Register Now
StaceyPowers

Has adapting to new games gotten easier for you the longer you’ve gamed in general?

20 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Adding to what @Shagger, games have also been "dumbed down" in more recent years. For instance, puzzles in older platforming games tend to take a lot more thought than more recent titles.

They are working on voice controls for games now. What does that tell? It's all means to cut down on the difficulty of playing games. Sooner or later, everyone is going to be a pro and I'm very sure that it's going to take away the fun we used to have when you actually beat a game. 

4 hours ago, Heatman said:

They are working on voice controls for games now. What does that tell? It's all means to cut down on the difficulty of playing games. Sooner or later, everyone is going to be a pro and I'm very sure that it's going to take away the fun we used to have when you actually beat a game. 

For selected things in-game, I wouldn't mind voice commands like the Dragon shouts in Skyrim for instance. I can also seeing it being helpful for physical challenged people who are probably paralyzed from the neck down. However, I'd rather not play the whole game hands-free.

5 hours ago, killamch89 said:

For selected things in-game, I wouldn't mind voice commands like the Dragon shouts in Skyrim for instance. I can also seeing it being helpful for physical challenged people who are probably paralyzed from the neck down. However, I'd rather not play the whole game hands-free.

For physically challenged people, it's a breath taking incentive. It's going to breach their barrier over 90% in games that they couldn't get into initially. 

I agree with Shagger's point of view on this. I think these days games are just easier to control. I look back at games with tank controls as an example. We don't have to worry about those types of controls anymore, at least in most games. There are still some games with bad tank controls, but these days it's rare. 

I also think game development is easier to get into, since there are more tools out there to make it easier. And I think that translates to games being easier to play as well. 

There are still games I have trouble getting used to and grasping the controls, but most games these days are fairly easy to get into. And I think there is some truth that playing games makes it easier to get into other games. If you play your whole life, I'm sure you can grasp most games. 

On 8/26/2022 at 2:08 AM, StaceyPowers said:

When I first started gaming on console, it took effort for my brain to adapt to each new game I played. But by now, it is almost effortless. Have you noticed this for yourself?

I agree in that sense but I think it just comes down to when you first start playing a new system when it was first invented that it was a "new" "bike" and then every system after that is just a different model of the bike or a slightly different version of what the bikes controls are.

Games are games and as mentioned above the gaming companies tend to just make the user controls alot easier compared to the first games.

17 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I agree with Shagger's point of view on this. I think these days games are just easier to control. I look back at games with tank controls as an example. We don't have to worry about those types of controls anymore, at least in most games. There are still some games with bad tank controls, but these days it's rare. 

I also think game development is easier to get into, since there are more tools out there to make it easier. And I think that translates to games being easier to play as well. 

There are still games I have trouble getting used to and grasping the controls, but most games these days are fairly easy to get into. And I think there is some truth that playing games makes it easier to get into other games. If you play your whole life, I'm sure you can grasp most games. 

You remember how controllers used to have far more buttons than even most TV remotes? 🤣 I think that is another thing that made games so difficult.

18 hours ago, Kane99 said:

They always say that practice makes perfection ; so there's always a very good chance that when you keep playing a particular game, even if it's too difficult, you will probably get so used to it and adapt well to it on the long run. I had that experience playing Seriko : Shadow Die Twice. 

I think this depends on Interests and the kind of video games you enjoy playing, for me it just sit well when I play racing game and even if I haven't that particular video game before I just adapt to it easily.

When it comes to other genres like soul games it takes me a longer time to adapt to it.

No, gaming has definitely moved to the easier side. It's not a trend. "Old-school hard" games are now a niche genre. In reality, I think most people actually don't care for punishingly hard games. They want a challenge, but not a controller-throwingly frustrating challenge. The only reason those kinds of games were made was to eat up quarters in arcades so that people wouldn't beat them too fast.

On 11/21/2022 at 1:17 PM, Empire said:

No, gaming has definitely moved to the easier side. It's not a trend. "Old-school hard" games are now a niche genre. In reality, I think most people actually don't care for punishingly hard games. They want a challenge, but not a controller-throwingly frustrating challenge. The only reason those kinds of games were made was to eat up quarters in arcades so that people wouldn't beat them too fast.

Some would still play a certain video game because of the adrenaline rush and how hard they would try not to fail or get past a new stage.

Video games has various kinds of feeling you get from it so either it gets you excited or keeps you at the edge of your sit till you are done or maybe to tired to play that video game again.

When I first started gaming I remember that I would struggle with things such as following mini maps or following a route to a destination in game but the more and more I played games the more I adapted to how games had changed and was able to get better at following mini maps and directions to locations. Even when it came to bringing in the use of two thumb sticks to move your character and the screen that was something I struggled with in the beginning when that was really new, again I adapted and now it's something I am just used to and no longer struggle with.

23 hours ago, Shortie said:

When I first started gaming I remember that I would struggle with things such as following mini maps or following a route to a destination in game but the more and more I played games the more I adapted to how games had changed and was able to get better at following mini maps and directions to locations. Even when it came to bringing in the use of two thumb sticks to move your character and the screen that was something I struggled with in the beginning when that was really new, again I adapted and now it's something I am just used to and no longer struggle with.

That's pretty good - Just out of curiosity, when did you start gaming? It sounds like you started in your teens.