicker than the 2-3 year period it takes for them to make these games PC compatible. 

But, it makes me happy, because I own a PC and can take advantage of a game like Death Stranding. Even though I am worried it's going to be boring, I'm going to give it a try soon and see how it is. 

It's pretty clear we are going to get less and less exclusives with the way gaming has been going the past few years and the state it is in now. You also should consider in the fact that costs of videogames keep going up and up and most games take years to develop, riddle in the fact that a lot of games struggle to even turn a profit you can already guess developers are going to choose either go for an exclusivity deal wheter or not timed let's leave that in between or just try and put their games on as many platforms as possible. 

Speaking about time it takes to develop a game as you can already start to see that yearly franchises are struggling big time these days, either to innovate something new or in some cases devs even fail to develop a working product at launch (wwe 2k on switch for example) just because of a way too tight schedule.

Also i don't really mind sony going to pc with their exclusives, sony fanboys aren't really happy with it i get that. But sony is a company and money has to be made above all and if it helps them to make a profit on their games, why not. Maybe we will get a second days gone that way because that is imo the best new ip sony brought to the table on the ps4.

26 minutes ago, Yaramaki said:
27 minutes ago, Yaramaki said:

It's pretty clear we are going to get less and less exclusives with the way gaming has been going the past few years and the state it is in now. You also should consider in the fact that costs of videogames keep going up and up and most games take years to develop, riddle in the fact that a lot of games struggle to even turn a profit you can already guess developers are going to choose either go for an exclusivity deal wheter or not timed let's leave that in between or just try and put their games on as many platforms as possible. 

Speaking about time it takes to develop a game as you can already start to see that yearly franchises are struggling big time these days, either to innovate something new or in some cases devs even fail to develop a working product at launch (wwe 2k on switch for example) just because of a way too tight schedule.

Also i don't really mind sony going to pc with their exclusives, sony fanboys aren't really happy with it i get that. But sony is a company and money has to be made above all and if it helps them to make a profit on their games, why not. Maybe we will get a second days gone that way because that is imo the best new ip sony brought to the table on the ps4.

Nintendo may be the only one keeping exclusively on their table. Sony and Xbox may be into sharing games, but I don't think Nintendo would ever do it. 

If anything I think we could see Nintendo allowing some games from Xbox and PlayStation. Kinda like how Nintendo tested up with Xbox. But I forget the reason.

5 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Nintendo may be the only one keeping exclusively on their table. Sony and Xbox may be into sharing games, but I don't think Nintendo would ever do it. 

If anything I think we could see Nintendo allowing some games from Xbox and PlayStation. Kinda like how Nintendo tested up with Xbox. But I forget the reason.

Nintendo is just very stingy and over protective of their games. They have their reasons for doing that but that's by the way. 

As for the decision of Xbox CEO Phil Spencer in not making more exclusive games, it's a very good decision because it's only going to be good for the company in making more sales. If they stick to more exclusives, they will cut off a lot gamers from playing their games. 

I don't buy Mr. Spencer's console egalitarianism, and quite frankly he doesn't do his brand (or ideals) a service by calling it "the wrong piece of plastic to plug into our television." He says all this but then proceeds to do things such as buying studios who can't or soon won't be able to get published anywhere else besides Microsoft machines. Why not just dissolve Xbox, go into games publishing and ensure the Playstation is the 'correct' "piece of plastic?"

I'll believe this when I see it. There's a difference between extending an olive branch to the wrong "piece of plastic" (I'm not going to stop quoting that), and removing exclusivity because it's not profitable.

Edited by Withywarlock

10 hours ago, Heatman said:

Nintendo is just very stingy and over protective of their games. They have their reasons for doing that but that's by the way. 

Yeah well nintendo can afford to keep their exclusives to their own platforms, not only that but let's face it Nintendo is 10 years behind in terms of technology so it's doubtfull most of their games even need to have the budget of any current gen "triple a" game and i'm sure with any nintendo published game even the more unknown titles are good to turn a decent profit. I'll admit i was kinda skeptical when i got a swicht at launch but now i'm more on board with nintendo then ever, imo the switch is the last traditional console as we once one knew consoles like no long installation time, you pop in a cart and you are good to go, offcourse i meanly use the switch for exclusives and indie games, eventough the switch is starting to show it's age by now it's still a damn fine machine with a huge amount of games you can't play anywhere else. My only wish would be that nintendo would just make a consolised version of the switch something.

1 hour ago, Withywarlock said:

I don't buy Mr. Spencer's console egalitarianism, and quite frankly he doesn't do his brand (or ideals) a service by calling it "the wrong piece of plastic to plug into our television." He says all this but then proceeds to do things such as buying studios who can't or soon won't be able to get published anywhere else besides Microsoft machines. Why not just dissolve Xbox, go into games publishing and ensure the Playstation is the 'correct' "piece of plastic?"

I'll believe this when I see it. There's a difference between extending an olive branch to the wrong "piece of plastic" (I'm not going to stop quoting that), and removing exclusivity because it's not profitable.

Always liked spencer, he is the face of xbox now and does it pretty well. While i don't read everithing he says, any human being is bound to say something stupid at some point, only if you and me do it, nobody is really going to care, well atleast i hope so.

Also Let's not go into microsoft and them activision/blizzard because it's getting old and stale by now. I can't see it happening them making all these ip's exclusive to their own platform, just like i can see starfield coming to a playstation platform maybe a few years after it launched on microsoft platforms because you know where are they going to recoup the overall costs that it toke to make starfield because apperently starfield is already one of the most expensive games ever are gamepass and probably physical/digital sales going to be enough to recoup som of the costs, let alone the 7,5 billion dollars they paid to aquire zenimax. 

It's almost crazy to say but combine the aquisition of activision/blizzard and Zenimax together with that kind of money you could quite frankly solve a lot of problems in the world. 

3 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

Yeah well nintendo can afford to keep their exclusives to their own platforms, not only that but let's face it Nintendo is 10 years behind in terms of technology so it's doubtfull most of their games even need to have the budget of any current gen "triple a" game and i'm sure with any nintendo published game even the more unknown titles are good to turn a decent profit. I'll admit i was kinda skeptical when i got a swicht at launch but now i'm more on board with nintendo then ever, imo the switch is the last traditional console as we once one knew consoles like no long installation time, you pop in a cart and you are good to go, offcourse i meanly use the switch for exclusives and indie games, eventough the switch is starting to show it's age by now it's still a damn fine machine with a huge amount of games you can't play anywhere else. My only wish would be that nintendo would just make a consolised version of the switch something.

No one is ever going to crucify Nintendo for trying to save their own skin. It's likely what every other company in their shoes would do and that's totally justified. 

Microsoft would just have to speed up the process in fully completing the Activation Blizzard deal. I think that it's taking too long than expected. 

On 8/26/2022 at 3:58 PM, Kane99 said:

It's starting to feel that way, considering that PS exclusives are dropping on PC, one of them being available on Gamepass of all places, a PS exclusive in Death Stranding. And there are more games coming to PC, like the Last of Us 1 Remake, and the second game as well. The Miles Morales spider-man will probably make a jump to PC as well, and same with the new God of War. And it may result in some of these games coming out quicker than the 2-3 year period it takes for them to make these games PC compatible. 

But, it makes me happy, because I own a PC and can take advantage of a game like Death Stranding. Even though I am worried it's going to be boring, I'm going to give it a try soon and see how it is. 

The most recent God Of War is on Steam and I'm so glad it is, it's like a PC gamer's dream come true. If Nintendo could do the same (they'll likely never do it), I'd be so happy.