Register Now
Techno

Star Wars Battlefront (Classic)

When I was a wee lad I actually played the heck out of Battlefront Classic. It was one of my favorite games, nowadays I play much more than just Battlefront but recently I bought it again. I've played the modern but there's just a lack of chaos. Part of the fun is the pure havoc that comes with the AI, which always spams as many grenades as possible. The game actually felt like a war game as you had to strategize in order to get anywhere. There were always multiple fronts in a map that needed to be broken thought which added a lot of choice into the mix. The modern games are less "large scale battles" and more personal duels which ruined the havoc, trench-like warfare that added so much to the depth to the game. I also think the classic maps are better, but keep in mind I'm biased. The classic maps always had a sense of scale, while keeping the points of interest close together to add to a battle-like astrosphere where you will always end up in a front of a battle. All 16 original maps are also really well-designed, as they all feel, look, and play differently from each other. For example, the Cloud City map have multiple hallways that lead into each other creating a city skyline that can effect the yard below viva above-ground support. As with Hoth, there are tunnels that lead into each other, however you also have massive AT-ATs and multiple trenches that make the map less of hallway skirmishes  and more into a full frontal assault or a stealth mission. The final thing I want to say, is that the trooper based gameplay is more fun that playing as Darth Vader because you can't just run down everyone and survive. You actually have to use cation to gun down fifteen guys, instead of just winging it.

Did you ever play the Star Wars mods for Battlefield 1942 and battlefield 2 I think it was? They are pretty decent mods that make battlefield into a star wars game. I helped host an event where we played it with a community I work for. Was pretty fun. 

I played the first battlefront game, but didn't play much of it. I think it was on the PS2. 

I think I played a bit of the Xbox version of the game during a LAN party now that I'm starting to remember. I forgot we also played one of the Star Wars Battlefront games during said lan party. We didn't play it for too long though, as I remember we switched it up to Halo 2 instead. 

Fun to reminisce like this. 😄 

4 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Ah the good old ps2 battlefronts those were some good games

In my opinion the new battlefront games are good , the problem was the microtransactions, other than that gameplay was fun.

I'd have to disagree with you there in some regard - the original release of Battlefront 2 in 2017 was full of bugs in addition to the microtransactions and yes the gameplay is fun but then it does become repetitive as well.

Skyrim was also full bugs at release, hell even after more than 10 years its still very buggy, it only because of modding that the bugs were kinda fixed. And Skyrim is also very repetitetive. Does that make Skyrim trash? No.

Saying a game is bad because it had bugs upon release its not even an argument anymore (sadly and its not the way it should be, fuck I cant believe I even said that) but it is what it is.

Im not saying the new battle front games are hidden gems or under appreciated works of art.

But they are good enough on their own and the reason why fans hate them its because of the microtransactions, if it wasnt for that we would had those two games in a higher regard.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I'd have to disagree with you there in some regard - the original release of Battlefront 2 in 2017 was full of bugs in addition to the microtransactions and yes the gameplay is fun but then it does become repetitive as well.

On 9/1/2022 at 10:13 PM, kingpotato said:

Skyrim was also full bugs at release, hell even after more than 10 years its still very buggy, it only because of modding that the bugs were kinda fixed. And Skyrim is also very repetitive. 

But I've said that many times over - Skyrim the base game is average at best. And so are most of Bethesda's games - it's the modding community that made them what they are.

Saying a game is bad because it had bugs upon release its not even an argument anymore (sadly and its not the way it should be, fuck I cant believe I even said that) but it is what it is

I love the work that CDPR does with their games but Cyberpunk 2077 is a poor game - the concept was decent but the end product was disastrous so of course we can say that. It's just that gamers aren't holding studios accountable - I'm not a fanboy of any company. I could love all the work they've done in the past but a buggy game at $60 is a no go no matter who it is.

But they are good enough on their own and the reason why fans hate them its because of the microtransactions, if it wasnt for that we would had those two games in a higher regard.

The old Battlefront games aren't just brilliant to me because of the lack of microtransactions. The storytelling plus the gameplay is what really made me love the old Battlefront games and still cherish them. Battlefront 2 is such a poor and lazy release for $60 compared to the original and that's why I have such a very negative outlook on it. It'd be the same with the GTA trilogy edition - I'm a huge GTA fan but when a company starts really dropping their standards, I'm not going to support them because I know what they are fully capable of producing if they really wanted to.