Register Now
Shagger

Sony, You Idiots! PS5 Price Increase Announced

After a video game console has been out for a number of years, price changes are not out of the ordinary, but it's usually the price going down, but now Sony has decided to increase the price of the PS5 in pretty much every region except the USA by equivalent of around $40-$50 US. More from PlayStation Blog.

Here's a breakdown of the new prices;

image_2022-08-25_105608262.thumb.png.b88f534fb3a03abd45ae3d303c554183.png

Credit to IGN, who first made made me aware of this via this video from Gamescom. They also break down the price increases in more detail, so it's worth a watch.

There's only one thing I wanna say, Sony;

middle-finger-gif-8.thumb.gif.094fb1d263ffe201ec584352e2921edb.gif

I don't care about thier excuses revolving around the state of the world economy or inflation, this is same Sony that once sold the PS3 at a $300 loss per unit because they understood how important it was to get the console into peoples homes. The rules have not changed, so why would Sony make a decision that will decrease sales of the console (because it will)? It's not like they ever made much money of the hardware sales of the console itself anyway.

More importantly, how can Sony do this to people, especially with this console? A console that has been scarce for buyers to get a hold of and has been scalped to hell? It's almost as if of Sony are punishing thier fans for not being able to buy one yet, like thier fans have done something wrong and it's thier fault.

This move is rancid on Sony's part and I'm furious, and I know I won't be alone in this. What makes this more insulting for me is that I had a time slot booked for me by PlayStation to have a guarantee to be able to buy a PS5 yesterday. I didn't do it because money is not in abundance right now, but it feels like a slap in the face. It's like, "Oh, you're not buying on now? Well then fuck you! Now you'll have to pay more when you do want one!".

No Sony. Fuck you, and you alone. I hope thier is un uproar and you are forced to reverse this decision.

Edited by Shagger

With what I saw in the screenshot, the prices of PS5 is quite fair for the regions aforementioned compared to the one I saw here in a local store. I think people selling in my local store are just scalpers their PS5 price is way above $500, meaning they added over 25% to the actual price. I wouldn't say Sony did well by increasing the PS5 price, it is unfair, because their is no additional feature added to it. 

4 hours ago, Shagger said:

this is same Sony that once sold the PS3 at a $300 loss per unit because they understood how important it was to get the console into peoples homes.

Well, it seems that valve has now taken up this marketing decision with the steam deck, how come Sony has done the opposite now?

Does this have anything to do with the global chip shortage? 🤔

I wonder what the real reason is? Even after they started entering the "PC market pie" and started selling their Console exclusives to the PC platform, its still lacking in sales to make them do a console price increase? Is this a reverse psychology market tactic because the demand is high? 

On the other hand, the people with steam deck's waiting list from Q4, has now been bumped up to Q3, because of "smooth production increase"

• Article: I cannot get over Valve's aggressive pricing for the Steam Deck | VentureBeat
  • [Valve went with a ‘painful’ price
  • So, what happened here? Did Valve just discover some secret to lower its price? While I’m sure the engineers at the company did find some key ways to save cash, the reality is that they are almost certainly losing money on this hardware. Valve chief executive officer Gabe Newell confirmed as much in an interview with IGN.]
Edited by Gonassis
formatting

54 minutes ago, Gonassis said:

Well, it seems that valve has now taken up this marketing decision with the steam deck, how come Sony has done the opposite now?

Does this have anything to do with the global chip shortage? 🤔

I wonder what the real reason is? Even after they started entering the "PC market pie" and started selling their Console exclusives to the PC platform, its still lacking in sales to make them do a console price increase? Is this a reverse psychology market tactic because the demand is high? 

On the other hand, the people with steam deck's waiting list from Q4, has now been bumped up to Q3, because of "smooth production increase"

• Article: I cannot get over Valve's aggressive pricing for the Steam Deck | VentureBeat
  • [Valve went with a ‘painful’ price
  • So, what happened here? Did Valve just discover some secret to lower its price? While I’m sure the engineers at the company did find some key ways to save cash, the reality is that they are almost certainly losing money on this hardware. Valve chief executive officer Gabe Newell confirmed as much in an interview with IGN.]

The thing about this is that it actually makes far less sense for Valve to do this sort of thing because the Steam Deck, like any Gaming PC, does not guarantee a revenue stream for them, not like a console does for Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo. It is quite possible for someone to buy a Steam Deck, install windows on it then only ever buy games from EGS or GOG, for example. The vast majority of people won't do that and will use Steam at least along with other services, but the point is Valve get it, Sony used to get it, but then don't get it now?

