Register Now
Kane99

For a Bully sequel to work, what does it need to do?

There has been rumors of a Bully 2 in the making for years now, and at the moment, it doesn't look like Rockstar is working on a sequel. Unfortunate, but that's Rockstar for you, maybe after they make their next GTA, they will make a Bully sequel. But I'm doubtful on that ever happening. 

If it were to happen, I don't think they would need to do a whole lot to fit in with the times. If anything, Bully was kinda ahead of its time in terms of how you interacted with others. From the geeks, jocks, preps etc. You could be friends with pretty much everyone, date anyone, and so on. I imagine a new Bully will continue that side of Bully, to where you're comfortable with all of the people. 

I think it will also go into the culture we have going now, from the way people talk these days, influencers, people trying to make changes and so on. There's so much they can take from the real world and fit it right into a video game. I think Bully 2 would be easy for Rockstar to make, it's just that I don't think they care to make a sequel. 

But I can dream. Maybe one day Rockstar will change their mind and make a sequel. Or hell, at least give us a GOOD remake of these classics, like GTA IV too. 

This is a tough one, and I appreciate how dull my answer is going to be. The core must remain the same: larger than life stereotypes with the school timetable management and classroom mini-games. But that's about it, and the question becomes is that worth the millions of dollars Take Two Interactive would have to pump into it? Probably not, especially when there'd likely be no online component for it besides limited playground arenas for snowball or peashooter fights.

Do I really want a sequel to Bully, or do I just want to play the game and experience it like it was my first time ever playing it? As far as I can tell Bully is one-and-done, and to make a sequel would take more away from the intellectual property than it would add.

Thanks for posing this question, I'm interested in seeing what others think to it!

4 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

This is a tough one, and I appreciate how dull my answer is going to be. The core must remain the same: larger than life stereotypes with the school timetable management and classroom mini-games. But that's about it, and the question becomes is that worth the millions of dollars Take Two Interactive would have to pump into it? Probably not, especially when there'd likely be no online component for it besides limited playground arenas for snowball or peashooter fights.

I agree, I don't want them to change too much about what worked, because they could easily build upon that if they wanted to. I think it is, because there is a fan following for Bully that I know would help it sell. And on top of that, it's Rockstar, I have a feeling they would be able to sell it based on recognition alone.

4 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

Do I really want a sequel to Bully, or do I just want to play the game and experience it like it was my first time ever playing it? As far as I can tell Bully is one-and-done, and to make a sequel would take more away from the intellectual property than it would add.

Thanks for posing this question, I'm interested in seeing what others think to it!

Being able to play it the first time again would be cool. But I think a new audience would really be into a Bully sequel. Either that, a remake of the original game would be cool, but I wouldn't trust Rockstars track record with remakes or even their remasters. 

But I get what you mean, is it really needed? Probably not, but I'd still like to see it happen. 

And thanks! 🙂

Edited by Kane99

A remaster is definitely warranted seeing as I can't get the PC version to run all that well and with a controller. I could just play an emulator, but that means T2I aren't getting my money and they're not really using the fire poker to see if there's any interest or life in the fanbase.

9 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

A remaster is definitely warranted seeing as I can't get the PC version to run all that well and with a controller. I could just play an emulator, but that means T2I aren't getting my money and they're not really using the fire poker to see if there's any interest or life in the fanbase.

Yeah if they at least give us a remaster or even a remake, I'll be happy. I think this game gets overlooked by so many because of the name. But the cult following I think will result in a remake or remaster selling pretty well. 

There's interest in a sequel, so I could see fans taking a remaster at least. I imagine the controls don't need much changing. Just rerelease it. 

It would probably have to stick with the original but of course a bigger map (school more detailed, more classes possibly). I'm not sure if we should have it from the same character or possibly have a choice between using multiple characters like GTA V has.

A big city would be cool where you play as a teenager or multiple teenagers, if they would use multiple characters i'd figure include multiple schools aswell. Include a job system like mowing somebody their lawn or delivering papers by bike would be a most to make money and past time acitvities as yeah what do teenager do these days to pass the time, i've got no idea lol, do they still hang out or is it online only.

It would probably be better to set it into 70 ies or 80 ies, so you don't have to deal with phones and all that jazz. Like i don't know i'm just making this up as i'm writing this post becoming the most populair person at a school as that is what the first bully was about and challenge rival schools for their turf in the city man there are so many things you can do with bully that could be great to do.

Hmmm...I agree with most of the points @Yaramaki and @Withywarlock made. It needs to remain true to its core which is the classroom mini-games and timetable management. That being said, this is a tough one because it's such a niche kind of game - there's not much you can do with a school bully's life unless Rockstar planned to go down a dark path with the Bully suffering from a fractured home, maybe parents are abusive or just fighting all the time or a drug abuse problem. But knowing modern Rockstar, they probably wouldn't do that.

man this is just depressing. seems like rockstar new england truly loved developing bully 2 but were instead put on a project that was bleeding interms of development for nearly a decade (max payne 3). alot of the features that were being developed for bully 2 sounds really cool too, especially how you can enter any building you want

I remember when Bully was released, it was a game that was so popular but I myself couldn't fully get into the game if I am honest. I have teens that actually played the first game and loved it and all too often keep asking me if I have heard anything about a Bully 2 with their being rumors around the internet regarding it.

I notice that Rockstar don't like to rush their games at all and that is proven with games like GTA and then time between new releases of their GTA games much like the time difference between 5 & 6 at the moment. I would imagine if there is a Bully 2 in the works, they will be working on that at their own pace ensuring that the game is as they intend it to be when they do decide to release it. 

In terms of what I feel they need to do from what I know from the first game, is don't make too many changes in terms of the mini games or even the way the game is worked around a school timetable. I feel with the first game they got all this right and not many changes need to be made to that at all. Maybe bring in newer mini games for the lessons so that we don't have the same old from the first game.