Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games with most disturbing atmospheres?

My answer doesn't fully apply to the entire game, but The Darkness' depiction of Hell being the First World War ("Otherworld") is quite fitting. As one would expect of the trench warfare of the Somme, it's a muddy, foggy place blasted by shells, littered with barbed wire, and swarming with the faceless parodies of German soldiers. What little refuge exists is mostly destroyed: buildings are crumbled with few people out of cover; those who are don't have the limbs to move and are simply propped up against a wall, appendages bandaged with filthy rags. Very little of the damned remains human: faces torn revealing mocking skeletal smiles comment on the state of the war, and even the sole animal - a horse - chews lazily upon a pile of rotten, fly festooned apples. The music is incredible and despite its triumphant moments it remains a dreary throughout, reminding the player that the struggle here is a Sisyphean undertaking, that every inch taken means inevitably losing two later.

The rest of The Darkness oozes with atmosphere, even if it doesn't match the above sequence in its dread. It's a dark and dingy game even when it's well lit. The Subway, where the Darkness cannot manifest itself at all, is a grimy and not wholly inaccurate depiction of what a train station looks like, even if it is under populated and with trains that arrive upon your demand. It makes the loss of Jackie's nearest and dearest all the harder to bear.

How about you, @StaceyPowers? What games do you nominate for this category?

Edited by Withywarlock

I would have to say Silent Hill 2, as it has some of the most unnerving atmosphere in games. From the red rusty hell you end up in, to the damp dark abandoned buildings. 

On top of that you will find annoying screeching mannequin like monsters and the industrial and somber music from Akira Yamaoka. I've never beaten it myself, but did watch a playthrough of it years ago and it is a fun, yet haunting experience. And from what I did play, it was tough. 

Well, isn't that something common with most horror and survival video games? It's actually what sells the game that without having that element in the game, it's more likely to meet its potential. I find it very common in the Mass Effect game series environment. 

Remember folks, the question isn't just "games with the most disturbing atmospheres," it's "what makes them so unsettling?" Let's answer that too rather than just listing games.

On 8/27/2022 at 9:07 PM, Justin11 said:

GTA series games have disturbing atmosphere. Noise comes from pedestrians, from the vehicles, police around the cities of the game, just so real. 

I disagree, I don't see how it's disturbing, but I'm more than happy for you to enlighten me. The only time I've been disturbed by a GTA game was in San Andreas when there were empty areas. The graves in particular, I was expecting ghosts and ghouls to leap out. I don't think they're vulnerable to TEK-9s though...

8 hours ago, Heatman said:

Well, isn't that something common with most horror and survival video games? It's actually what sells the game that without having that element in the game, it's more likely to meet its potential.

Yes.

8 hours ago, Heatman said:

I find it very common in the Mass Effect game series environment. 

How so? I can't think of many parts of the Mass Effect games that have 'disturbing' environments. The only time I was spooked by the game was during the first level where the Shepard's fighting husks, a weak but terrifying enemy in the lore.

Don't play a ton of (survival) horror games myself but i'm guessing you could pretty much nominate any survival horror game as a candidate for this thread. Offcourse one game in particulair comes to mind the almighty and arguable the best horror game ever made -> Deadly Premonition but since i've brought that game up enough already why not leave it at that do consider it my number one pick for this thread. My nominations for this thread will be a bit off as they are not particulairy horror games but nonetheless are worthy of a mention.

Among The sleep -> you could call this a horror game eventough i find it more of an adventure game then anything else where you play as a toddler who is trapped inside a scary dream and goes on to search for his mother, it only takes 3-4 hours to complete so perfect game to play on a rainy november evening, since you play as a child some of the shit is really disturbing well imo.

Graveyard Keeper -> has you managing a medieval graveyard where you bury the dead yourself, offcourse in typical fashion you have to make some disturbing choices along the way as to upgrade your graveyard. That along makes it having a disturbing atmosphere while still being a relaxing gaming experience. what more can i say about Graveyard keep if you like stardew valley and have 20 bucks to spare this will be your jam i'm sure.

Gleaner Heights -> Yet another stardew valley clone yes i know but hear me out, while not as refined as stardew valley it's a more sinister or macabre version of stardew valley, while all the usual life sime and farming elements are there it's only the surface once you start digging deeper you'll find a suprising dark/disturbing adventure game waiting for you. 

Maybe not choices you'd expect here but why not think outside the box for once. It would have been so much easier to just resident evil or clock tower but you know not really a fan of those games anymore.

Edited by Yaramaki
Forgot to add something

On 8/26/2022 at 3:53 AM, Empire said:

Alien Isolation. The excellent use of lighting and music, along with the retro sci-fi art style taken straight from the first Alien film, creates a truly unnerving atmosphere that has sent chills up my spine on many occasions.

I was going to say that but seriously a good shout.

On 8/26/2022 at 1:00 PM, Ajibusu said:

Resident Evil 7 is not a game for kids. I bet not all adults can feel comfortable playing this game as it has a lot of horror scenes that can make one feel unease over sleeping. 

Resident Evil 7 is scary but I was more scared of running out of ammo if I'm being honest. Like what kind of Resident Evil game has scarce ammo? That's the biggest gripe I had with this game - I mean the family that's hunting you down throughout the house can hear or sense you if you're close enough and they can run through walls. You can't even throw a punch lol.

On 8/26/2022 at 1:45 PM, Kane99 said:

I would have to say Silent Hill 2, as it has some of the most unnerving atmosphere in games. From the red rusty hell you end up in, to the damp dark abandoned buildings. 

On top of that you will find annoying screeching mannequin like monsters and the industrial and somber music from Akira Yamaoka. I've never beaten it myself, but did watch a playthrough of it years ago and it is a fun, yet haunting experience. And from what I did play, it was tough. 

I like this one as well - one of the first boss fight with Pyramid Head while you're trapped in the room with him swinging his blade around was scary but the music and lighting plus the bad camera angle is what really made it terrifying.

8 hours ago, RedRainStudio said:

Resident Evil 7, it is well known to be the most disturbing scene. 

Can you elaborate, I'm aware it's an horror game which means it is meant to give you a little scare here and there but disturbing has to be something you can't seem to get off your mind and you might even get night mares from.

Edited by Justin11

Watch Dogs Legion for me is the most disturbing atmosphere in a game I've ever played. You pretty much have the entire city of London fallen into military/corporate control who commits terrorist acts on its own people. Kidnaps them, tortures them. Nobody is safe. Drones everywhere checking you out policing you with soldiers on every corner arresting you and beating you. Behind every closed door of a public place is a room of torture. AI programmed to murder you. Everyone forced to wear a chip implanted into your head. You aren't safe anywhere. It's obviously scary when games have monsters in it, but when humans just do pure evil to other humans on a large scale, that's way beyond the pale that is seriously disturbing. And that nature resides in us, even more disturbing. Which makes the game very real.