1 hour ago, Justin11 said:

With what I saw in the screenshot, the prices of PS5 is quite fair for the regions aforementioned compared to the one I saw here in a local store. I think people selling in my local store are just scalpers their PS5 price is way above $500, meaning they added over 25% to the actual price. I wouldn't say Sony did well by increasing the PS5 price, it is unfair, because their is no additional feature added to it. 

Agreed. If Sony had said "Sorry that we have to increase the price of the PS5, but we'll throw in a few months of PS+ Premium for each new console sold after the new prices kick in." or perhaps a free game, then I would be a little more forgiving. But no, it's "We're jacking up the price, please form an orderly queue to suck it.".

Edited by Shagger

1 minute ago, Shagger said:

Agreed. If Sony had said "Sorry that we have to increase the price of the PS5, but we'll throw in a few months of PS+ Premium for each new console sold after the new prices kick in." or perhaps a free game, then I would be a little more forgiving. But no, it's "We're jacking up the price, please form an orderly queue to suck it.".

That's ridiculous man, I am deeply perplexed with this step taken by Sony. They aren't apologetic either, they are just for the money and not satisfying customers. At least, add a PS+ premium free subscription for 1-2 months, some free games, just as you've said, then make small price adjustment. It could've been forgiven somewhat, but, they just wake up with outrageous decision to increase the price of the console without telling us the reasons behind such increment. 

I keep saying it and I'll say it again, Sony has been making some of the dumbest anti-consumer decisions for the better part of 5 years. Do we really need to go over all the crap that they keep doing? I'd have to open a new thread just for that but I'm not surprised they'd do something like this.

They're raising the price because things aren't working out as they planned. Sony is beginning to slip in the overall scheme of things because they're realizing they can't compete with Microsoft in the long run. This is a second bad but necessary move within the last month in a probable succession of moves we will see ongoing.

Can't say i'm really suprised by this move, like it wouldn't be suprising if microsoft would slash 50 bucks of the series x that would be a brilliant move from microsoft their part.

The price increase is a logical move but that doesn't mean i agree with it. If you look around you everithing got more expensive these past few years ranging from food, fuel, electricity, gas,etc if you consider the rising costs of all that, it's not suprising that the manufactor costs of the ps5 is increased by quite a bit.

It's a dick move i'll give you that but a logical one and probably a move that was necesary if you consider the rising costs of something like electricity needed to produce a console.

Edited by Yaramaki

Man Sony with the hard losses as of late. What the hell are they thinking over there? I bet this is going to backfire for them, and will result in them changing their minds and then coming out with a heartfelt apology about how this was clearly the wrong decision on their part. 

It feels oddly familiar to another thing they did recently or a few years back. 

Kinda was waiting for them to do it inside of the US, but looks like they are going to hold off (maybe due to other reasons, but inflation and part costs have gone way up in other countries so it is kinda valid).

On 8/28/2022 at 2:09 PM, Kane99 said:

Man Sony with the hard losses as of late. What the hell are they thinking over there? I bet this is going to backfire for them, and will result in them changing their minds and then coming out with a heartfelt apology about how this was clearly the wrong decision on their part. 

It feels oddly familiar to another thing they did recently or a few years back. 

I think you need to the thing because they have been making some of the stupidest decisions for a good while now. It's the same situation with companies we grew up loving them, all they care about is money. Us the consumer are a distant second

I've had the PS 1 -4. It's been my favorite console.Now,fuck 'em. Always online for the new  Gran Turismo , The doubling of their sub service I was on. 70 dollar games. I'm in the US so there's not a price increase but it's just shitty.I'm having fun with my PS 4 and pc but IDK what/if my next console will be.I'm at a bit of a crossroads with gaming now. PC parts are overpriced and Sony pulls this bullshit.I'll be using my PS4 and my PC for a good while.Christ you gotta be pretty bad if you make Microsoft look good by comparison.Sony is getting too greedy lately. I can feel their arrogance and if they keep it up they'll fuck themselves with this BS.

9 hours ago, Lamarr the strelok said:

I've had the PS 1 -4. It's been my favorite console.Now,fuck 'em. Always online for the new  Gran Turismo , The doubling of their sub service I was on. 70 dollar games. I'm in the US so there's not a price increase but it's just shitty.I'm having fun with my PS 4 and pc but IDK what/if my next console will be.I'm at a bit of a crossroads with gaming now. PC parts are overpriced and Sony pulls this bullshit.I'll be using my PS4 and my PC for a good while.Christ you gotta be pretty bad if you make Microsoft look good by comparison.Sony is getting too greedy lately. I can feel their arrogance and if they keep it up they'll fuck themselves with this BS.

It's been noticeable for quite some time now. They're going down the modern Rockstar route and being very greedy and anti-consumer.